DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CD changer installation help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: honda accord

Thanks all for your feedback....

truley an awesome forum........
Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 520D M Sport

I have tried to install a genuine BMW 6 cd changer in the glove compartment.
there are two cables.
one with a moulded plug (for the power)
one thats wrapped in a cotton like wrap in a loop, feel along its length and you will feel a connector, carefully cut the wrapping off, this will reveal the connector, its just a through connector connecting the transmit to the receive.
disconnect this and fit the two ends into the BMW cable connector, this fits inside the power block, you cannot get them the wrong way round becuase they are keyed.
this fits into the back of the cd changer.
unfortunately this is the easy part, if the car was ordered from the dealer without the cd changer, you will have to take the car to a main dealer who will rob you of ?300+ to tell the i drive that there is now a changer connected.

good luck
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by andymuk
there are two cables.
one thats wrapped in a cotton like wrap in a loop, feel along its length and you will feel a connector, carefully cut the wrapping off, this will reveal the connector, its just a through connector connecting the transmit to the receive.
disconnect this and fit the two ends into the BMW cable connector, this fits inside the power block, you cannot get them the wrong way round becuase they are keyed.
unfortunately this is the easy part, if the car was ordered from the dealer without the cd changer, you will have to take the car to a main dealer who will rob you of ?300+ to tell the i drive that there is now a changer connected.

good luck

A cd is stuck in cd magazine in the glove box....any idea how to fix this....When i press the eject button...the stuck cd moves in/out but nothin much haapens...the cd wont play or wont highlight with the idrive.....Help!!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by andymuk
there are two cables.

good luck
You're right . Anytime you add a device ( satellite receiver, cd changer, etc) the dealer will rob you blind to update the iDrive. That's why I haven't installed the satellite receiver yet. For the most part the components are easy to install however, get ready to be robbed by the dealer. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
You're right . Anytime you add a device ( satellite receiver, cd changer, etc) the dealer will rob you blind to update the iDrive. That's why I haven't installed the satellite receiver yet. For the most part the components are easy to install however, get ready to be robbed by the dealer. Just my .02 cents.

My dealer only charged me $50 to code mine for a CD changer (which was done for an Ipod adapter). It all depends on the relationship you have with your dealer I think.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 AM
New Members

Hi Guys,

I know this is a "4 years later on reply" but thought it might be easier to resurect this thread than start a fresh one,

I have a 2004 530d sport which hasnt got a CD changer, i'm toying with an ipod/iphone adapter and wondered what my options were...

If the car has CD changer prep do i still need IDrive coding to use one?
If i do have the car coded to take a CD changer will that affect the remap i've had?

what's the cheapest easiest way to get this working ? is an AUX connection possible ? (i'm not too fussed about contolling the ipod via idrive or charing it...

thanks in advance for anyh guidance!!

Ian.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530Xi w/Black Metallic and tan Dakota interior
Default Reply to PA 550-CD changer in Trunk

PA 550...that's interesting what you said about setups in the trunk to house the CD changer as I had questioned that to a sales rep at Bavarian Autosport while I was ordering the bracket for the glove box and he said that the bracket and wiring in the trunk area is for the Navigation equipment (which I don't have) and the only wiring for the CD changer was located in the glovebox (my car has already been pre-wired for the changer). I have not installed the changer as yet, and if you are correct, I would prefer to install in the trunk area. Please advise!

Thanks,

JD Sisley
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by jdsisley
PA 550...that's interesting what you said about setups in the trunk to house the CD changer as I had questioned that to a sales rep at Bavarian Autosport while I was ordering the bracket for the glove box and he said that the bracket and wiring in the trunk area is for the Navigation equipment (which I don't have) and the only wiring for the CD changer was located in the glovebox (my car has already been pre-wired for the changer). I have not installed the changer as yet, and if you are correct, I would prefer to install in the trunk area. Please advise!

Thanks,

JD Sisley
Theoretically, you can install the CD-Changer in the trunk. You'll need to see if the car has been pre-wired for Satellite Radio. If so then a fiber optic cable and a power supply are available for the CD-Changer. If not then the job is a bit more difficult.

You'll also need to replace one of the interior trunk pieces and install a mounting bracket.

The bracket shown here may or may not work.

It really is easier just to put the changer in the glove box. It is tucked out of the way and does not intrude on the available storage space at all.

Or just buy the iPod adapter and bring all of your music with you.