Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

530D MAF Cleaning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant seem to take out to MAF. Ive taken out all the screws except for the one in the bottom which just seems impossible to get to. Ive looked up all the posts and none seem to be of any help. Is there any other way of taking it out for a clean. thanks

antony
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Members

no one?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tcaiz' post='820237' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:05 PM
no one?
Maybe no one understands what the "MAF" exactly is and in US they don't have diesels.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Members

I've just got hold of a 2nd hand MAF, plan to use it to investigate a little issue with the car.
Plan to fit it on Friday, I'll let you know how I get on.

Jason
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jasonprice07' post='820339' date='Mar 18 2009, 06:53 PM
I've just got hold of a 2nd hand MAF, plan to use it to investigate a little issue with the car.
Plan to fit it on Friday, I'll let you know how I get on.

Jason
nice one mate
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='820308' date='Mar 18 2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe no one understands what the "MAF" exactly is and in US they don't have diesels.
righhhhhhht ........ok...should i not ask questions about diesels then? im pretty sure we have some european members on this site considering BMW is a EUROPEAN car. MAF is the common name for Mass Air Flow, and if they dont know what it is, then they probably dont know what to do either and "maybe" wont be much help either. But thanks for the tip
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

Originally Posted by tcaiz' post='820537' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:17 PM
righhhhhhht ........ok...should i not ask questions about diesels then? im pretty sure we have some european members on this site considering BMW is a EUROPEAN car. MAF is the common name for Mass Air Flow, and if they dont know what it is, then they probably dont know what to do either and "maybe" wont be much help either. But thanks for the tip
You mean the MAF sensor?

US cars do have them, not just diesel models. I cleaned mine on my 530i...
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I don't know exactly what the problem is that you are having, however, my kid's 4Runner threw a code that indicated the MAF needed cleaning. So, I disconnected the entire assembly, but I did not disassemble the MAF housing itself. I then flushed it repeatedly with a small amount of lacquer thinner. That cleared the fault and it's been fine since. So, if you are asking about actually disassembling the MAF itself, that probably is not necessary as long as you can get a decent amount of solvent into it to wash it. I've heard some people use acetone, but I think that might be a little tough on any plastic parts. Also, my son's friend previously attemtpted to clean it with carburetor cleaner, but that didn't work. I think wahtever you use needs to be able to clean oils and other crud off the sensor, but not leave any residue whatsoever. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='820651' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't know exactly what the problem is that you are having, however, my kid's 4Runner threw a code that indicated the MAF needed cleaning. So, I disconnected the entire assembly, but I did not disassemble the MAF housing itself. I then flushed it repeatedly with a small amount of lacquer thinner. That cleared the fault and it's been fine since. So, if you are asking about actually disassembling the MAF itself, that probably is not necessary as long as you can get a decent amount of solvent into it to wash it. I've heard some people use acetone, but I think that might be a little tough on any plastic parts. Also, my son's friend previously attemtpted to clean it with carburetor cleaner, but that didn't work. I think wahtever you use needs to be able to clean oils and other crud off the sensor, but not leave any residue whatsoever. Good luck.
thanks a lot thats some great info. I picked up come Electrical Solvent Cleaner from Maplins, i was told that it should do the job.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='820599' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:29 PM
You mean the MAF sensor?

US cars do have them, not just diesel models. I cleaned mine on my 530i...
Im sure they do, but apperantly the other guy thinks you wouldnt know what it means.

Quick Reply: 530D MAF Cleaning Problem