DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I'll start this DIY by putting pictures of the finished product first to get you excited :-)

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00265.jpg

I installed a Nextbase Tablet DVD on a Brodit mount in between the front seats. This is connected to a OEM video plug in the center console that feed the ACM Video input. I made custom cables for the Tablet because I hate to see long cables wound up for no reason. Even the lighter socket charger is custom made because the standard plugs were too long and I feared that it may break while passengers get in and out of the car. Also the jacks used on both sides are the right angled plugs to minimise the space needed. Now the only thing I need to find is a neat cable wrap instead of the cheap looking tape I've used at the moment. I have another Nextbase DVD player for sale if anyone is interested.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00266.jpg

That way both the front and rear can watch the video. The remote for the DVD works quite well even from the driver's or passenger's seat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the following instructions although my ACM was part 65500431544.
BMW_ACM.pdf

After you disconnect the Negative Terminal of the battery. Start by removing the trim.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00178.jpg

Then the AC controls.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00179.jpg

Then the CCC

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00180.jpg

Then the center trim.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00181.jpg

Build a custom power splitter instead of following BMW's instructions and that way you can get the solution completely plug and play.

You'll need the following parts for this

1 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 3 POL. 61138377072
1 x UNIVERSAL PIN TERMINAL UNCODED 3 POL. 61136931929
2 x PIN-CONTACT 0,75MM 61130006664
2 x BUSHING CONTACT 0.75MM 61130006663

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00182.jpg

Use the module stand behind the front fuse box to house the CAN interface. Just disconnect Pin 2 and Pin 19 from the CAN interface plug and video will work at any speed.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00183.jpg

Connect the Aux connections behind the CCC. Here note the BMW instructions have an error in the colour coding of the AUX wires and that will mix your Left and Right Channels. So follow the pin numbers and you'll be fine.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00184.jpg

House the ACM unit above the CD Changer.

ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY-dsc00201.jpg

I didn't route the Video input cable all the way to the boot as mentioned in the instructions because I had planned to use a DVD tablet. So instead I routed the plug to the center console and then connected it to an OEM Video plug unit.

You'll need the following parts for the video plug.

1 x PLUG SOCKET AV 61316930560
1 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 6 POL. 61136909058
6 x BUSHING CONTACT 0,2- 0,5MM 61130005197

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to connect an Aftermarket DVD player you will need the following parts.

1 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 18 POL. 61131383852
5 x BUSHING CONTACT 0,2- 0,5MM 61130005197
And a 3 RCA socket cable or appropriate connect (the red, white or black and Yellow cables)

In the 18 POL. 61131383852 plug put your contacts 61130005197 in pin positions as follows
Pin 5 - Audio L +ve
Pin 6 - Audio R +ve
Pin 7 - Audio Ground -ve
Pin 8 - Video +ve
Pin 9 - Video Ground -ve

Then connect the other ends of the wires of these contacts to the RCA plugs using the Red for right, white/black for left and the Yellow for Video.

Connect this custom cable that you have just made to Connector A10 on the ACM wiring harness. This will give you a Video input.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I have a RHD car and you cannot follow the instructions as given by BMW for the LHD. So that is the reason I had to choose alternate locations for the CAN and ACM unit but the plus side is that I didn't have to open the driver's side of the car at all.

Put everything back and pray that it all starts :-) There is a good reason why this DIY is not as detailed as my other ones. If you cannot understand what is done based on these pictures don't bother doing this at home. There are too many things that could go wrong or you could damage while trying this and its best to pay a dealer for the installation.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

Whaaaaat! Thats dope! I always wanted to watch a dvd from the front screen or install a camera so I can see when I reverse.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 545iS SMG, Black on Brown... Carbon Grille. Navi. PDC. Htd Seats. HUD... Sunshades. Logic7. All Packages. 20%front-5%back........ ETC............................... Coming Soon: MTEC full kit, some wheels. ACS rear carbon spoiler. NAV TV.

WILL IT WORK WHILE DRIVING?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport Manual, Media Package, Dakota Grey leather, USB, Folding mirrors, Carbon Black.

Top man bruce. That is awesome
Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by imposss' post='583928' date='May 19 2008, 10:27 PM
WILL IT WORK WHILE DRIVING?
Yes. just disconnect Pin 2 and Pin 19 from the CAN interface and it will work at any speed.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Contributors

this is awesome!

3 quick questions -
  • how is the video quality on the NAV screen?
  • once installed, the iDrive need any programming by the dealer?
  • what was your final cost in doing this?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Well done my man. Will this set up works for non navigation system
Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

I also would like to know if this will work on non-navigation equipped e60 cars. How much can I expect to pay for that ACM?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributors

The quality on the Navigation Screen is OK - not great but OK. But that is not the fault of the ACM its just the resolution of the Navigation screen is a bit lower than aftermarket TFT screens. You dont need any programming to get this working, however you must have the AUX option coded in your car in advance because the ACM using the AUX input for the sound. It didn't cost be anything to install and the actual ACM is still not available in the UK. Also I bought my ACM second hand so the price I paid is not representation. But expect to pay between $600 - $675 for the unit and then add installation. Don't get fooled by the 1.75hours install time on the instructions. I'd happily challenge any dealer in the world to install this as per instructions within that time.

Yes you can install it on non-navigation screens. A big thing for pro navigation people to remember is that the ACM will only utilise the middle section of the screen - i think this is as big as the screen in non-nav or business nav cars. I bet its something to do with maintaining image aspect ratio.

You can connect any aftermarket TV or DVD by a simple plug and play modification to the plug but then you wont be able to control these devices via the iDrive. Same with the cameras too - aftermarket works fine.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

So this is an OEM part that allows you to watch stuff on the NAV screen? Pretty cool!

Quick Reply: ACM - Accessory Control Menu Plug and Play DIY