DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Bump Stop cut on 545i Spring Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by salaki' post='708986' date='Oct 31 2008, 04:46 PM
I remember H&R tech saying that the bump stop is a part of the suspension assembly??? It you cut than it might lower it further more???? I don't think cutting bump stop would lower it more.

How do you measure the bump stop clearance? Load the suspension (wheels/tires resting on ground) w/o jack then peek inside the rubber boot and measure the distance b/ lowest end of bumpstop to the strut body?
Cutting bump stops won't lower anything more, unless your car is actually sitting ON the bump stops, with the springs wanting to go lower. The stops are just the last measure to absorb the "big blow" that could damage the strut. And, yes, they are part of the suspension in the sense that bmw's utilize their bump stops more than you'd realize in every day driving. My M5 had slightly over 1" of travel in the front, stock.....so you have to assume the stops were being contacted during those potholes or any big dips in the road.

As for measuring the clearance, you can do as you say by loading the suspension with all 4 wheels on the ground, but that only works if you have enough room to actually sneak a peak. Most lowered cars do not have that luxury, obviously. The other way to do it is to load the front (or rear) with the wheel off, using a jack under the control arm....while leaving a jack stand in place just in case. This will load the suspension the same way, but at least you can get a good look at the distance between the top of the strut and the bottom of the bump stop.

My old 530xi had its bump stops cut in half in the front, and I still barely had a half inch of travel. My rears were cut by a bit over an inch (about 1/3rd), and I still had plenty of room. It was the fronts that were the problem. Oh...they were H&R sport springs. Had I cut the entire bump stop off the fronts, I still would have had at most 1.25" of travel.

It's a topic many folks don't know about, and many will tell you that if the springs didn't come with instructions to cut the stops, then don't cut them. Mine came with no such instructions, and even with some initial trimming up front and none in the rear, I was totally sitting on them on both ends. I think I had about 1" of foam left on the fronts by the time I actually was OFF them. And it was only after that (and after trimming the rears by 1.25") that my car actually dropped another 1/2" or so, front and back.

The whole process was a real PITA, and it's one reason I won't drop my cars again...aside from the harsh H&R ride. Most folks have no issues, but you definitely want to check the strut travel after any drop, just to be sure.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

The bump stop cutting master has spoken! All rise!

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='709318' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:43 AM
Cutting bump stops won't lower anything more, unless your car is sitting ON the bump stops. They are just the last measure to absorb the "big blow" that could damage the strut without them. And, yes, they are part of the suspension in the sense that bmw's utilize their bump stops more than you'd realize in every day driving. My M5 had slightly over 1" of travel in the front, stock.....so you have to assume the stops are being contacted during those potholes or any big dips in the road.

As for measuring the clearance, you can do as you say by loading the suspension with all 4 wheels on the ground, but that only works if you have enough room to actually sneak a peak. Most lowered cars do not have that luxury, obviously. The other way to do it is to load the front (or rear) with the wheel off, using a jack under the control arm....while leaving a jack stand in place just in case. This will load the suspension the same way, but at least you can get a good look at the distance between the top of the strut and the bottom of the bump stop.

My old 530xi had its bump stops cut in half in the front, and I still barely had a half inch of travel. My rears were but by a bit over an inch (about 1/3rd) and I still have plenty of room. It was the fronts that were the problem. Oh...they were H&R sport springs. Had I cut the entire bump stop off the fronts, I still would have had at most 1.25" of travel.

It's a topic many folks don't know about, and many will tell you that if the springs didn't come with instructions to cut the stops, then don't cut them. Mine came with no such instructions, and even with some initial trimming up front and none in the rear, I was totally sitting on them on both ends. I think I had about 1" of foam left on the fronts by the time I actually was OFF them. And it was only after that (and after trimming the rears by 1.25") that my car actually dropped another 1/2" or so, front and back.

The whole process was a real PITA, and it's one reason I won't drop my cars again. Most folks have no issues, but you definitely want to check the strut travel after any drop, just to be sure.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by salaki' post='632598' date='Jul 25 2008, 12:37 PM
Off topic.....but bad idea cutting bump stops while holding in hand. I learned the hard way cutting my Nissan S12 bump stops with a surgical scalpel while holding them in my hand.

Severed my retracting tendon....had to have surgery to mend the tendon back together, followed by 10 weeks wearing a wrist cast, then 6 months of physical therapy. Totally sucked....and I still don't have full mobility of it and it's been about 3 years.
Morel of the story..........put stuff in a vise when cutting with a blade
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Ewe nasty....looks like the central slip tendon got cut. I learned the hard way with an electric trimmer for the hedges. I still have only partial feeling in my finger, and that happened 25 years ago.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='709360' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:48 AM
Ewe nasty....looks like the central slip tendon got cut. I learned the hard way with an electric trimmer for the hedges. I still have only partial feeling in my finger, and that happened 25 years ago.
yep...thinking back, I think thats what they called it.....all I remember is I couldn't pull my thumb up into a locked postion...it just layed their limp. I use to be a medic in the AirForce, so I had a couple of boxes of #10 blades and a handle, which is what I used on myself. The surgeon said it was the cleanest cut he had seen, and he didn't have to do any prep work.....atleast I did something right to help him out

That trimmer accident sounds horrid!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='709318' date='Nov 1 2008, 04:43 AM
Cutting bump stops won't lower anything more, unless your car is actually sitting ON the bump stops, with the springs wanting to go lower. The stops are just the last measure to absorb the "big blow" that could damage the strut. And, yes, they are part of the suspension in the sense that bmw's utilize their bump stops more than you'd realize in every day driving. My M5 had slightly over 1" of travel in the front, stock.....so you have to assume the stops were being contacted during those potholes or any big dips in the road.

