DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Amp Install - Where are the speaker wires??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello all,

I am thinking of installing an aftermarket amplifier, maybe a Vibe Litebox, but need to know where the best place to splice into the speaker wires is. I am thinking they must be near the glovebox somewhere. I am hoping just to boost the signal to the original speakers, once I have added the Logic 7 tweeters, so was planning to wire the amp to run the current setup, rather than separate lines. I am hoping to mount the amp in the boot, with the remote running to plug X11011 in the fusebox.

My car is a UK '08 535d MSport, without any hi-fi upgrades, just Professional Nav.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

BMW WDS

all the wiring diagrams you will ever need dood, good luck.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Members

hi, i installed my sub and speaqker box in the boot, i did the following for the install,

you only need one speaker input + & - for the amp input from the head unit, the best place is from one of the factory fitted subs under the seat (driver or passenger any will do), using the forum for info on how to do this undo the bolts for the seat 4 in total, do not remove it fully as you will disturb the airbag wires (you need to undo the bolts as you cannot get to the speaker otherwise)

the reason you need to use one of the factory amp inputs from under the seats is this;- the factory head unit splits the sound frequencys and sends the bass tones to the door speakers and under seat speakers, the trebble goes to the rear parcel shelf and it saves you taking the radio out of the dash.

i soldered wire onto the existing wires (tapping into them) and ran the two wires + & - to the boot under the carpet and under the rear seat as this lifts up easy.

next install the amp, i have a kenwood 600w and jbl 400w speaker, i screwed mine to the back of the speaker enclosure, i tapped into the power direct from the battery and negative (fused of course) as this is in the boot to the right side behind the pannel (uk car)

the remote turn on was more of a challenge and i tapped into the fuse box to a fuse that turned on when the ignition was turned however some amps turn on when they detect an input so you will need to read the manual.

ps i did try it tapping into the rear parcel shelf speakers before doing the seat route and the sound was poor with no bass so please follow my instructions for better install.

these instructions are intended for a basic uk sound system with speakers in front doors, under seat and rear parcel shelf, the logic sound system gives you a few easier places to tap into if you have this and you will need to search the forum for these instructions.

result is kicking bass that shakes the windows!!

hope this helps someone

simon
manchester uk

e60 530d saloon 2004
Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i _2004_Space Grey

Originally Posted by bobsimes
hi, i installed my sub and speaqker box in the boot, i did the following for the install,

you only need one speaker input + & - for the amp input from the head unit, the best place is from one of the factory fitted subs under the seat (driver or passenger any will do), using the forum for info on how to do this undo the bolts for the seat 4 in total, do not remove it fully as you will disturb the airbag wires (you need to undo the bolts as you cannot get to the speaker otherwise)

the reason you need to use one of the factory amp inputs from under the seats is this;- the factory head unit splits the sound frequencys and sends the bass tones to the door speakers and under seat speakers, the trebble goes to the rear parcel shelf and it saves you taking the radio out of the dash.

i soldered wire onto the existing wires (tapping into them) and ran the two wires + & - to the boot under the carpet and under the rear seat as this lifts up easy.

next install the amp, i have a kenwood 600w and jbl 400w speaker, i screwed mine to the back of the speaker enclosure, i tapped into the power direct from the battery and negative (fused of course) as this is in the boot to the right side behind the pannel (uk car)

the remote turn on was more of a challenge and i tapped into the fuse box to a fuse that turned on when the ignition was turned however some amps turn on when they detect an input so you will need to read the manual.

ps i did try it tapping into the rear parcel shelf speakers before doing the seat route and the sound was poor with no bass so please follow my instructions for better install.

these instructions are intended for a basic uk sound system with speakers in front doors, under seat and rear parcel shelf, the logic sound system gives you a few easier places to tap into if you have this and you will need to search the forum for these instructions.

result is kicking bass that shakes the windows!!

hope this helps someone

simon
manchester uk

e60 530d saloon 2004
so do the factory subs stay powered, or do they get disconnected?