Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Should I let the dealer detail my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by Henry47' post='318428' date='Aug 2 2006, 11:30 PM
I picked up my black 525i the other day but the dealer stated they didn't have enough time to detail it before handing it off to me. They stated that I should come back later this week to drop it off to get properly detailed. My question is: Should I let them? I'm sure details vary from dealer to dealer, but should I just prep the car myself or let them handle it? Will they do more good than damage?

If you took the time out to write this in a forum then you should detail it yourself to save yourself from a headache. I wont let a dealer detail a modded car of mine but when its stock I really dont care. Its not like I have black where swirl marks can come with ease
Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='321741' date='Aug 12 2006, 06:54 AM
If you wan't to have proper control over the condition of your paint work, then no!

I never let the dealer detail my car - I rather do it all myself. More work, but at least I know it gets done properly.

The problem is the people cleaning your car will never take the same degree of care with your car <-- AMEN TO THAT. Also, the products they use (microfibres, sponges etc.) are being used on hundreds of other cars too. Hence the probability of your paintwork ending up with swirl marks or scratches is high.
I'll tell you what, I had the dealership do my car and they did a good job, but I noticed they opened the door agaist something and chipped the paint in two places on the driver's door edge. I KNOW I didn't do that. It's got white paint on it and my garage is plain cement block. Besides, I ALWAYS guide the door out when I open it, never just throw it open no matter where I am - I do that with every car I have.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice it when I picked it up so now I'm stuck with two half-inch each chips on the door edge (hit two different places) and will have to pay them to fix it. It is noticeable and I don't know how I missed it - I just did not inspect the car figuring they'd take care of it. Yeah, right...

Another thing - I paid 120 bucks for it (98 Euro) and two days later it looked like sh*t because of rain. Not worth it - do it yourself