DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

530xi performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all, trying to figure out what to do next boost the performance up on the Bimmer. Exhaust dont worry about but what other projects can i start to boost up horse power. thx!!!
another question is.. if i buy an RPI scoop, will it work better with an aftermarket air intake or should i just get an aftermarket air filter.... heard good and bad stories about the AFE intake so was just wondering what yallz input on it was. thx
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Get the RPI scoop and BMC filter. Skip the AFE intake - North Carolina is too hot, you'll lose power. Better buy some heat wrap and wrap your intake tubing and exhaust manifold to better isolate hot/cold streams of air in your exhaust and intake, respectively. ECU flash will give you the best results, probably. Still not a huge amount of power, but at least it's the most you can do without doing serious engine internals upgrading. I was just recently in a situation where I could have upgraded the internals of my engine, but decided against it. And the truth is, money was not the deciding factor. It was the fact that it is simply not worth it. One last thing you can do is get a bored throttle body. Dinan sells one that fits, but you can simply bore out your stock body, if you're good with your hands, or have a shop do it for you - that's probably cheaper than what Dinan will run you.

To recap. Intake: RPI scoop + BMC filter. Heat wrapping. ECU flash. Bored throttle body. Exhaust ( I know you said not to mention exhaust, but when you literally have 3-4 options and exhaust is one of them, it's kinda hard not to mention).

Best Wishes!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx man! just bought the scoop and filter!!!