DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Any idea of how to add a subwoofer cleanly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 03:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 16 2004, 11:15 PM
Based on the various posts about upgrading or not upgrading or even if things can be upgraded, it seems that the new BMWs should be purchased with the idea in mind that not too many things can be upgraded easily and should be purchased as an option (if possible).

I know that tire/rims/exhausts/springs have already been posted as upgrades, but we really don't know the long term effect of these changes yet.

Just my .02
That's why I dont like to do too much mod to my car. The only two things I have done (and i think they are harmless ) was to add the red-reFlectors and debaged him.

Other than that, i am very paranoid with mod my e60.

Maybe Maybe Maybe..I will replace my rimms because I have the standard 16. I want to go with 17 or 18 (the most).
Old 09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 16 2004, 10:58 PM
Here are some thoughts...
Replace the tuner with another deck? OK, and where do you plan on putting it?
Upgrade the amp(s)? OK, will they be compatible with the factory tuner??
Replacing the speakers is about your only bet? Even with that, the will probably be only marginally better than stock. :'(

Better yet, get an aftermarket exhaust and you'll probably never turn the radio on again... And that's only around $1,000.
EXACTLY what i'm thinking too. At best, I only lose some trunk space. Is there a centralized amplifier I can swap out? That would be great because it would already have a ground and power wire. I wouldn't think so, though. I THINK the power is all coming from the deck in the dash.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Sep 17 2004, 12:36 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Sep 16 2004, 10:58 PM'] Here are some thoughts...
Replace the tuner with another deck? OK, and where do you plan on putting it?
Upgrade the amp(s)? OK, will they be compatible with the factory tuner??
Replacing the speakers is about your only bet?? Even with that, the will probably be only marginally better than stock. :'(

Better yet, get an aftermarket exhaust and you'll probably never turn the radio on again... And that's only around $1,000.? ? ?
EXACTLY what i'm thinking too. At best, I only lose some trunk space. Is there a centralized amplifier I can swap out? That would be great because it would already have a ground and power wire. I wouldn't think so, though. I THINK the power is all coming from the deck in the dash. [/quote]
acribb, talk to your dealer before you mess with the wiring. They may void your warranty.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First of all the Magnassum Moss Warranty Act which can be widely viewed with various explanations on the internet does not allow BMW or Your Dealer to void your Warranty for adding a subwoofer if the warranty issue/issues is unrelated to your sub install. i.e. a sub install done right on this car would probably only effect the warranty on some of the stereo components at most... and don't let your dealer tell you otherwise. I am an attorney who has done lemon law cases and this has never been issue (but I am not giving legal advice here only friendly advice. The above act is a federal act so it is applicable is all states.

Doing a sub install on the standard hifi US system is a relatively simple process. Everything you need is in the trunk. The amp where you can attach your line outs for your RCA's to the AMP is in the trunk and you can easily "feed off" the speaker lines going to the subs under the seat without touching any interior parts of the car or cutting any wires permantley. The battery to feed power to the amp is in the trunk. Best of all if you have run flats and roadside assistance you can remove the spare tire and the bolt for the spare and put a box in the upward position thereby not affecting trunk space whatsoever. If you really want to get creative like I am having done, you can get a custom enclosure built to hold the amp and subs, made of fiberglass to fit in the spare wheel well and blow the doors off the L7 system for about $800 total if you buy you sub and subwoofers off of ebay. I would suggest JL audio
Old 09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lenk' date='Sep 17 2004, 05:16 PM
First of all the Magnassum Moss Warranty Act which can be widely viewed with various explanations on the internet does not allow BMW or Your Dealer to void your Warranty for adding a subwoofer if the warranty issue/issues is unrelated to your sub install. i.e. a sub install done right on this car would probably only effect the warranty on some of the stereo components at most... and don't let your dealer tell you otherwise. I am an attorney who has done lemon law cases and this has never been issue (but I am not giving legal advice here only friendly advice. The above act is a federal act so it is applicable is all states.

