DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

cheap angel eyes.. what do u think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by KyleB
You probably are biased. I can't speak for the others, but I have zippy interest in taking a dremel tool to my headlights that I just replaced last year and installing $400 worth of bulbs, just so that everyone can see my halo rings from three miles away.

My OE bulb blew out on the left side. At 9 years old, the right side wasn't far behind. BMW wanted $25 per bulb. For $10 more, I got LED bulbs that get the job done, look half way decent, and turned my 'bulb out' warning off.

Just because someone chooses a different route than you doesn't mean they're any 'less informed' than you. Not all of us are interested in rolling around with a $4000 set of headlights.
I kinda feel the same way you do. I really like the Orions, but have absolutely no desire to cut open my lamps to add them. BMW has fought condensation issues for a long time with these lights and to cut them there is just no way they could ever be sealed like a mfg process. Like I said, I was at once interested but when asked questions about how it was put back together it seemed the response I received were concerns I was going to high jack the process. I was only curious as to what it would look like, not doing it myself. I was not interested in having a light that looked horrible when you opened the hood and obvious that is was cut open or even to have condensation issues. Then there was the price thing that was the biggest turn off. the prices should be the price. Is this negotiable? If not, then post these costs so people can see when they are trying to decide if they want this option or not. Simon, this is not directed at you, because it was someone else I had spoke to about the mod.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I kinda feel the same way you do. I really like the Orions, but have absolutely no desire to cut open my lamps to add them. BMW has fought condensation issues for a long time with these lights and to cut them there is just no way they could ever be sealed like a mfg process. Like I said, I was at once interested but when asked questions about how it was put back together it seemed the response I received were concerns I was going to high jack the process. I was only curious as to what it would look like, not doing it myself. I was not interested in having a light that looked horrible when you opened the hood and obvious that is was cut open or even to have condensation issues. Then there was the price thing that was the biggest turn off. the prices should be the price. Is this negotiable? If not, then post these costs so people can see when they are trying to decide if they want this option or not. Simon, this is not directed at you, because it was someone else I had spoke to about the mod.
I believe that I am the only one capable of doing it like this right now.

There are variety of reasons not to post the publicly actually. To give one example, awhile ago, there was a guy going around poaching clients, quoting just under what Chris, DK, and me were offering -- only to not deliver the finish product on time (we are talking months, and one almost an entire year), end up butchering jobs, and even had the audacity to go back to the client to ask for more money. Private discussion is to protect people -- as there were a few members that showed interests publicly, and was duped by this person when he went after them via PM. There are multiple threads about this guy on m5board. Really don't know why he's not exposed to be honest.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

Originally Posted by SoullesS
Loosen the bolts pull headlight out a lil , pop the cover and take it out . Not much space to work with but still possible . That's how I did mine . Now I'm thinking to put hid bulb there but might run into probl due to hid bulbs being longer than AE bulbs gotta figure something out
i wanted to do the same but the problem is containing and focusing the light.... the bulb would fit without being to loong... ive thought of hollowing out after market ae and putting a bulb inside... the aftermarket ae are longer than the oem bulb housing....
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noberryafterdingl
so who said the cheap angle eyes on ebay were not bright enough lol... paid 30 bucks for 3 watt led.... no bulb errors
OP - please let us know the model or brand or whatever of the ones you got.

I want a pair

Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Here are mine; They look really nice during the night, decent during the evening but almost invisible during the day.

Next step, license plate LEDs