DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changed my bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='217986
They are philips Blue Vision. I replaced the H7 main headlights and the side lights W5W lamps which illuminate the Angel Eyes.

My headlamp units are bog standard non Xenon, changing the lamps was as easy as removing the circular covers (2 on each haedlamp unit) and then simply removing the old bulbs, a total of 8 (4xH7 and 4xW5W)

They are Xenon filled bulb units with an ellement like a haolgen, (non arc like true Xenons, so no need for balasts and starters) Car sees them as straight forward swaps.

This is the old H7, New has the same element, but filled with Xenon:-

Attachment 13784

Basically followed the instructions in the drivers manual, a 10 minute job, one slight hic up, I dropped one of the twist off covers into the well underneath the headlamp, cant get it out, so have had to buy a new one...arse!!

I ordered these from www.powerbulbs.co.uk who repackage the Philips and Osram brands as there own, ?48 the set of eight, they are doing 2 sets of H7's for price of one at the moment so thats why I took a punt. I'm happy with the results, seem too a have a sceptic fom the US who thinks its down to my camera, but I know its not so thats cool.

Attachment 13783

I havnt had the opportunity to drive in the dark yet...(New Year parties and all that) so cant comment on how well the road lights up (30% improvement claimed) but the angel eyes alone are worth it.
Brilliant. Thanks for that.

However, stupidity still reigns.
I would have expected three bulbs each side?

1 x Full Beam H7 55W
1 x Dipped (Low) Beam H7 55W as well?
1 x Side Light W5W

It looks like the low beam has the same wattage as the high beam. I take it they are the same Bulb?

So your figure of 8 comes from the 6 above plus the 2 free H7's?

[/quote]

I think there are 2 x side light W5W on each side of the car. (One for each of the Angel Eyes).
Old 01-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='217990
They are philips Blue Vision. I replaced the H7 main headlights and the side lights W5W lamps which illuminate the Angel Eyes.

My headlamp units are bog standard non Xenon, changing the lamps was as easy as removing the circular covers (2 on each haedlamp unit) and then simply removing the old bulbs, a total of 8 (4xH7 and 4xW5W)

They are Xenon filled bulb units with an ellement like a haolgen, (non arc like true Xenons, so no need for balasts and starters) Car sees them as straight forward swaps.
Mixterk

I have the standard headlights so I treated my baby to a couple of the Halfords Super Brilliance bulbs which claim up to 50% more light. They had them on a "buy one, get one free" offer so cost me ?17.99 for the pair. They also use Xenon gas instead of the standard halogen and you can definitely see they have a whiter colour than the standard ones. Only thing now is that the Angel Eyes, do look even more kinda yellow next to the new H7's. Think I'll go for some of the whiter looking side light bulbs as well now.

Did you have to unscrew anything to change the side light bulbs, or did you manage to get your fingers into the recess with everything still in place? (I changed the low beam H7's without undoing anything except the covers).

Also, are the side light bulbs Xenon gas as well, or are they whiter just because of the blue colour?

Any tips gladly received.
[/quote]

The W5W's simply pull out, they are Xenon filled also, they have a more blue colour to the lamp, the light is very white. As easy to fit as the H7's, prob a tad easier as they are push in
Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooooh, I feel conned...
Compare the eye brow brightness with the angle ones and you see what I meant. Also, ask someone with some photo background and you'll get some explanation.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217993
Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217916' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:43 PM

Mixterk

I have the standard headlights so I treated my baby to a couple of the Halfords Super Brilliance bulbs which claim up to 50% more light. They had them on a "buy one, get one free" offer so cost me ?17.99 for the pair. They also use Xenon gas instead of the standard halogen and you can definitely see they have a whiter colour than the standard ones. Only thing now is that the Angel Eyes, do look even more kinda yellow next to the new H7's. Think I'll go for some of the whiter looking side light bulbs as well now.

Did you have to unscrew anything to change the side light bulbs, or did you manage to get your fingers into the recess with everything still in place? (I changed the low beam H7's without undoing anything except the covers).

Also, are the side light bulbs Xenon gas as well, or are they whiter just because of the blue colour?

The W5W's simply pull out, they are Xenon filled also, they have a more blue colour to the lamp, the light is very white. As easy to fit as the H7's, prob a tad easier as they are push in
[/quote]

Thanks - I'll order some of the W5W's as soon as I can.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 and F10

great!!
do you also have pics with high beams or what is that called.(not only the angel eyes but with your lights that you put it on when you drive in the dark.)

Thank you very much
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217993
[/quote]
I've had a look under my bonnet - I've got Adaptive Xenon's. It looks a nightmare! One half (the inner) is fiddly but I'm sure I could do it. The other half (outside with Xenon's) is totally inaccessible as I was warned! The whole unit needs to be removed for access!!! I'm not giving up yet - I presume the top two torx screws hold the whole unit in?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

What about the bulbs listed here? http://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm
I've read on this forum someone has put these on and get it working before.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Yeah, this is not possible (easily) on E60 with xenons; the bulb that powers the angel eye rings is bulb assembly 5 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...g=63&fg=05&hl=6

Changed my bulbs-219.png

It looks like this:

Changed my bulbs-picture_1.png Changed my bulbs-picture_2.png

You can take apart the assembly, as shown above, but the lamp isn't a standard type for which the bluer/whiter replacements are available.

On E60 with halogens, it is a standalone bulb for the angel eyes...Note bulb 2 and bulb socket 3 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...g=63&fg=05&hl=5

Changed my bulbs-218.png
Old 01-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by das' post='218077' date='Jan 2 2006, 12:05 AM
Das,

In the diagram above, the fact that #9 is a H7 bulb, does this mean that those lights are NOT bi-xenon ?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Members

The question is how do we replace the bulb in the "BULB SOCKET WITH BULB F PARKING LIGHT". There appears there would be a way to do so by pulling out the socket and replacing the bulb. We would need to know what the bulb size is. I believe most of us have the adaptive Xenon's and the assembly looks a lot more difficult.

Has anyone pulled this apart to get the bulb size???

Quick Reply: Changed my bulbs