DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CDV Delete After Action Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Jun 25 2004, 05:17 AM
I'm glad your happy with the results. I'm looking to get this done in the future and was wondering how much the shop charged you. And also, does this affect warranty in any way?

Since the car is rather new and lots of panels need to be removed, I'll make sure I have a qualified mechanic to do the job.
Honestly, the shop did the CDV mod "gratis," since this was the first E60 they'd seen. The oil change would have been $80, but I had a $50 gift card.

Not sure about the warranty issues, since I put a CDV back in it's place (albeit, a drilled out CDV). I doubt any BMW mechanic would even know.

-MrB
Old 06-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Members

Mrbelk one problem I had with the Mcars with the CDV deleted is the fact that the clutch pedal required greater effort than my 545 which is not heavy and easy to drive especially in heavy traffic. After installing the deleted valve does the clutch effort remains the same or does it get heavy?. Also are you considering a short shifter which I heard will improve the shifting experience. Thanks.

545 manual, Saphire black/black, PDC, L7
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Mr. Belk

I got my car back and had a chance to test the clutch a bit. This car is a monster, I had her spinning the wheels at 35mph when changing gears from first to second. I noticed that on second and third after 3000 rmp is when the car really moves when punched.

I now understand your point perfectly about the clutch.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by squadri' date='Jun 27 2004, 10:43 AM
Mrbelk one problem I had with the Mcars with the CDV deleted is the fact that the clutch pedal required greater effort than my 545 which is not heavy and easy to drive especially in heavy traffic. After installing the deleted valve does the clutch effort remains the same or does it get heavy?. Also are you considering a short shifter which I heard will improve the shifting experience. Thanks.

545 manual, Saphire black/black, PDC, L7
The clutch effort may be a little heavier, but it's definitely not like you're getting a leg workout. The thing I noticed about the pedal effort is that it is consistent throughout the full travel of the pedal; no mushy zone at the bottom.

-MrB
Old 07-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 8 2004, 03:12 PM
Mr. Belk

I got my car back and had a chance to test the clutch a bit. This car is a monster, I had her spinning the wheels at 35mph when changing gears from first to second. I noticed that on second and third after 3000 rmp is when the car really moves when punched.

I now understand your point perfectly about the clutch.

Thanks.
Mercy,

So did you get the CDV replaced, too? It took me a day or two to "relearn" the clutch action after getting the CDV swapped out, but now that it's been a couple weeks, the action is very smooth, and I much prefer what I have now to what BMW gives us manual tranny drivers from the factory.

I can feel the drivetrain loosening up all the time now. With my 330, it wasn't until about 4000-5000 miles that the car really felt broken in, and I noticed a substantial performance bump (at least the "butt-dyno" noticed something). I'm looking forward to that same bump with the 545.

-MrB