DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changed my bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Hi Mick, the bulbs look cool.

A bit off topic but can you post some pics of your black dakota/maple interior as I don't think I've ever seen that combo?

Cheers
Old 01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='219652' date='Jan 5 2006, 03:25 PM
I had a chance to take a closer look at the assembly. It was possible to take out the small Ba9 lamp throught the refletor with out destroying the lamp or reflector. I think a 15W "blue" lamp would have been perfect if it could be found. Maybe same 10W is enought with halogen or Xenon gas filled lamp.
That's great news. Apparently, the 10W lamp is a halogen lamp already, and I have tried 20W lamps that I know are halogen in my E39. On E39, you have to take the reflector off to get the bulbs out, else it's stopped by the bayonet nipples. If you can actually get the bulb out by itself on the E60 assembly, that's great...I'm going to try the 23W blue halogen. I'm also going to get the purple as well to see how it might look. The only thing I am concerned about is heat dissipation, going from 10 -> 23W. I know that several people have used 20W without issue on E39, however, others claim to have known people with heat problems. This is all on E39, but I'll give it a shot on E60 with LED and the blue 23W lamp and see how it looks.

Did you take the lamp assembly out of your vehicle? Was it relatively easy to get out? I can see it, but I haven't even bothered trying to get it out yet since I was planning on ordering two completely new assemblies anyway.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Members

What do think about these, is this the right bulb? There are several choices for the ba9s bulbs, is this the correct fitment for the Adapt Xenon E60's?

http://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm
Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' post='219875' date='Jan 6 2006, 12:26 AM
What do think about these, is this the right bulb? There are several choices for the ba9s bulbs, is this the correct fitment for the Adapt Xenon E60's?

http://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm
Yes, the Ba9-base bulb is the right base, and I've seen that site before, but you'll have a couple of problems.

First, those lamps might not be as bright as the ones from LEDtronics, and second, even with side-facing lamps, we may need something like a collimator to focus the light into the lightguide (the nature of LED light doesn't really work with point-source reflectors).

I also don't see any specs for the Ba9 lamp brightness on their specs page, but we can certainly try them!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
das
Site Founders

It looks like PIAA makes a white LED retrofit for the angel eyes:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=218944

Changed my bulbs-white_led701.jpgChanged my bulbs-white_led702.jpg
Changed my bulbs-white_led703.jpgChanged my bulbs-white_led705.jpg

Now why doesn't PIAA sell this kind of stuff in the US or Europe? I'll see if I can find a source for this.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:51 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Just changed the parking light bulbs to 'bright white' blue cloured bulbs.

IMHO they are not as bright. The blue glass filters out yellow and red wavelegnths so the overall brightness is reduced. But they are white !

Pics show the outer lamp with the new bulbs, inner lights have original bulbs so you can judge for yourselves.

1st pic 1/2 second exposure. 2nd pic 1/4 sec exposure for comparison.

Changed my bulbs-pic_1.jpg Changed my bulbs-pic_2.jpg
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

One thing has become obvious during this thread...you all need better digital cameras
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Can't afford one, spent all my money on the car !
Old 01-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

My new W5W xenon filled "whiter" bulbs turned up today. Here's a few piccies for comparison. (Yes I do need a better digital camera, but I think you will be able to see the yellow has gone in favour of white).

Changed my bulbs-kev525newbulb1.jpg

The inner light (on the left in the picture) is the new one in case your screen colours are as dodgy as my camera!

Changed my bulbs-kev525newbulb2.jpg

The right hand side (as you look at the photos above and below) are the new bulbs. They do look a bit blue on the photo's but in real life they do look white (honest!)

The one below was taken with the flash on and shows the colurs a bit better I think.

Changed my bulbs-100_1236.jpg

p.s. I have now changed all 4, the photos are just to show difference in colour.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='222260' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:27 PM
My new W5W xenon filled "whiter" bulbs turned up today. Here's a few piccies for comparison. (Yes I do need a better digital camera, but I think you will be able to see the yellow has gone in favour of white).

Attachment 14145

The inner light (on the left in the picture) is the new one in case your screen colours are as dodgy as my camera!

Attachment 14146

The right hand side (as you look at the photos above and below) are the new bulbs. They do look a bit blue on the photo's but in real life they do look white (honest!)

The one below was taken with the flash on and shows the colurs a bit better I think.

Attachment 14147

p.s. I have now changed all 4, the photos are just to show difference in colour.
I believe you Sometimes its said that the shutter speed can make the bulbs look whiter on the photo...your set proves these W5W do a canny job for little money..Nice one

Quick Reply: Changed my bulbs