DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Angel Eyes UK Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here

I have spent days searching on this forum trying to find how to replace the Angel Eyes on my 2008 E60 Se with normal Halogen Headlights.

I puchased some xenon replacements from ebay, and got some free sidelight bulbs(blue)

If I take my Main Beam Headlight bulb out, I can see the orange bulb holder when looking down underneath where the main beam light goes inside the headlights, but no idea whether I should be pulling it out towards the headlight, or back towards the rear end. Also, does it only have 1 buld for each of the 2 angel eyes per side?

Next question is whether it just pulls out, or screws(1/4 turn).

Once I know what Im doing, I can then decide whether to remove the headlight(there are some excellent posts on here), or whether to hack my hands to pieces trying to get my hand in a headlight that was meant for umpa lumpas to change the bulbs.

Please help, as this is driving me insane!!!!!

Yours frustratingly

Neil
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by njones72' post='765109' date='Jan 11 2009, 01:15 PM
Newbie here

I have spent days searching on this forum trying to find how to replace the Angel Eyes on my 2008 E60 Se with normal Halogen Headlights.

I puchased some xenon replacements from ebay, and got some free sidelight bulbs(blue)

If I take my Main Beam Headlight bulb out, I can see the orange bulb holder when looking down underneath where the main beam light goes inside the headlights, but no idea whether I should be pulling it out towards the headlight, or back towards the rear end. Also, does it only have 1 buld for each of the 2 angel eyes per side?

Next question is whether it just pulls out, or screws(1/4 turn).

Once I know what Im doing, I can then decide whether to remove the headlight(there are some excellent posts on here), or whether to hack my hands to pieces trying to get my hand in a headlight that was meant for umpa lumpas to change the bulbs.

Please help, as this is driving me insane!!!!!

Yours frustratingly

Neil
Hi Neil, there are 2 screw off caps on each headlight, inside each of these caps you will have one high/low beam bulb and one angel eye bulb (w5w), so in each headlight there are 4 bulbs, 2 w5w bulbs for angel eyes and 2 H7/H8 bulbs for low/high beam. the angel eye bulbs simply pull out, kind of hard 2get a hold of them but i just carefully pulled on both wires to get it out. The low/high beam bulbs twist out in the same way the cap twists out. i have quite big hands and i changed the bulbs without too much difficulty, look in to the headlight and you will be able to see if you are pushing the bulb back in the right place, o and btw be careful not to drop the headlight twist off caps down in to the engine bay!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='765458' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:10 AM
Hi Neil, there are 2 screw off caps on each headlight, inside each of these caps you will have one high/low beam bulb and one angel eye bulb (w5w), so in each headlight there are 4 bulbs, 2 w5w bulbs for angel eyes and 2 H7/H8 bulbs for low/high beam. the angel eye bulbs simply pull out, kind of hard 2get a hold of them but i just carefully pulled on both wires to get it out. The low/high beam bulbs twist out in the same way the cap twists out. i have quite big hands and i changed the bulbs without too much difficulty, look in to the headlight and you will be able to see if you are pushing the bulb back in the right place, o and btw be careful not to drop the headlight twist off caps down in to the engine bay!
Hiya

Thanks for this info.

Looking down into the light, I'm assuming that the orange 'thing' is the angel eye bulb holder? Where do I look for the wires, as I can't see any comming out? Maybe I'm not looking properly ;-) What colour are the wires going to the angel eyes, so at least I can tug something :-)

Many thanks
Neil
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Contributors

find the narmal headlight bulbs then look directly up to the very top of the headlight and you will see the little spade fitment bulbs almost resesed..as said they just pull out, and pop back in if you do it with the side lights on you can see better where the "holder" is
good luck, its very easy.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='765719' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:01 PM
find the narmal headlight bulbs then look directly up to the very top of the headlight and you will see the little spade fitment bulbs almost resesed..as said they just pull out, and pop back in if you do it with the side lights on you can see better where the "holder" is
good luck, its very easy.
Thanks for the update.

this is where I make things confusing.

I have just taken another look inside the headlight, and the light from the angel eye bulb is comming from the bottom of the angel eye, which means it is UNDERNEATH the H7 bulb. I took off the cover for mainbeam, and there is only one buld in there which is the H7 dipped Bulb.

I have brown, white and black wires going to the top of the angel eye(above the H7 main beam bulb), but I dont think I should be pulling these out! The light from the bulb is definately comming from the bottom of the eye, which is from the orange bulb housing.

How the hell do you get this out?

Remember that this is an Oct 2008 520D SE UK spec with 'normal halogens' if that makes any difference?

I'm going to top myself if I can;t figure it out soon, its doing my nut in!

Please help anyone, or even better if anyone has any photo's to run by me explaining.....

Many thanks
Neil
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by njones72' post='765826' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the update.

this is where I make things confusing.

I have just taken another look inside the headlight, and the light from the angel eye bulb is comming from the bottom of the angel eye, which means it is UNDERNEATH the H7 bulb. I took off the cover for mainbeam, and there is only one buld in there which is the H7 dipped Bulb.

I have brown, white and black wires going to the top of the angel eye(above the H7 main beam bulb), but I dont think I should be pulling these out! The light from the bulb is definately comming from the bottom of the eye, which is from the orange bulb housing.

How the hell do you get this out?

Remember that this is an Oct 2008 520D SE UK spec with 'normal halogens' if that makes any difference?

I'm going to top myself if I can;t figure it out soon, its doing my nut in!

Please help anyone, or even better if anyone has any photo's to run by me explaining.....

Many thanks
Neil
Hi Neil, i think firstly as yours is a LCI i believe, but im not 100% sure that it uses H8 bulbs instead of H7. Check the manual, under mobility - replacing parts, thats where i looked up how to remove and change bulbs. sounds as if your headlight housing is constructed differently as in pre LCI the w5w angel eye bulb is definately above the H7 bulb.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='765953' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Neil, i think firstly as yours is a LCI i believe, but im not 100% sure that it uses H8 bulbs instead of H7. Check the manual, under mobility - replacing parts, thats where i looked up how to remove and change bulbs. sounds as if your headlight housing is constructed differently as in pre LCI the w5w angel eye bulb is definately above the H7 bulb.
Hiya

Looking in the manual - It says under side and parking lights
In the event of a fault, please contact BMW!

The next paragraph it goes onto say that they are H8 35w bulbs.

Whats the difference between this and the W5W bulbs I have then? More importantly how to I replace them?

Many thanks
Neil
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 525 saloon, auto, Silver, artificial leather, USB, 244 wheels

I just swapped a broken front sidelight on our 2007 Lci 525 - the dreaded angel-eye is so hard to get to I removed the whole headlight unit to get at it easily. It seems the part - reflector and bulb is available from BMW parts for just about £10. (dealer quoted £60 fitted!!)
I couldn't pull out the old dead 5W bulb from the old one - its was almost welded in.