5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Clear coating (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/clear-coating-20769/)

butifo 01-17-2006 05:25 AM

Last Saturday, it was very windy here in NY. One drainpipe fell down from the wall and hit my 5 weeks old baby?s ass. :angry: The scratch is about 2 x 3 inch on trunk lid. The clear coating is damage for sure; I?m not sure about the paint. Instead of going to the body shop, need help to figure out how to fix it.

Thank you in advance.

stream 01-17-2006 06:34 AM

Depending on how bad (deep) the damage is, you might be able to polish it out, or if it's too deep you may need to take it to a body shop. If the damage isn't down to the metal, they may be able to color sand and polish it. Could you post a pic or 2 to give us an idea?

tachyon 01-17-2006 06:49 AM

I would take it to a good body shop.

I had a 10" long scratch on my trunk lid (not down to the paint but you could feel it with your fingernail) and the body shop just put on some new clearcoat and buffed it up and I cannot tell it was there. :)

I had them do this when they installed my M Kit - they did not charge me anything for this extra work so it could not have taken much effort on their part. :thumbsup:

butifo 01-17-2006 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by stream' post='225378' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:34 AM
Depending on how bad (deep) the damage is, you might be able to polish it out, or if it's too deep you may need to take it to a body shop. If the damage isn't down to the metal, they may be able to color sand and polish it. Could you post a pic or 2 to give us an idea?

Hi Stream,

There is no dent, just scratch, but fingertip can feel it. I will post picture later.

my530i 01-19-2006 10:51 AM

If the scratch is not too deep, sand it with 1500 grit wet sand paper very slightly. Be careful not too deep because it might sand away clear coat. Once you're done, apply wax on your electric circular polisher and polish those sanded area. You'll see it shine again.

stream 01-19-2006 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by my530i' post='226591' date='Jan 19 2006, 11:51 AM
If the scratch is not too deep, sand it with 1500 grit wet sand paper very slightly. Be careful not too deep because it might sand away clear coat. Once you're done, apply wax on your electric circular polisher and polish those sanded area. You'll see it shine again.

You're taking a huge risk trying to wet sand yourself, unless you have a lot of experience. Before you know it, you'll be through the clear coat, and then you have a problem.

My advice is try buffing out with hand polish, and if that doesn't work, take it to a high end body shop and ask if they can color sand & polish it.

butifo 01-21-2006 08:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[/quote]

You're taking a huge risk trying to wet sand yourself, unless you have a lot of experience. Before you know it, you'll be through the clear coat, and then you have a problem.

My advice is try buffing out with hand polish, and if that doesn't work, take it to a high end body shop and ask if they can color sand & polish it.
[/quote]

Hi Stream,

Here is the pic. Sorry for the late?don?t have a chance until now.

Btw, I wouldn?t use sand paper on my baby.

Attachment 14527Attachment 14528

stream 01-21-2006 11:13 AM

[/quote]

Hi Stream,

Here is the pic. Sorry for the late?don?t have a chance until now.

Btw, I wouldn?t use sand paper on my baby.

[/quote]

Looks like it's probably more extensive than you'd be able to polish out on your own--I'd suggest taking it to a body shop or high end detailer and they'll probably be able to color sand & polish it.

my530i 01-21-2006 08:11 PM

$1000 for sure!

Peter530i 01-22-2006 08:07 AM

as I see the pictures - body shop... they have to spray it a little over and repolish.......

don't do anything to the paint at home like polish or wax or whatever, you will cause more damage!