Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

headlight finish

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

my headlights seem to have fine chips on them, looks like road debris caused it over the years. Its an '05 that i just got, is there any product out there that works with this?
i have tried bug and tar remover, it looks cleaner but i can still see very fine specks , minute chips on the outside plastic of the headlamp
Old 05-26-2008 | 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

There are several products that can be applied with orbital or rotary polishers that have micro abrasion to refinish headlight covers, check out autogeek.net.............good luck
Old 05-26-2008 | 03:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

found this on autogeek, http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-plastic.html
Diamondite Clear Plastic System Kit For plastic headlight lenses, has anyone else used this or refinished your headlights ?
Old 05-27-2008 | 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Gotta rub them out!
Old 06-21-2008 | 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by navin' post='588760' date='May 26 2008, 07:16 PM
found this on autogeek, http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-plastic.html
Diamondite Clear Plastic System Kit For plastic headlight lenses, has anyone else used this or refinished your headlights ?
Diamondite doesn't do a very good job. Try some of the other detailing websites. I believe Flitz is a good product.
Old 06-21-2008 | 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

same problem here
Old 06-22-2008 | 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

There are many solutions to various degrees of damage to the headlight housings.

First, you'll find hazing - which I doubt has occurred on your 5 series yet. You'll know this when you see it - it looks like the housing has fogged, but on the outside. Usually weather, dust, salt, and acids cause this after a period of time. It's more prevalent in the older, less resilient plastics used in cheaper cars. I still have yet to see it happen on lot with old E39s unless they were really badly teated. Usually this occurs with a combination of all 3 types of wear damage.

Also, there's the mild putting, which just looks like little spots, and sometimes it's ahrd to even identify these as indentations at all, but they still have a noticeable reflection. These usually require more aggressive removal, but not always.

Lastly, is the heavy putting, which is fairly obvious in it's description. Large pits in the surface from rocks.

There are a few ways to remove these.
Chemical, by melting and resurfacing the fixture. This is an older method, utilizing harsh chemicals that will reshape the plastic but have the tendency to create bad distortions, even though they remain clear. Polishing with a rotary is always required after this method. I don't recommend it.

Abrasive methods, which include rotary and compounds or sanding. Sanding is a great option if you know how to wetsand. Of course, proper surface prep is required, and the proper grits should be followed up. Make sure you don't skip anything, otherwise you'll end up with some serious scratches that you'll have to deal with. Always follow up sanding with machine polishing and a heavy compound, and then a medium cut compound.

Lastly, sometimes, but almost never for heavy pitting, you'll want to just machine polish, ad that's all you'll need. This is why the Diamondite system isn't effective in most cases - because most people just have pitting, which will not be removed by rotary polishing alone unless it's almost unnoticeably minor.

When you've repaired it - cover the lenses with Lamin-x - or any type of adhesive laminate protection. I love that stuff, especially the 3m clear bra on paint. It doesn't look 'quite' as good, but it can be polished, waxed, and sure as hell protects your car from damage throughout the years. I really, really wish the PO of my E34 had it put on when they bought the car, but unfortunately it had yet to be availible. Bummer.
Old 06-24-2008 | 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i Black Sapphire Metalic/Auburn Interior, Sports Package, Premium Package, Side and Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth with IPhone connected.

I did it!!! i fixed my damaged headlight lenses!!! they look so good! want to wait till tomorrow to see them in the daylight! will post up a DIY and the source i got the information from to be able to do it!!!!
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:36 PM
Contributors

plz tell us wht product and how. Ill be waitting u DIY.thx.

i need to do this badely
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

I wetsanded my e46 headlight while ago, as you can see in the picture it picked up quite a bit of stone chips after a good 100K mileage
Sorry I didnt take many pictures as i wasnt planned to post on the internet, but here it is and hope this help

1) First of all, wash and clay the area that you going to work (sorry no pic)
See the picture after washed and clayed
headlight finish-p1020461.jpg
headlight finish-.jpg
headlight finish-b.jpg

2) Tape up all the edges to reduce the chance of sanding the painted area
headlight finish-c.jpg
headlight finish-d.jpg

3) I was used 800, 1500, 2000 grit sanding paper wet/dry sanding the chipped area, and finally 3000 grit wet/dry to refine the sanding. **Sanding paper was soaked in water a night before**
headlight finish-e.jpg
headlight finish-f.jpg
headlight finish-g.jpg

4) I was then hitted it with DA polisher with Menz power gloss and Sonus SFX-1 4" cutting pad
and then followed by Menz intensive polish 3.02 with 4" polishing pad to polish out all the sanding marks, and here are few finished pictures.

After Power gloss x 2hits:
headlight finish-after.jpg

After 3.02
headlight finish-h.jpg
headlight finish-i.jpg

Cheers
Keith

Quick Reply: headlight finish