DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by madein
I know, than CIC conversion is the best way, but does someone did the combox + internet on the CCC?
The combox wont work with the CCC. Even with the CIC you need the very latest firmware loaded for it to work. Remember the combox was never supposed to work for the E60, I wonder why BMW even bothered to make a E60 firmware for the CIC for it. Glad they did, but I wonder why.

As for Internet, I think the closest you are going to get is BMW Online.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

Hey guys, been a little slow over here and now I'm going away for a long weekend. I spent all night yesterday playingn with the OPS adapter that came and still couldnt get it to connect. It took me like an hour to even find the MOST port in the glovebox (thanks to Blood for helping me find it from an older post he made).

There it is... finally

And I was still in the process of fitting the new controller and the USB port in the armrest

I replaced that stupid vent with the aux/usb port with a frame that actually fit perfectly in there

That's it for now, I'm going to go put this armrest back in and put the car back together. I'll write up some more and post if I have time. I'm probably going to spend most of it trying to get this OPS thing to work.

Also, thanks Ehssan for posting that video in motion method, its definitely the best way to code it and it works great.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Goodness me, you are serious about this coding this. How much did that OPS set you back?

That stupid A/C vent is actually quite helpful (provided you have the rear set to cold), it allows me to keep my HDD cool, or a coke or kitkat. But if you turn the rear to HOT, its all a big mush...
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Great dude ,, I really wish to have the OPS ,, where did u buy it from , is the china knock off ??
Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

I know, I hadnt planned on getting the OPS adapter.

But I found a really helpful BMW dealer in my hometown who agreed to work with me and try it out. He was really into it which was surprising (theyre supposed to want you to buy a new car for this) and he took it for a day. In the end I get a call and say its refusing programming because of the vehicle order. I had a very good feeling that's what would happen. I go down there and we talk for a while and on top of it their ISIS system was down. In the end I leave with a 107 dollar diagnosis bill. But I cant say it was a total waste, I did use over an hour of their time and I had to give it a shot. I still say they were one of the best service departments I've been to, no where else has taken that time with me or had the techs come out and sit down with me and not seem in a rush.

The OPS multiplexer I got is clearly a knock off, I got it for a couple hundred dollars but I know for sure it'll work. I'm still deciding if I'll keep it when I'm done or sell it. When I weighed the options of taking it back to them after playing with the VO and maybe getting another 100 dollar charge for nothing... or change maybe even costing more than the OPS piece - that's when I decided to just go for it.

We'll see about the vent, it saved me having to cut anymore things with the dremel and I was sick of that.

Id consider programming someone elses cic for just a few bucks to just defray the cost of the piece, but the risks involved with that are a lot higher than NCS coding so maybe not.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subbing :-)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Contributors

If ever there is a firmware update for the CIC, the OPS is the only way you get going to get that in. Also you may need to do that for the Combox anyway because that needs ISTA/P v40 atleast.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

The next problem would be hot to make the combox telematics version work with current version of BMW assist. We know it's possible since it's now been done. Also, I am interested in learning how to fully do the retrofit/mod for combox on my E90. We need to work together to get this accomplished, and this way we can understand it. That's crazy you can order it for half price then vendors are selling it for. What do we need in terms of wiring for this? For my E90x, are all combox telematics or media same? If I get one for eE70x does it make a difference? Next we'll need to update both CIC and have latest combox firmware as well. I wonder if I can get the dealer to update my CIC to latest? Has anyone had any success with that?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by spazticrecords
The next problem would be hot to make the combox telematics version work with current version of BMW assist. We know it's possible since it's now been done. Also, I am interested in learning how to fully do the retrofit/mod for combox on my E90. We need to work together to get this accomplished, and this way we can understand it. That's crazy you can order it for half price then vendors are selling it for. What do we need in terms of wiring for this? For my E90x, are all combox telematics or media same? If I get one for eE70x does it make a difference? Next we'll need to update both CIC and have latest combox firmware as well. I wonder if I can get the dealer to update my CIC to latest? Has anyone had any success with that?
Combox media is as it says, media only, combox telematics is like the old TCU except it can do all the things the media version can do as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
New Members

Slyncka, let us know if you get the ops running.

Winkfp 5.1.6 is the latest version I found. played a little bit around with it, we need to know how to configure the most head and the ZB Nummer for the cic.

Quick Reply: CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60