DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amjad175' post='286477' date='May 23 2006, 12:23 PM
Does the E60 read DVD+R or just DVD-R? Which produced better results?

Cheers.
I'm using Datawrite DVD+R but my understanding is the system will accept both DVD+R and DVD-R

Glad you got it going
Old 05-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='286501' date='May 23 2006, 01:19 PM
Reads both...

ABC
Just to confirm that this is from personal experience. DVD+R and DVD-R have both been read no problems in my Nav system. I ran DVD-R for a couple of weeks till this weekend and am now running DVD+R with no problems.

ABC
Old 05-23-2006, 04:58 AM
Contributors

This process works for European and USA owners as well and not just in the UK. The only difference is you will be editing the .lsc file that is appropriate to your chosen language.

1. From the \tpd\ntcBeu_eu_.... folder in the DVD ISO image, extract and open the *.psc file with your text editor (not Wordpad or notepad)

2. Look for the line starting "TPD-DEF" and the number here defines the default language

#TPD-DEF <language>
TPD-DEF 2

3. A bit further down you'll find lines starting "TPD-LSC". Here you'll find defined the relevant .lsc file for each language.

#TPD-LSC <language specific contents file>
TPD-LSC 2 /ENG/ENG.LSC
TPD-LSC 3 /FRE/FRE.LSC
TPD-LSC 4 /GER/GER.LSC
TPD-LSC 5 /ITA/ITA.LSC
TPD-LSC 6 /SPA/SPA.LSC
TPD-LSC 17 /USA/USA.LSC

You can edit any of the languages you want as per the steps outlined previously in this thread but note that if you want to be able to display the icons on the screen then you will need to edit the default language .lsc file as well which is defined by the number in step 2.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='286518' date='May 23 2006, 01:58 PM
This process works for European and USA owners as well and not just in the UK.
Though it seems others don't have the same obsession (or "problem") with speedcams as we do in the UK!!

Now which OTHER POIs would be of interest to other countries...?

ABC
Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

Great hack Mathmos! Up and working in about two hours including sourcing the utilities (DVD Decrypter, Vedit and UltraISO - need a licenced version of the latter). Can confirm compatability with Alpina!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heuer' post='286606' date='May 23 2006, 06:24 PM
Great hack Mathmos! Up and working in about two hours including sourcing the utilities (DVD Decrypter, Vedit and UltraISO - need a licenced version of the latter). Can confirm compatability with Alpina!
Excellent, well done
Old 05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributors

This is cool. I wish I could find a db for the red light cameras that we have in the states. I've never run into speed cameras in the u.s....

Still, this is neat to know it can be done.

James
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Members

What we need to turn our attention to now is getting an icon or notification in the HUD. First step is to get something displayed in the graphics area on the right of the map. It seems anything displayed there is represented on the HUD.

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heuer' post='286896' date='May 24 2006, 10:29 AM
What we need to turn our attention to now is getting an icon or notification in the HUD. First step is to get something displayed in the graphics area on the right of the map. It seems anything displayed there is represented on the HUD.

Any ideas?
IMHO that's a bit of overengineering.

A good first step would be just to give an audio "ping" when a specified paramter is "exceeded" eg distance from POI.

And it would benefit a larger population of e60 owners.

ABC
Old 05-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Hi. I have attempted to follow these instructions to the letter, but without success!

The only differences I can spot are:

1. My the TPD-GRP 10001 line was different to the one stated, but I simply added 9000 to the line that seemed to be the closest;
2. I linked with the consolidated camera file, pocketgps_uk_sc.asc, rather than the gatso one; andthe
3. I needed to transfer the ISO file accross to my Mac in order to burn the DVD.

Everything seems to have gone OK. Certainly the new DVD seems to work perfectly in the car, but there are no camera icons anywhere, and there is no Speed Camera sub menu in the New Destination -> Travel folder.

Any ideas?

-- David

p.s. I'm now remembering why I decided not to use my engineering degree

Quick Reply: Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD