DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliboy' post='286919' date='May 24 2006, 12:15 PM
Hi. I have attempted to follow these instructions to the letter, but without success!

The only differences I can spot are:

1. My the TPD-GRP 10001 line was different to the one stated, but I simply added 9000 to the line that seemed to be the closest;
2. I linked with the consolidated camera file, pocketgps_uk_sc.asc, rather than the gatso one; andthe
3. I needed to transfer the ISO file accross to my Mac in order to burn the DVD.

Everything seems to have gone OK. Certainly the new DVD seems to work perfectly in the car, but there are no camera icons anywhere, and there is no Speed Camera sub menu in the New Destination -> Travel folder.

Any ideas?

-- David

p.s. I'm now remembering why I decided not to use my engineering degree
I used the consolidated camera file so that is not the problem. If the car can read the DVD the transfer must have gone OK. My first DVD failed so I re-did everything but made sure of the following:

1. Vedit - check the files are opened with LF only - Config>File handling>File Type =1
2. When adding 9000 lines I cut and pasted from an existing entry and then edited to ensure spacing and characters were correct.
3. Make sure the inserted entries are in numerical order.
4. Double check the SF and ST files for references to 9101 (I missed the 'FormID' reference in the first line of the SF file).
5. UltraISO - make sure the ISO settings are all correct as detailed.

Regards
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='286907' date='May 24 2006, 11:10 AM
IMHO that's a bit of overengineering.

A good first step would be just to give an audio "ping" when a specified paramter is "exceeded" eg distance from POI.

And it would benefit a larger population of e60 owners.

ABC
The HUD only reflects what is in the directions screen so the challenge is to get that bit working. It is here distance is counted down so likely to be easier than trying to get something read off the map. As regards a 'ping' we may have to make do with whatever sound effects/words are on the DVD. e.g "In 300 yards make a legal U turn" or some such.

Incidentally the HUD is the single best option BMW offer. Takes some getting used to but once you have it you will wonder how you lived without it. No need for navigation voice and it makes you very aware of speed - in my case how very easily it is to get into three figures when doing a simple overtake!
Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Ive folloed all the instructions here but im not interested in speed camera locations. I have road angel so it beeps and tells me when one is close (i dont want to make my 300 quid investment redundant by putting them on the satnav plus i wouldnt look enough.)

however, i am very interested in getting things like wifi hotspots/supermarkets/fastfood etc etc into the POI

can someone give me an absolute step by step instruction to do so as im stuck...
ive downloaded an ov2 file from the poiplace.com site and then used something called poi/route/track converter to output it to a "TomTom *.asc" file

ive then installed cygwin which i couldnt get to work so installed activescript. I run the perl script but get the following error...

"Can't take log of 0 at createidxurl.pl line 43, <FILE> chunk 1."

so im stumped

anyone offer any help?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Members

Odd Cygwin is not working for you. When you downloaded it and started the install did you install the Perl support? It is not there by default so you need to scroll down to it and click on the rotary arrow to change from 'default' to 'install'.

Perhaps you should install the cameras first (you can switch them off if you do not need them or just download the mobile sites) to establish the principle works and then start going off piste. This should fast track any problems.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Is there anyone who can help me with that file eng.lsc in return of anything resonable, except paypal method since it doesn't work here and if it did i would have bought it myself. Thanx alot!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='287013' date='May 24 2006, 04:20 PM
Is there anyone who can help me with that file eng.lsc in return of anything resonable, except paypal method since it doesn't work here and if it did i would have bought it myself. Thanx alot!
Just PM me with where you have got to with the process and I'll sort you out. There's no need for "anything reasonable" I'm more than happy to help you get this working
Old 05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='286989' date='May 24 2006, 03:33 PM
Ive folloed all the instructions here but im not interested in speed camera locations. I have road angel so it beeps and tells me when one is close (i dont want to make my 300 quid investment redundant by putting them on the satnav plus i wouldnt look enough.)

however, i am very interested in getting things like wifi hotspots/supermarkets/fastfood etc etc into the POI

can someone give me an absolute step by step instruction to do so as im stuck...
ive downloaded an ov2 file from the poiplace.com site and then used something called poi/route/track converter to output it to a "TomTom *.asc" file

ive then installed cygwin which i couldnt get to work so installed activescript. I run the perl script but get the following error...

"Can't take log of 0 at createidxurl.pl line 43, <FILE> chunk 1."
so im stumped

anyone offer any help?
First of all with cygwin what problem do you have? I should be able to help you.

With the activescript version of perl it needs a couple of modifications to the perl script in order for it to work with that version. I'm happy to pass them on but cygwin is better so lets see if we can sort that out first.

Just PM me with your details and we'll take it from there.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Hi. I have attempted to follow these instructions to the letter, but without success!

1. My the TPD-GRP 10001 line was different to the one stated, but I simply added 9000 to the line that seemed to be the closest;
2. I linked with the consolidated camera file, pocketgps_uk_sc.asc, rather than the gatso one; andthe
3. I needed to transfer the ISO file accross to my Mac in order to burn the DVD.

Everything seems to have gone OK. Certainly the new DVD seems to work perfectly in the car, but there are no camera icons anywhere, and there is no Speed Camera sub menu in the New Destination -> Travel folder.

Any ideas?

-- David

David,

PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Members

Any ideas?

-- David

Just realised I downloaded the single camera file .asc, not the consolidated one if that is any help.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heuer' post='287056' date='May 24 2006, 05:14 PM
Just realised I downloaded the single camera file .asc, not the consolidated one if that is any help.
The one I used was pocketgps_uk_sc.asc and contains locations for GATSO, TRUVELO, MOBILE, REDLIGHT, SPECS and TEMP

Quick Reply: Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD