DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

545i valve cover gasket replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

I believe the alternator comes out. https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...i-545i-120107/

Not sure if replacing those spark plug tubes are "necessary" or not. The shop that did my VC job said it was, which was why they ordered new ones. It's not much more involved since it's part of the removal to get to the VC. They're about 20 bucks a pipe I believe.

In all honesty, my oil leak problem could have been solved with the oil pressure switch (cheap), vacuum pump (pretty cheap), alternator bracket, upper and lower timing cover gasket (all at the same time, not that cheap. $700 at an indy).

I ended up getting the VC changed when I didn't need to. And just doing 1 side ran me about $1000-1100. So if you have an indy that will do both sides, and the upper and lower timing cover, might as well do the alternator as well and if you can get away with $1500, that's really cheap imo. Guess it's also relative to where you live. I had all of my work done in the Bay Area.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by Margal
The leak was diagnosed by the dealership as vCG and upper timing case
Shop wants $1000 for both sides but they sad If timing cover is leaking than it gonna be more probably another $500
The leak is not that terrible now as I just added a quarter oil to the engine as the low warning light come on in 4k
I decided to performed other preventative repairs like coolant flush thermostat, drive belt to get more clearance TC and VCK
Thank for that alternator bracket. Do I have to remove alternator to replace it?
Is replacing those spark plug tubes necessary and more involving it might be?
Thanks for good information.
Replacing the alternator bracket o-ring requires removal of the alternator and the driver side engine mounting bracket. A real pain. The upper timing cover gaskets are easy to replace if the valve covers are already removed, I don't know why they would charge another $500 unless they were talking about the lower timing cover. That requires removing the heads.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

What are the exact torque specs for VCG and timing cover bolts
I do not have Bentley manual and it does not say in TIS online
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Note: The Valvetronic motor must first be removed in order to remove the cylinder head cover. The eccentric shaft must be in the minimum lift position and the motor must be wound out from the eccentric shaft. The worm gear could otherwise be damaged when separating the worm shaft and the worm wheel as the eccentric shaft springs back (due to the torque compensation spring).
If it is not possible to remove the motor, due to mechanical failure or sticking, the worm shaft can be moved using an Allen key to release the motor. A hole must be drilled in the rear plastic motor cover in order to access the motor shaft (worm shaft) using the Allen key. The motor can then no longer be used.
What does this mean in simple terms? Have anyone removed it without damage?
Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Members

The VVT motors come out easily. Just remove the four screws, then spin the motors out. They have a worm gear that engages with the eccentric shaft gearing, so they will spin right out. Installation is the reverse of removal. When you are ready to start the engine, turn the ignition on and wait a minute or so for the VVT motors to initialize and move the eccentric shafts to where they need to be. Contrary to what my indy mechanic told me, no you don't need to initialize them with INPA.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

So all I need is to remove the 4 bolts and then just pull it out? What do you mean by spin the motor out? Just wiggle around or pull it up straight? I think the valve caver gasket kit comes with VM gasket also or do I have to buy it separate?
Thank for helping me out
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
RTR
Members

I think it's like taking out a screw. Kind of "unscew" it.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Members

You unscrew it. Google "worm gear" and you will understand.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

How did you make out with this bro?... I just did the alternator bracket gasket now Im thinking about tackling this.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
How did you make out with this bro?... I just did the alternator bracket gasket now Im thinking about tackling this.
I decided to fix all the oil leaks and the same time do complite cooling system refresh including valley pan pipe once i take the cylinder covers off. still learning, getting nessesary tools, parts and waiting for the weather to get warmer to works outside. I think this gonna be a two week project for me.

Quick Reply: 545i valve cover gasket replacement questions