DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

any way to mod this on the headlights below
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
Read the damn thread. It's been answered.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
Seems like you have a pre-lci, if there OEM angel eyes like mine were, you may have a problem with the diode getting too hot when activating them via illumination method. Most people who have done the mod have LED which would run fine. But yeah it does work, but mine just got way too hot so I need to find another way, or change my AEs to LED aftermarket ones. But just download the DIY on op and follow nix's diagram of the harness. just tap into the two if you want both angel eyes and eyebrows. GL hope this helps
Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport 2005

cant you run the +12 from the footwell light to a relay and connect the relay to your light switch so they aint no wire runs to the front of the car,then the eyebrows and AE will light up and your number plate lights.?? just a idea im going to look into day and let you know how i get on.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jambo*james
cant you run the +12 from the footwell light to a relay and connect the relay to your light switch so they aint no wire runs to the front of the car,then the eyebrows and AE will light up and your number plate lights.?? just a idea im going to look into day and let you know how i get on.
please do that sound a good idea if it works i hope
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport 2005

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
please do that sound a good idea if it works i hope
Its not possible its not a switch. im thinking of running a multi core cable so i can have AE and brows working also thinking of putting this on a timed relay so they stay on longer then the footwell light, the footwell light seams to turn off fast when locking the car. has this been done?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I looked through the thread... sorry if I missed it if it has already been discussed....

Just wanted to say that I think what you are doing with the lights is also being done in the car coding threads via just software changes in the existing light modules. Maybe this applies to someone new that stumbles on the thread - they should know they might be able to do this via programming and no wires and soldering.

For example, I had no angel eyes when starting the car. I started to take a lot of interest in this thread a while back thinking of doing the same then I thought to look into programming. Via just programming, I enabled my angel eys to come on when starting the car and just recently decided to include my fog lights. So I edited my light module file, re-coded it and now I have fog lights that fade on when I start the car. If I decide to include my side markers I can have it done in minutes.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I looked through the thread... sorry if I missed it if it has already been discussed....

Just wanted to say that I think what you are doing with the lights is also being done in the car coding threads via just software changes in the existing light modules. Maybe this applies to someone new that stumbles on the thread - they should know they might be able to do this via programming and no wires and soldering.

For example, I had no angel eyes when starting the car. I started to take a lot of interest in this thread a while back thinking of doing the same then I thought to look into programming. Via just programming, I enabled my angel eys to come on when starting the car and just recently decided to include my fog lights. So I edited my light module file, re-coded it and now I have fog lights that fade on when I start the car. If I decide to include my side markers I can have it done in minutes.
You programmed your fogs to turn on automatically at car start up? This is interesting, I would like to learn more. Does it only turn on if you set the light switch to auto? And how does it function with different light settings?

Oh another thing, is it possible to code it so it fades fogs on like the Audi Q7's? That would be really sexy.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
You programmed your fogs to turn on automatically at car start up? This is interesting, I would like to learn more. Does it only turn on if you set the light switch to auto? And how does it function with different light settings?

Oh another thing, is it possible to code it so it fades fogs on like the Audi Q7's? That would be really sexy.

What you described is correct. With my light switch in auto I get soft fade in of my fogs and angel eyes when I hit the unlock button on my remote. The feature is called "Welcome Lights" and it shows up in my iDrive menu.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Oh hum. This is interesting. From another thread, I believe Blood mentioned Welcome Lights, but he did not mention that it fades on the fogs as well.

Can you post a video? I am much inclined to get the software and the interface cables so I can take a stab at this.

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car