My old 530xi had its bump stops cut in half in the front, and I still barely had a half inch of travel. My rears were cut by a bit over an inch (about 1/3rd), and I still had plenty of room. It was the fronts that were the problem. Oh...they were H&R sport springs. Had I cut the entire bump stop off the fronts, I still would have had at most 1.25" of travel.

The whole process was a real PITA, and it's one reason I won't drop my cars again...aside from the harsh H&R ride. Most folks have no issues, but you definitely want to check the strut travel after any drop, just to be sure.
Looks like mine were about right with 1'' of suspension travel pre cut then, i will see how i get on with 3/4'' cut from my fronts and if it turns problematic will have to fit some new stock bump stops, but atm all seems just fine with 3/4'' from them. Im really surprised a premium motor like bmw use the bump stops to increase spring rate for regular driving, kinda points at a design problem that couldnt be resolved and using the b stops was the last resort ?? imo. not good.

Sorry if this is a thread hijac, but some very usefull info.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='708986' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:46 PM
I don't think there's any different in bumpstop model b/ model or maybe there's?
Might be due to weight of 545's V8 engine vs 530d engine? I'm still new to bimmer and I don't really have extensive knowledge about BMW suspension.

I remember H&R tech saying that the bump stop is a part of the suspension assembly??? It you cut than it might lower it further more???? I was confused.. I know on MB cars, there's a rubber "spacer" to drop the car but on BMW??? I don't think cutting bump stop would lower it more.

How do you measure the bump stop clearance? Load the suspension (wheels/tires resting on ground) w/o jack then peek inside the rubber boot and measure the distance b/ lowest end of bumpstop to the strut body?

Unfortunately, I sold my Koni Sport Struts last time because I thought I didn't feel the need of upgrading because my drop was only .7 (fairly conservative) and the HR Sport wasn't that significantly stiffer (not a threat to bust to Sport OE suspension). Well I admit, there's another reason . It is because of Koni's Sport limited rear adjustability.
I was upset to learn the hard way that you need to adjust the rear before you install.
http://www.koni-na.com/comp.cfm
And once it's installed, you can't adjust w/o removing the whole assembly out of the car = re-allignment, reworking, etc.
The rear design defeated the purpose of having "adjustable" suspension that you can't even adjust externally.

Currrently, I'm running on Sport OE Strut & H&R Sport temporarily and I know I will have the itch to upgrade in the future
So far so good, but I still feel it's too soft for me. Not enough dampening somehow. I want it to be a little stiffer.
Tell you the truth that I wanted to opt for H&R Race but I would hate the drop. If only H&R made a spring in between H&R Sport and Race

Right now, I'm researching on Bilstein Sport (Not HD) as a replacement maybe sometime next year.
I read around that H&R Sport is about 30% stiffer than HD.
The idea is just go w/ Bilstein Sport (Like your Koni FSD) and be done w/ it w/o caring about adjusting it at all.

When I work on the Bilstein, I will for sure cut the bump stop about .3 as you recomended or maybe even cut about .7 just to be sure. I will measure it when I get a chance.

Which side of the bump stop did you cut? Top part or the bottom part?
Top part seems to be composed of "harder" rubber than bottom part. If you the bottom, did you just "force" the rubber boot mount ring into the bump stop or maybe did a little of trimming of the ring to slide it in easier?
I cut the bump stops from the top, so as not to affect the fitment of the rubber boot, plus the lower end of the bump stop is shaped so thought that would be best left untouched.

Ive yet to measure the rears to see how much suspension travel there is.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a relative article by Dinan

Suspension_Travel.pdf

Another possible solution is to buy the Msport bump stops, I think they are the shorter OEM available for the E60.

Parts 7905316 and 7905317 from set below ...fronts are not cheap though.

http://bmwfans.info/original/E60/Lim/530i-...33/ill-33_1339/
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='711000' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:27 PM
Here is a relative article by Dinan

Attachment 63629

Another possible solution is to buy the Msport bump stops, I think they are the shorter OEM available for the E60.

Parts 7905316 and 7905317 from set below ...fronts are not cheap though.

http://bmwfans.info/original/E60/Lim/530i-...33/ill-33_1339/
Thanks for that info nicke60gre, very interesting.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Members

dont know if im posting in the right place now but i guess its all related. Very strange that the m5 runs a higher stock ride ht than a sport package e60 yet the m5 has shorter bump stops !? meaning lots more suspension travel without using the b stops.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry595751
I cant imagine the m5 ever sits on the bump stops with regular driving, so it does seem to me the sport package using bump stops for regular suspension movement is some sort of design compromise, unless its some sort of marketing thing to get us to buy the superior m5

Quick Reply: Bump Stop cut on 545i Spring Install DIY