Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Who is sorry they purchase SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SMG downshifts happen as soon as you press the lever. They're way faster (and safer) than downshifting a steptronic while driving agressively.

For me, the auto mode is worthless -- I never use it -- but some people here use it from time-to-time...
Old 04-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

The only "delay" is how long it physically takes to change the gears which, with the SMG, is faster than a traditioal manual.

I agree that auto is useless. Used it only once to show my wife how it works in case she has to drive the car.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Apr 14 2005, 10:44 AM
Question for owners of SMG equipped e60s. When you are driving aggressively on curvy roads and approach a curve and downshift, does the car downshift immediately or does it hesitate a split second? I am concerned about the delayed shift as with my current steptronic. I want a manual for total control, but it is really hard to talk on a cell phone and shift gears, so SMG may be the answer. I have a handsfree kit in my car now, but people have a hard time hearing me with it so I usually pick up.

Is the auto SMG mode totally worthless? Surely it could be used during a phone conversation more effectively than trying to shift gears or would it be jerking around so badly I wouldn't want to use it. Man, BMW almost gives you too many options.

I may pose the question of how effective handsfree with bluetooth is on a bluetooth thread. I assume e60s with bluetooth offer handsfree phone capability.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
[snapback]115340[/snapback]
I actually use the Auto mode quite often. Sometimes I keep mixing between the two (driving in auto but find the need for a quick downshift - it's just a thumb push away - then throw it back into auto when the fun is done). Mine doesn't jerk at all in Auto mode.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Auto mode makes me carsick...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

TRUST ME U WONT REGRET SMG I LUV IT AND ALPINE WHITE IS GREAT 2 WHICH I GOT ALSO GOOD LUCK MAKE SURE U GET SPORT PACKAGE
Old 04-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, SilverGray, Black Leather, Step, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats.

I hated the SMG II on my M3 and dumped the car early because of it. Great for track (I don't view the 5Series as a track car). Everyday, I just did not like it at all. And, yes I knew how to drive it and feather the clutch and all of that BS. It only felt refined when you were full throttle. Some people love it, so it is personal opinion. You asked.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributors

I love mine, and was sold based on information from this forum. I also test drove a 330ci with it to at least give it a shot. There are times where I still miss a manual, and will admit, It needs to be more refined at the ultra slow traffic in LA for instance IMHO. It would be in and out of gear/clutching so it was kind of jerky, only get up to 3 mph, and then stop. Hard to explain. But Going back to Colorado soon, so don't have to worry as much. Some of it could be me, as currently not my regular vehicle.

But once you get on a good twisty mountain road, Yeah baby.

And yeah never use auto mode.

Wish the SMG current sport mode was normal mode, and had faster sport mode.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Apr 14 2005, 05:27 PM
I love mine, and was sold based on information from this forum.? I also test drove a 330ci with it to at least give it a shot.? There are times where I still miss a manual, and will admit, It needs to be more refined at the ultra slow traffic in LA for instance IMHO.? It would be in and out of gear/clutching so it was kind of jerky, only get up to 3 mph, and then stop. Hard to explain.? But Going back to Colorado soon, so don't have to worry as much.? Some of it could be me, as currently not my regular vehicle.

But once you get on a good twisty mountain road, Yeah baby.

And yeah never use auto mode.

Wish the SMG current sport mode was normal mode, and had faster sport mode.
[snapback]115554[/snapback]
Exactly right. On bumper to bumper traffic, nothing beats automatic.

I also like that it has a sport and normal mode. When I have passengers, the normal mode works very smoothly. But I only wish they can have the sport mode as defaut cause I drive alone often.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:53 PM
Auto mode makes me carsick...?
[snapback]115507[/snapback]
Even with Sport Mode? I must admit, althought I use Auto mode a fair amount(say 35%) I'm NEVER not in Sport mode. It's second nature now: Clear I-drive warning then press sport button.

I also wish that the current Sport setting was the default and thatSport would shift quicker (especially upshifting).
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I was embellishing just a bit. I really don't use it that much to know how much difference sport mode makes.

I simply have no desire for an automatic or an SMG mode that attempts to emulate one...

Quick Reply: Who is sorry they purchase SMG?