DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Another brake bleed question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just decided to install my first set of mods for a new to me Monaco Blue 2007 530i. I have paint to match kidney grills, 19" Avante Garde M355's, powder coated corvette crystal red metallic calipers and M&H race springs. I have everything installed except the springs. I will probably leave that to a local tuner who does my alignments.

The problem is with bleeding the brakes. I had the calipers off for about two weeks while they where getting coated and now I cannot bleed the system. I have tried using a Mytivac, having someone pump the brakes, the car on, the car off and still cannot get the system to flow properly. When pumping the brakes I am able to get some fluid to flow, but with a lot of air.

I am about to give up and have the car towed to a shop, but thought I would give the group a chance to offer guidance. I have done this type of work many times, but never with a BMW. It seems like I am just pulling air through the system as if there is a leak in the system, but I have everything tight. Your help is appreciated.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Originally Posted by aTX427
I had the calipers off for about two weeks while they where getting coated and now I cannot bleed the system.
You probably do have a LOT of air in the system. First, I prefer the Motive Power bleeder http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Without the power bleeder, let's do it the old fashion way and start at the beginning. First, fill the master cylinder and install the cap. Have someone pump the brake pedal and hold it down. Crack the bleeder valve, let some of the air / fluid out, then close the bleeder. Repeat the process a few times and recheck the master cylinder. Keep repeating the process until you get only fluid. Also, you should start with the caliper furthest away from the Master Cylinder and work your way around to the closest.

I know this is very basic, but I've seen more than one person forget to close the bleeder and the person in the car releases the brake and you suck air back into the system! Or, let the Master Cylinder run low one time and suck air in that way.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

How about that? pneumatic and mechanical pump. $20. Just need to put the desired resvoir cap onto the hose end. I didn't take a pic of the catch bottle but that's a no brainer. Professional Brake Bleeder in 15 min without a lift (ramps) or 10 min with a lift. The only thing to do is pretty much turn the bleeder nipple on each wheel. Doesn't get any easier

Completely flush 3 BMWs cost about $32 in OE fluid.
Another brake bleed question-img_0857.jpg
Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Members

Thanks for the responses. I left it with the dealer and took it in the shorts. Should have clamped off the brake likes, but I was in a hurry.