DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AC basic to AC high retrofit DIY rev.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

You will need the actuator as well. Why did you buy four sensors? you didn't buy the second temp sensor for the passenger side did you? that will do nothing as there is no water running through the radiator. The rad on the high heater matrix has to water channels running through it.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by BLooD
You will need the actuator as well. Why did you buy four sensors? you didn't buy the second temp sensor for the passenger side did you? that will do nothing as there is no water running through the radiator. The rad on the high heater matrix has to water channels running through it.
yeah that is correct, the actuator is in part 6 which you can buy seperate.
Only not sure if changing that part, putting the servo motor on it is enough to get the warm air in the back.

I got 4 sensors :
- AUC sensor
- Condensation sensor
- Fresh air temp sensor which is in de duct exit on the driver side.
- Solar sensor.

My goal is to go as far as possible, I like stuff to be as close to OEM as possible.
I studied the high Matrix and was even tempted to one as they are cheap on Ebay to figure where the differences are. But it would be just to much work.

I didn't get the second temp sensor on the matrix as like you mention it wouldn't do anything anyway.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tom_il
yeah that is correct, the actuator is in part 6 which you can buy seperate.
Only not sure if changing that part, putting the servo motor on it is enough to get the warm air in the back.

I got 4 sensors :
- AUC sensor
- Condensation sensor
- Fresh air temp sensor which is in de duct exit on the driver side.
- Solar sensor.

My goal is to go as far as possible, I like stuff to be as close to OEM as possible.
I studied the high Matrix and was even tempted to one as they are cheap on Ebay to figure where the differences are. But it would be just to much work.

I didn't get the second temp sensor on the matrix as like you mention it wouldn't do anything anyway.
This was my thinking to, you would need the dual water pump as well. The way I see it is, you would need the console vent with the temp control, the actuator and servo motor but the problem is I don`t think the mounting is there for the actuator and motor though it would make sense for the matrix it`s self to be the same for the basic and high.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
This was my thinking to, you would need the dual water pump as well. The way I see it is, you would need the console vent with the temp control, the actuator and servo motor but the problem is I don`t think the mounting is there for the actuator and motor though it would make sense for the matrix it`s self to be the same for the basic and high.
Doubt the water pump is needed, as it controls left and right temp, the heating radiator is then split in 2. One part part is for the left vents and one for the right vents. In the basic the radiator is the same size, just not split in 2.
Changing the radiator is def difficult.
But the flaps are maybe less difficult to swap, Difference between the high and basic is that in the basic one motor controls the 2 flaps left and right, where in the high there is a motor for each flap. The question is like you mention, is the matrix the same apart from flaps and different heating radiator. When I look at pics, I cant realy see any difference apart from the flap motors

Only how the hot air is going to the back is not so clear, just having the extra flap in part 6 is not going to send hot air to back I think. Afterall the flap can only open and close the duct.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tom_il
Doubt the water pump is needed, as it controls left and right temp, the heating radiator is then split in 2. One part part is for the left vents and one for the right vents. In the basic the radiator is the same size, just not split in 2.
Changing the radiator is def difficult.
But the flaps are maybe less difficult to swap, Difference between the high and basic is that in the basic one motor controls the 2 flaps left and right, where in the high there is a motor for each flap. The question is like you mention, is the matrix the same apart from flaps and different heating radiator. When I look at pics, I cant realy see any difference apart from the flap motors

Only how the hot air is going to the back is not so clear, just having the extra flap in part 6 is not going to send hot air to back I think. Afterall the flap can only open and close the duct.
Only thing you can do is to strip the dashboard and look for one of actuators at the front and see if the mounting point is there.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Members

yeah going to have good look when installing high control. Waiting for the connectors at the moment.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Members

I installed the IHKA High with the sensors and its working. Only the AUC sensor I am not sure as there was a error from it will have to look into that one.

I have coded the IHKA high and it shows up on the I drive. Only I don't have the indipendent ventilation (not heating just ventilation) that I expected to be there.
You have to code this seperate ?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Members

Problem solved. Had to switch on indipendent ventilation in Cappl. Now only the AUC sensor left that doesn't work.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Members

One detail, in iDrive to control the air comming out of the middle vents one has to adjust it on the passenger side. The foot and screen vents are controlled via the driver side. Is there a way to have the middle vents also be control on the driver side and not on the passenger ? Is just a detail but it sounds more logic ?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Members

Other question, My AUC sensor isn't working. I have installed the one from a E90 series which a replaced by the one used in the E60 LCI. The connections and sockets are the same as the LCI one.
I used the power directly from a fuse like indicated on de WDS instead of using the output pin 2 of the control panel like in the pre-LCI.

Not sure why it doesn't work, I can see 3 possible reasons :
- Does the LCI AUC sensor work on the pre-LCI high control ?
- Or does it make a difference taken the power directly from a fuse ?
- Or is the AUC faulty (its one from ebay) .

Quick Reply: AC basic to AC high retrofit DIY rev.3