DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by tramposo' post='679201' date='Sep 26 2008, 10:32 PM
Anzafin, I just do it, this evening I have removed the swirl flaps and have proved a bit the car, in cold and in warm, and I have not noticed anything, except that before it was giving pulls on having passed for the 3000 rpm and now it passed softly.

The car walks and sounds exactly equally.

Hereinafter I will give you information of consumptions and other details.

Regards.
Sounds good!
Can't wait the other results...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the well-read one enough and has found this discussion, it offers enough information, among other things he says that the new axes of the swirl flaps measure 4,5mm. Instead of 4,0mm. of the previous ones.

Visit this forum in this page...

In addition, once dismantled the swirl flaps I could have seen that in them it puts the date of manufacture, which coincides with the date of manufacture of my car (Year 2004). I have measured one of the axes that I have removed and they measure 4,5mm.

I start thinking that my intake manifold was of the reinforced ones, but nonetheless I circulate calmer without the swirl flaps.

This is one of my swirl flaps:

My car is of 10/2004, if yours is equal or later it is possible that your swirl flaps are reinforced. I would think very well before removing them. It is my opinion.
About the engine, I do not notice anything rare, it goes equally or enclosedly a bit softer. The same consumption of fuel.

Regards.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Good work!

Even if your intake manifold would have been the new model, I'm sure you will be happy in the future without the swirl flaps.

Happy motoring!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Members

Improved emission control equipment, including particulate filters, is the third component of clean diesel. Particulate filters can be used with new engines or they can be installed on older trucks and buses. In both cases, to work properly and avoid clogging, the engines must operate with ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

top man - great guide !!
vote to make this a sticky
Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Members

Anzafin, did you later remove the swirl flaps on your 530d ?

Im starting to worry about my swirl flaps with so much bad press about them as mine is an Aug 04 530d which isnt good apparently. Mine is hurtling towards 100k miles and am undecided as to removing them or not.

Does it really make no difference with them removed anyone that has done the job on an e60 ? and has it had any effect on the auto tranny stop to go hesitation with them removed ?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I was looking at EGR deletion on mine, I did it on my 320d E46 and it improved throttle response and fuel economy, mine was full of crap tho......

I took a look at my E60 the other day and decided to leave if for now, as there is many new wires and sensors compared with the simple setup on the E46.

I might just use my blanking plate to cut off the EGR supply and leave all the rest of the bits in place, anyone else got experience with EGR bypassing on the M57 ?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='736755' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:45 PM
I was looking at EGR deletion on mine, I did it on my 320d E46 and it improved throttle response and fuel economy, mine was full of crap tho......

I took a look at my E60 the other day and decided to leave if for now, as there is many new wires and sensors compared with the simple setup on the E46.

I might just use my blanking plate to cut off the EGR supply and leave all the rest of the bits in place, anyone else got experience with EGR bypassing on the M57 ?

I've talked to some people on a Finnish forum about shutting the EGR off and they have all had fault messages. But I guess that after plugging off the EGR manually you should tell the car that EGR is shut off now (by programming), to avoid messages. I think.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='736741
Ok, here we go again

I contacted the dealer, which had removed the swirl flaps from one of their customer's car.
I asked is this really true they had done it and if so, was any reprogramming needed. I also
asked if they had any information from BMW itself and what is their (dealer) opinion about this issue.

They kindly replied that they had removed them and no reprogramming was needed .
No instructions from BMW (surprise surprise...), but they assured that removing the flaps will not affect
the engine anyhow. Only that it won't brake down because of those suckers anymore .

So maybe I'm gonna do another surgery on my car this summer .
Well, I didn't , but I will surely inform you guys when/if I have removed them.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='736968' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:17 PM
I haven't yet, but I ought to. Maybe on christmas holidays.
I had a conversation lately with a member TjVirta (Finnish guy too) and he was told by some Finnish BMW dealer, that cars made after the 8th of April 2004 have the reinforced flap axels (4mm --> 4,5mm). I remember member Tramposo had also found this out. So my car should have this reinforced mechanism, but I wouldn't trust this reinforced axel much more.

Like I said, I haven't removed them yet, but I quote myself from another thread:

Well, I didn't , but I will surely inform you guys when/if I have removed them.
Anzafin,

Please do remove the flaps so we will get more experience..

I will meet one friend next weekend who has removed several swirl flaps from e60 diesels and ask his experiences how he has done this.

Probably will do the removal to my 535d as I have done to my previous e39 diesels - just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine