DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changed my bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Great! Let us know what you come up with as I want to do exactly what you are attempting.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Hamann5' post='219251' date='Jan 4 2006, 05:24 PM
Dude theres somehting that I'm not under standing here.. the parking lights (angel Eyes) are run but 1 bulb on each side not 2.. the socket holder shown previosuly only hold one Bulb how is it that you have 2 bulbs on each side? Next question the bulbs you have how did you install then to the H6W format? as i see form the pics these bulbs are flat on the end where ass the stock Parking lights are rounded and in a H6W/BA9 format????
Go back and look at my previous posts, particularly this one.

The halogen headlamp E60s use W5W wedge (flat) base lamps for the angel eyes; 1 per side, for a total of 2.

The xenon headlamp E60s use a lamp assembly with a captive Ba9 bayonet base lamp for the angel eyes; 1 per side, for a total of 2.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Members

I've done a similar mod to an E Class Merc and a Land Rover with great results. I'm very happy with these bulbs and a couple of years- in they are performing as well as day one. Sames goes for Phillips Silvervision turn signal bulbs.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by das' post='219260
Dude theres somehting that I'm not under standing here.. the parking lights (angel Eyes) are run but 1 bulb on each side not 2.. the socket holder shown previosuly only hold one Bulb how is it that you have 2 bulbs on each side? Next question the bulbs you have how did you install then to the H6W format? as i see form the pics these bulbs are flat on the end where ass the stock Parking lights are rounded and in a H6W/BA9 format????
Go back and look at my previous posts, particularly this one.

The halogen headlamp E60s use W5W wedge (flat) base lamps for the angel eyes; 1 per side, for a total of 2.

The xenon headlamp E60s use a lamp assembly with a captive Ba9 bayonet base lamp for the angel eyes; 1 per side, for a total of 2.
[/quote]

Hi Das, I'm looking at your diagrames of the exploded head light units. The thing thats got be surprised is to see that the none Bi xenon (the hologen)which uses the W5W push in bulbs like the one in my earlier photo as Angel Eye/Side lamps show only one. I can confirm that I changed two W5W lamps per side, i have all four of the old lamps infront of me.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Just ordered some from here

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.p...&cat=256&page=1

?23.99 per pair, plus free whiter bulbs for parking lights for orders over ?15.

Osram Supersilver came out best on test.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/?id=61032

TIP - order one pair of H7's on two different days to get two pairs of sidelight bulbs. no postage gharges in UK.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:04 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='219380' date='Jan 5 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi Das, I'm looking at your diagrames of the exploded head light units. The thing thats got be surprised is to see that the none Bi xenon (the hologen)which uses the W5W push in bulbs like the one in my earlier photo as Angel Eye/Side lamps show only one. I can confirm that I changed two W5W lamps per side, i have all four of the old lamps infront of me.
Hmm...that's odd. I believe you, but I wonder why there are 2 per side. Is it easy to take one out, to see if it's one bulb for each ring?

I even checked the E60 535d right-hand drive model, just to see if there was any difference:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...798&hg=63&fg=05

Where were the extra wedge bulbs? Are they all in the same kind of socket? Do you have to take off the round covers on the headlamp assembly to get at them? Did you also replace the sidemarker lights (on the fender of the car behind the front wheelwell)?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by das' post='219481
Hmm...that's odd. I believe you, but I wonder why there are 2 per side. Is it easy to take one out, to see if it's one bulb for each ring?

I even checked the E60 535d right-hand drive model, just to see if there was any difference:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...798&hg=63&fg=05

Where were the extra wedge bulbs? Are they all in the same kind of socket? Do you have to take off the round covers on the headlamp assembly to get at them? Did you also replace the sidemarker lights (on the fender of the car behind the front wheelwell)?
[/quote]

Das, the W5W lamps are in individual push in sockets behind the covers shown in the pics..detail doesnt actually go to the level of the harness, just shows the covers, one on, one off. Didnt change any other lamps, the only others are fog lamps which are fitted in the front under the headlamps.
Changed my bulbs-blue_lamps_019.jpg
Changed my bulbs-blue_lamps_020.jpg
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Members

As per the Drivers manual for changing bulbs, each side has 2 W5W bulbs (1 per angel eye).
Old 01-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by das' post='219255' date='Jan 5 2006, 12:31 AM
I've been doing some research on the best ways to easily upgrade the angel eyes on E60s equipped with xenon headlamps.

E60s equipped with halogen headlamps use a W5W mini-wedge base lamp for the angel eyes. This lamp is a fairly typical automotive lamp, and is easily replaceable. There are also "bright white" offerings in bulbs of this type, as is seen in mixterk's installation.

However, E60s equipped with xenon headlamps use a lamp assembly that includes a captive mini-bayonet Ba9 base lamp, which looks like this:

Unfortunately, the lamp won't come out unless the assembly is taken apart, as is shown here:

There are a couple things I'd like to try:

1. An LED retrofit

Using the BF304-0CW-014B 4-LED white LED lamp shown here:

Attachment 13875 Attachment 13876

...along with a Luxeon LED collimator:

Attachment 13877

There are a few things that could go wrong here:

- It could be far too dim. This LED Ba9 retrofit, the brightest I've been able to find, has a light output of 1600 mcd (1.6 candela or 1.6 lumens). The existing 10W incandescent bulb it's replacing has a light output of 16 lumens, an order of magnitude difference. However, the nature of LED light combined with the collimator might produce acceptable results.

- The collimator, needed to effectively route light into the lightguides, might not fit in the current reflector.

- More modifications might be necessary, making it a more difficult DIY.

2. I have found higher powered, AND colored versions of the mini-bayonet lamp:

For example, there are clear, amber, green, and blue 23W bulbs of the correct type here (the original lamp is 10W):

http://easyparts.nl/showarticles.php...path=0-742-762

Osram Sylvania also makes a 20W variant of this bulb:

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/new_syl....asp?BatchId=29

Potential problems:

- The 23W blue bulb is promising, but the supplier does not sell outside of Europe.

- The blue bulb, combined with the effects of the lightguide, might get the rings to become very close to matching xenon headlamps. On the other hand, they may be far too blue.

- There may be problems with heat.

- Even a 23W clear bulb may not be much brighter: I tried going from a 10W -> 20W angel eye lamp (in fact, it was the same bulb) on my E39, with no discernible difference in brightness. This may be because the lightguide can only efficiently transport so much light, and an increase at the source doesn't necessarily correspond to an increase in the appearance in brightness of the rings.

In any case, I'm thinking about doing this stuff over the coming weeks, and I'll definitely keep people posted as to how it turns out.
I had a chance to take a closer look at the assembly. It was possible to take out the small Ba9 lamp throught the refletor with out destroying the lamp or reflector. I think a 15W "blue" lamp would have been perfect if it could be found. Maybe same 10W is enought with halogen or Xenon gas filled lamp.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I took this up with my dealer.

Do have the Xenon (bi-level) head lights and they are great.

I asked about getting the Angel Eyes and the inner H7 assist
high-beams and the fog lamps to 4600 - 4700 Kelvin lamps.

I should get I answer early next week.

Quick Reply: Changed my bulbs