DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake fluid change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012 | 11:17 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by reedog117
I have a 545i with a 6-speed manual transmission. Do I need to bleed the slave cylinder as well? If so, where's the bleed screw? Or is just bleeding the brakes at the calipers sufficient?
What does your transmission have to do with anything? This is brakes we're talking about

Can someone clarify something for me. A lot of online guides suggest the catch tank should have a small amount of new brake fluid in and the tube should be sat in in, so as not to introduce any air back the way, through the bleed nipple.
Old 02-28-2012 | 06:12 AM
Senior Members

only if your servicing brakes and you want to crack the line open to push back the piston so pads will fit then yes you fill the catch can or bottle with fresh fluid. As long as there is fluid in the master cylinder then you'll be fine. If during bleeding that goes empty then you''ll have air in the lines and have to restart.

Always close the bleed nipple while there is solid fluid remaining in the line.
Old 10-20-2012 | 07:06 AM
Members

In the original post the author used a different color brake fluid to determine when the old fluid had been flushed out at each caliper. How do you know when you've flushed the old fluid if you happen to use the same color brake fluid as the existing? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012 | 11:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528xi, premium, navi
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N52

Nice DIY!
As for knowing when the old fluid has been flushed if using same color, you will see the change in color. The old fluid is usually darker whereas the new fluid is brighter (if the color is gold).
Old 11-13-2012 | 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by vsark
Thanks! I was reading the TIS for Bleeding the Brake System with DSC (SEE Attached) and it had some additonal steps like:

Bleeding rear-axle brake circuit
Connect bleeder hose with collecting tray to bleeder valve on rear right brake caliper.
Close bleeder valve.
Run through bleeding routine with BMW Diagnosis and Information System (DIS) with bleeder valve open.
After completing routine, press brake pedal 5 times to floor, clear and bubble-free brake fluid must flow out.
Close bleed valve. Repeat procedure at rear left.

Bleeding front-axle brake circuit
Connect bleeder hose with collecting tray to bleeder valve on front right brake caliper.
Close bleeder valve.
Run through bleeding routine with BMW Diagnosis and Information System (DIS) with bleeder valve open.
After completing routine, press brake pedal 5 times to floor, clear and bubble-free brake fluid must flow out.
Close bleed valve. Repeat procedure at front left.

do we need to do this after flushing in addition to other steps in the this thread?
Yes, that's the problem with this kind of DIY: lot of brake fluid is left in ABS/DSC system, so you need DIS or similar software to cycle ABS and get old fluid out of it.
Not to mention that Motiv pressure device is made out of plastic and can burst any time, sending brake fluid all over the place, damaging paint and possibly your eyes!

Thanks, but no thanks, I'd rather let my mechanic do it for $120 every 2 years.
Old 11-15-2012 | 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by hooch999
Not to mention that Motiv pressure device is made out of plastic and can burst any time, sending brake fluid all over the place, damaging paint and possibly your eyes!
Yeah, right. Has that ever happened or are you just making it up to justify paying a mechanic?
Old 11-15-2012 | 09:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Simple web search immediately reveals at least 2 bleeder failures:

Got a Motive brake bleeder? - Corvette Forum

Motive Products Bleeder *Precaution* - MY350Z.COM Forums

I am not trying to convince anyone not to use it, just make sure you weight risk vs benefits...
Old 11-15-2012 | 02:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by hooch999
Simple web search immediately reveals at least 2 bleeder failures:

Got a Motive brake bleeder? - Corvette Forum

Motive Products Bleeder *Precaution* - MY350Z.COM Forums

I am not trying to convince anyone not to use it, just make sure you weight risk vs benefits...

Ahhh! In that case I apologize for my baseless accusation and do humbly beg your pardon. Good day, sir!

Last edited by Stephen Max; 11-15-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2013 | 07:01 PM
New Members

nicee thanks!
Old 03-27-2013 | 10:12 AM
New Members

Thank you for this. Saves me a ton of time.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change DIY