Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Engine Bay cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have never cleaned the engine bay of a car before and was curious who does, at what intervals, and what do you use to clean it?

Thanks,
Kris
Old 10-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Hi Kris,

I have never done it because I have been warned in the past that I could get problems with electrical components under the enginebay when using water on it.

So I decided to never clean it.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I never have either but I opened her up a week or so ago and it was pretty clean ... about 7 months old.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the replys. It looks pretty full in there so there probably isn't much room for stuff to get around in there.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

I use a damp cloth and wipe it down monthly. I make sure that it is not dripping wet. Just dmap enough to get the dust.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Will have it done with my inspections at my dealer.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I would have to agree... I am not a big fan of cleaning the engine compartment, although I think a damp rag would probably do the trick. This hessitation comes from hrs trying to figure out what I screwed up when I once washed the engine compartment of my '71 XKE. Of course, it was probably just the Lucas electrical stuff that hated the water.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do keep my engine compartment clean. Mostly just fresh water(no pressure) to wash away the dust that collects and dry what areas I can reach. It gives me a chance to look for odd items under the hood like developing oil leaks etc. ( Not that an E60 should have any yet). I 'm sure who ever has to work on it will appreciate a clean work enviroment. It shows a sense of pride and "Dang this thing is clean and new, it shouldn't be broken". I also try and wash my car before service. If I give them a clean car it looks like I take care of and know what is going on with it. At least that what I hope to present.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I just got my 545 in November.

I have washed it myself every Saturday. As part of my routine, I have wiped down the engine with a wet cloth. Dust has not been accumulating so far.... my feeling is, if I remain diligent with this routine.... my engine will always look great, and will never need a major cleaning.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Senior Members

Check out this DIY post.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay cleaning