DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Just by blanking the gas supply ? you think ?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='740808' date='Dec 9 2008, 02:06 AM
Just by blanking the gas supply ? you think ?
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not, but I know people who have tried to shut the pipe which comes to side of EGR valve with a plate, and they have had error messages.
You have to program the car again and tell it that the EGR is shut.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Members

in the link posted by Tramposo on page 1 theres a few guys with 330 d's that have plugged the egr pipe and drilled a dia. 7 hole thru the plug, this being the hole size reguired not to get an error message, i wonder if this could work for the 530d or has anyone tried it ?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005/525D/120kw

I have an e60 525d from 2005 with 150k km.
First of all engine type is 25 6d 2 with 120kw, this is a little bit weird since the e60 25 engine has 130kw, and the engine type is from e39, now, this make me asking myself if the car had its engine replaced or bmw mounted e39 engines on e60, what do you know about that?

Now, getting back to the main reason I come here, I went to an authorized bmw service for a routine check and they said the intake manifold its cracked and needs to be replaced, price: about 640 euros (~$850). Now, I really don't trust these guys, people around here tend to lie about the life of hardware, just to make an extra buck, they also said that because of the crack he turbine works most of the time and it might be damaged in time, but I can only feel and hear the turbine around 1700 rpm.

I went to another service and told them about the problem, and they checked and they also said it needs to be replaced, but they were checking in the leftside of the car somewhere under, they were checking for air flow and/or gases, now, I don't know much about cars, but I suppose a cracked intake won't produce gases, maybe a cracked exhaust (correct me if i am wrong).

Now from the pictures I see here, if the intake manifold is that black thing highlighted with red then they are dumber than me when it comes to engines. They din't removed the plastic cover of the engine.

Anyway, where its exactly this intake manifold (if its not the one from the picture) and how do I check its cracked?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine-manifold.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

Yes, your highlighted red part is the intake manifold, how they can tell its cracked without taking the cover off I dont know ????

The description you give sounds fishy to me at least, buts its hard to say if your not there and havn't heard every tiny detail etc.

Where you from btw ??
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

Having thought about this a little btw.....

If they were down the left hand side lower part I would suggest they were looking at the exhaust manifold ( which is what your turbo bolts onto ), if that was cracked it could cause some extra turbo noise ( whistle etc ), maybe they / you are confusing the two parts, and maybe indeed they are all full of shiiiiit and nothing is wrong with your car at all ??? lol

I hate it when your in that situation of not being able to trust a single soul with things, there is so many cowboys about these days
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Members

while sorting the engine breather filter

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=66936

i took the plunge and also removed the inlet manifold to check the condition of the swirl flaps and to make a decision on removing them.

The ports were very dirty with heavy sludge around them which arnt easy to clean, although there was more sludge around the main ports shown below rather than the swirl flap ports.

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine-bmw_e60_530d_010.jpg

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine-bmw_e60_530d_011.jpg

I have the later dia. 4.5 dia. spindles and they do look in perfect order, so with a clean opted to keep them and reconnect. Another reason was the discovery that the breather filter/seperator from bmw is an improved part and wanted to see what effect that had on engine running with flaps etc working as they should.
The diaphram bkt screws that operates the swirl flaps were also found to be a little loose which wouldnt help flap operation and also with the diaphram being a single acting operation, though the flap return to open was a little lazy so have added a light spring seen in the last pic to give a more positive action.
All went back together without drama and no errors on start up.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005/525D/120kw

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='743743' date='Dec 12 2008, 04:40 AM
If they were down the left hand side lower part I would suggest they were looking at the exhaust manifold ...
yes, that was the place where they were checking, even if I clearly told them that I might have a problem with the intake manifold, also the papers from the authorized bmw service clearly states that the intake manifold needs to be changed.

At that time I didn't know exactly what was the intake manifold, but it made me suspicious when they said it needs to be changed but they were looking to an exhaust manifold in the bmw catalog.

I am from Bucharest, Romania, and in Romania you can't trust anyone trying to sell/repair/build you a thing you don't know much about (like me for example, I don't have enough knowledge when it comes to cars). This problem is even worse when it comes about luxury cars like an e60 (I don't how its in there but here the average income in cities is about EUR400/month), so they will try replace you a part of the car even if its new

I didn't had time and the proper tools to open today the plastic cover of the engine, but I will do it tomorrow. I really want to see the crack in the intake manifold
before changing it. The car behaves normally, good acceleration, top speed 220kmh on gps (might be more but the highway was crowded)
Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Nice one Rob

Sounds to me like they are talking out their backsides Cosmin800, ask them to show you the crack in your inlet manifold, make sure they do NOT have the car on their own at any time prior

If you really feel you need some part changing make sure you tell them in advance you will be keeping ALL the old parts, also MARK ALL THE OLD PARTS with a mark that you will recognise so you can be sure they actually changed them and that you have YOUR parts back in your hands after the job is done.

Its the only way to combat fraudsters, its the same worldwide mate, not just Romania im afraid.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Members

Hi

A couple of months back I followed Anzafin's instructions on how to remove the intake manifold and clean the swirl flaps on my 2004 530d auto, mine had the 4mm spindles and all looked in good order.

After a good clean I put it all back together and all was ok but I couldn't stop thinking what a weak design they were and after some more research I decided they had to go.

My thoughts were that I was not prepared to take the chance and run my car with the inferior 4mm spindles, so it was either buy a new manifold or remove the flaps first and see what it went like.

So this afternoon I set to and removed the swirl flaps, took me about 2 1/2 hours and after a test drive I can confirm that there is no difference in power but as Rob said when he blanked off the vacuum pipe and made the flaps inoperative it does seem smoother.

I will give it a good test and report back but so far it looks ok and no more worry about swirl flaps.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine