DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Mod complete! I decided on swapping my original circuit board into the new cluster housing and just modifying the LEDs on the flex-circuit rather than using the new circuit board. Hence no need to have to de-solder/re-solder the flash chip.

This one came out really nice. Thanks again to the "pioneers" (ricky1329, pinguhk etc) who made this possible!
Attached Thumbnails Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or-led_cluster2.jpg   Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or-led_cluster.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Mod complete! I decided on swapping my original circuit board into the new cluster housing and just modifying the LEDs on the flex-circuit rather than using the new circuit board. Hence no need to have to de-solder/re-solder the flash chip.

This one came out really nice. Thanks again to the "pioneers" (ricky1329, pinguhk etc) who made this possible!
Very nice
Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530DA Individual shadowline -04 Blue onyx sonderlack Toyota Supra m/t mit single

Done. Quite a job, but nothing real hard.
I cannot recommend to those who have never soldered anything
Also the needles were bit frightening for being very tightly stuck.
Of and works fine on diesel models too

Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or-20100624_013.jpg

Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or-20100624_010.jpg

Next needed to put those lights working on M5 knob and then maybe little bit more led-job with interior and controls
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Very nice Viktor!
Yes, the soldering can be a bit of a challenge for those who do not have experience with this given that the LEDs are mounted on a flex PCB and not fiberglass. To be honest I'm not totally satisfied with the intensity of my LEDs so i've already ordered better ones and will be doing this all over again in a few weeks. My current ones are 800 MCD and the ones I've now ordered are 2500 MCD. I want em screaming bright! Ha ha
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530DA Individual shadowline -04 Blue onyx sonderlack Toyota Supra m/t mit single

Very nice Viktor!
Yes, the soldering can be a bit of a challenge for those who do not have experience with this given that the LEDs are mounted on a flex PCB and not fiberglass. To be honest I'm not totally satisfied with the intensity of my LEDs so i've already ordered better ones and will be doing this all over again in a few weeks. My current ones are 800 MCD and the ones I ordered are 2500 MCD. I want em screaming bright! Ha ha
Thanks,

Using butanium solder is not a good idea with flex PCB neither. It needed much adjusting to get it cold enough. Should have used a electric one, but pen-sized and nearly pen-weighted solder is just so handy.
Those leds I used are 2500MCD. They do their part 1800MCD or so would be perfect I think.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

congrates
very nice
will do my next year after the warranty is over
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by viktor
Done. Quite a job, but nothing real hard.
I cannot recommend to those who have never soldered anything
Also the needles were bit frightening for being very tightly stuck.
Of and works fine on diesel models too

Attachment 108270

Attachment 108271

Next needed to put those lights working on M5 knob and then maybe little bit more led-job with interior and controls
congrates
Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk
congrates
very nice
will do my next year after the warranty is over
Why not another cluster from ebay? Those flexible PCB's where the leds are, can be changed back to stock in no time. And as I looked, they are same on all models, even in M5 I think. So direct swap could be made. Seen normal clusters on ebay for about 30£.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

WTF, sir!? That is amazing!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by viktor
Why not another cluster from ebay? Those flexible PCB's where the leds are, can be changed back to stock in no time. And as I looked, they are same on all models, even in M5 I think. So direct swap could be made. Seen normal clusters on ebay for about 30£.
can not find any cluster for that price, most of them are over 200+
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=b...286.m270.l1313

Quick Reply: Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or