DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CD changer installation help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: honda accord

HELP!!!! trying to install oem cd changer in the glove compartment

i found the wire loom that goes into the cd changer but i notice there is no fiber optic cable in the housing....just the four tiny pins that appears to be power source....ive been searching and no success.....has any here been successful with installation?

thanks in advance everybody,.,

my car is a 2007 530i w/ nav...

on a side note.....does anyone ever actually put gloves in that compartment????
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by nyuballer' post='458454' date='Aug 14 2007, 02:33 AM
HELP!!!! trying to install oem cd changer in the glove compartment

i found the wire loom that goes into the cd changer but i notice there is no fiber optic cable in the housing....just the four tiny pins that appears to be power source....ive been searching and no success.....has any here been successful with installation?

thanks in advance everybody,.,
my car is a 2007 530i w/ nav...
on a side note.....does anyone ever actually put gloves in that compartment????
Was the car pre-wired for a CD Changer? If not, the fiber harness may not be there, which would necessitate installation of the harness from the back of the CCC to the glove compartment. Also, you will likely need to have the dealer code the car for this.

I know there is a fiber harness in the rear of the car, behind the left trunk liner. You could theoretically install the changer there, but I'm sure it would require coding as well. There's a bracket for a CD changer there, and a door to access through the liner.

Why not simply put an iPod or aux adaptor in? CD Changers are going the way of 8 Tracks.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by pa550' post='458517' date='Aug 14 2007, 03:31 AM
Why not simply put an iPod or aux adaptor in? CD Changers are going the way of 8 Tracks.
I agree. I only have the single CD player in the dash, but since I have installed the ipod adapter in the glove box, I don't even use it anymore. My car was prewired for a CD changer, so the fiber optic cable was in the glovebox when they installed the ipod adapter.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='458517' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:31 AM
No, I think they went that way over 5 years ago. My 2000 3er was the last car I had with a changer. My 2003 5er, which I picked up in October 2002, received a Phatbox immediately upon its arrival to the States. The Phatbox was later replaced by an ice>link iPod interface.

I was lucky enough to get an iPod interface for the MOST bus 14 months ago, before the product was released for sale (that was about a year ago) and I could not imagine anyone installing a CD changer nowadays when this is readily available.

Of course the 6FL interface makes the MOST interface look like toast but these things are all iterative. I'll have a 6FLin the 550i (delivery in 10 weeks).
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='458517' date='Aug 14 2007, 05:31 AM
Was the car pre-wired for a CD Changer? If not, the fiber harness may not be there, which would necessitate installation of the harness from the back of the CCC to the glove compartment. Also, you will likely need to have the dealer code the car for this.

I know there is a fiber harness in the rear of the car, behind the left trunk liner. You could theoretically install the changer there, but I'm sure it would require coding as well. There's a bracket for a CD changer there, and a door to access through the liner.

U are absolutely right.... there is a harness in the trunk but that space is gonna be used for an after market amp....and besides.....i wonder why they would put a changer in the trunk????...so it looks like there has to be a harness installed in order for me to use the glove compartment....(btw..what does CCC stand for)

i got a really good deal on the changer so thats why i figured to use it...

thanks again...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nyuballer' post='458569' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:33 AM
....(btw..what does CCC stand for)
Car Communication Computer
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by nyuballer' post='458569' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:33 AM
U are absolutely right.... there is a harness in the trunk but that space is gonna be used for an after market amp....and besides.....i wonder why they would put a changer in the trunk????...so it looks like there has to be a harness installed in order for me to use the glove compartment....(btw..what does CCC stand for)

i got a really good deal on the changer so thats why i figured to use it...
thanks again...
go iPod - you'll be happier. I promise.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='458587' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:17 AM
go iPod - you'll be happier. I promise.

how is the quality of the sound of an ipod adapter vs. cd?
(lets say they are of equal bit rate)

because i realize using the aux port for my ipod doesnt sound too good....or is it just me??
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nyuballer' post='458595' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:35 AM
about the same
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nyuballer' post='458595' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:35 AM

because i realize using the aux port for my ipod doesnt sound too good....or is it just me??

I installed my IPOD adaptor a few months ago. I remember I couldn't find the fiber optic cable at first, but then I located it clipped somewhere near the upper area above where the glove box assembly was. Look up. Should be stashed up there.

Quick Reply: CD changer installation help!!