Doing a sub install on the standard hifi US system is a relatively simple process. Everything you need is in the trunk. The amp where you can attach your line outs for your RCA's to the AMP is in the trunk and you can easily "feed off" the speaker lines going to the subs under the seat without touching any interior parts of the car or cutting any wires permantley. The battery to feed power to the amp is in the trunk. Best of all if you have run flats and roadside assistance you can remove the spare tire and the bolt for the spare and put a box in the upward position thereby not affecting trunk space whatsoever. If you really want to get creative like I am having done, you can get a custom enclosure built to hold the amp and subs, made of fiberglass to fit in the spare wheel well and blow the doors off the L7 system for about $800 total if you buy you sub and subwoofers off of ebay. I would suggest JL audio
Sounds like a plan. Can you hook me up with pics (and installation instructions) when you get your's all hooked up? That's all this system needs is some bass. Just turn down the factory bass and let the sub rip. Can't wait to see yours....I have the runflats too, so who needs the spare?
Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 16 2004, 09:58 PM
The "what's another $1500" should have been used to get Premium Sound (i.e. Logic 7) when you ponied up $52K for the car.? Having cut up a few cars in my past competing in IASCA events (is IASCA even still around??) $1500 doesn't buy you much aftermarket sound.? For the money, the BMW Logic 7 is money well spent if you like music.? The acoustics are tuned for the interior of the car, the sound stage is very good with a little extra fade to the front and the separation is great, especially in concert hall mode, and the bass is quite tight (especially with the right recordings).? It may not be really low (around 30 Hz or so) but all-in-all the sound system is 90% there.? I've learned that it costs thousands upon thousands of $$ to get that extra 10%.?
[snapback]35122[/snapback]
Yeah, IASCA is still around, I just went to a SQ competition a couple weeks ago. Logic 7 is good, but do you really feel it competes with a high level system?

$1500 may not buy a complete system, but wouldn't it at least buy some quality components and amps. That should make the biggest difference in your sound right there.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Acribb, I'm not sure if it's right, but I've heard that our E60 have some Fibre-Optic cable wiring for the stereo, adding a sub is not as easy as other cars.

I had a friend who drives a e60, he can't stop his windshield wiper moves after he has got a sub and some other components installed, and BMW claims is the stereo that screws up the computer and refuse to repair them under warranty... Maybe it's just his problem, but I think it's better to consult a real e60 experts before any modification to the wiring...

I'd think Herb has some experience on it too, maybe you can ask him...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Sep 21 2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah, IASCA is still around, I just went to a SQ competition a couple weeks ago.? Logic 7 is good, but do you really feel it competes with a high level system?

$1500 may not buy a complete system, but wouldn't it at least buy some quality components and amps.? That should make the biggest difference in your sound right there.
[snapback]36745[/snapback]
Hey Heezy, Logic 7 will not "compete" with a high-end aftermarket audio system, however as I mentioned, it is 90% there IMHO. I don't think anyone can come close to Logic 7 for $1,500x4 (yes, that's $6,000). High end audio components costs big $$ and that's just the components. Back in 1991 I had close to $7,000 in audio components & wiring in my car ... Oh, and about 130 hours of labor - check your local "high-end" audio shop for their labor rates ! I could just imagine what it would cost today. Yes, my old system would move your hair and was Very clean. However, with the cost & complexity of installing a Good system I'd say that $1500 +/- for Logic 7 is a freakin' bargain! Engineers have spent a lot of time tuning the system for the acoustics of the car! And as I stated before, the separation as well as the sound stage is very, very good! Yes, the bass won't move your hair, however it is clean and tight and most people don't realize how loud it actually is until they try to talk to your passenger.
If you want to boom through town, then go to the local audio shop... And bring more than $1500 with you 'cuz you'll need it!

Please don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE music nut (Jazz, Blues, Rock...) and I can appreciate a great sound system but don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get a kick-a$$ system for $1,500 because it just won't happen.

For anyone on the fence about getting Logic 7 - Just get it and enjoy!!!
Other than that, I have no strong opinion on the matter.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Yesterday I tuned in on a Trance Music station and I was impressed by the tightness of the bass. Okay it wasn't superloud but it sounded very very clean!! When I was younger I had a basstube in my car and that sound was lower (everything rumbled in my car) but didn't have the crispness of the bass in this car. I love it!!!

Today I'm listening to the same station again, instead of my Jazzmusic station (talking about a difference in music hehehe )
Old 09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

What about putting a sub in the trunk next to the back seat, open the fold down armrest so the sound will pass through and blast you.

Does the fold down rear seat arm rest only come with fold down rear seats?

Quick Reply: Any idea of how to add a subwoofer cleanly?