DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake fluid change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done. Comprehesive guide and excellent photos for diy. thank you
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen
As a final thought, I personally think it is a bunch of BS regarding the necessity of changing the fluid unless you have a race car. Name any other manufacturer that has this requirement and don't say that BMW's are something special. In my case the dealer didn't do it on my car and I have a hunch it may just be a scam.

In fact my car will be 4 years old next month and it has been to the dealer twice for service and whereas the work order in both instances indicate a "Brake Flush", I know for a fact that it was never done.
It is not a scam by any means. Every vehicle that I currently own (Mercedes, Audi, Nissan and now BMW) require periodic flush of the brake fluid. Brake fluid will literally pull the moisture out of the air and condense it into the fluid, being hydrophilic, and the master cylinder caps are often vented to the atmosphere. That adsorbed moisture will cause corrosion, and will cause the brakes to fade at high temperature, like coming down a mountain pass.

You shouls see the state of your brake fluid over time... where do you suppose all that discoloration comes from? Its from corrosion and contamination.

I flush every other year on all my vehicles without fail, alternating between the ATE Superblue and clear brake fluid so I know when it has been properly flushed. My diligence in this helps to preserve the wheel and master cylinders from needing replacement.

I also always use the two person method to flush, as it doesn't require any special equipment other than a catch jar and plastic tube, and it is sure to fully excercise the master cylinder throughout its full range of travel. I always start at the wheel cylinder furthest away from the master cylinder and work my way around far to near when bleeding.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i w/sport
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Has anyone switched to a DOT5 Silicone based brake fluid?
Silicone based fluid does not absorb water and is harmless to paint.
You should be able to easily double (at least) your time between changes.
I know it's used in motorcycles and racing applications.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by tjkarch60
Has anyone switched to a DOT5 Silicone based brake fluid?
Silicone based fluid does not absorb water and is harmless to paint.
You should be able to easily double (at least) your time between changes.
I know it's used in motorcycles and racing applications.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom
This article is worth a read :-

http://www.american-auto-club.co.uk/...ask=show&id=70

Also,since around 2004 ,BMW brake fluid specification is DOT 4 Low Viscosity.The Shell version is DOT 4 ESL (extended service life),Pentosin is DOT 4 LV.Other manufacturers label it DOT 4 ESP (since it was specified for cars with Electronic Stability Programs).
Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM
New Members

Wow! Thank you can't believe the dealer charges $200 to do a brake fluid change on a BMW E60.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

I bought a liter of ATE Super Blue 2.5 years ago. It is unopened, and actually the container is still wrapped in brown paper and shrink wrap that came from the online store. Is this still good to use?

Understand once it is open, after sometime (definitely shorter than 2.5 years), it should no longer be used.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

If the container is perfectly sealed then you should be OK.However,some manufacturers have a use by date on the container.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Members

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Great write up! thanks

I finally got the time to do this and this DIY really helped.

Just a little note for other 545's and maybe 550's also:
The bleed valves were different sizes. I assume because the calipers are also different sizes. The rear bleed valves require a 9mm wrench whereas the fronts use an 11mm.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Members

I have a 545i with a 6-speed manual transmission. Do I need to bleed the slave cylinder as well? If so, where's the bleed screw? Or is just bleeding the brakes at the calipers sufficient?

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change DIY