Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Who is sorry they purchase SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

A few things:

The beige interior as others have said is really hard to keep clean. I just got my car detailled, and in the preceding 12 months the tan montana leather had gotten really dirty looking. Like another poster said, the grain is deep and catches the dirt/grime and gives a really dirty look.

When the dealership says, "You won't like SMG," of course that's not a statement of fact but one of opinion. You may have relied on that statement for more than it was -- an opinion. My dealer said something similar, but I've not given up on it as I've not driven an SMG car yet. (I suspect that the vast majority of all US BMW owners wouldn't like SMG. I also suspect that E60 Forum readers are not representative of that big class.) The dealer has promised to call me when they get an SMG in so that I can drive it.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:08 AM
[quote name='GEARS5' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:00 AM']SMG all the way!!? It is not jumpy at all if you drive it like a manual.? I never use the automatic mode, and in manual mode, I never let the computer do the downshifting.? You must either downshift yourself all the way to first, or use neutral like you would in a true manual.? (keep in mind that you may also start in 2nd gear). Basically the only difference between the SMG and the 6-speed manual, is that the car is applying the clutch for you (and blipping the trottle on downshifts).
[snapback]114876[/snapback]
I never use the auto mode, its worthless.

But now I have a question: when I downshift manually, which I do all the time, , my SMG sometimes is very smooth, sometimes very jaggedy (in particluar from 3rd to 2nd). Also, it makes a VERY audible click, clack noise both on upshift and downshift. The niose is getting louder with time.

I have asked this before here, but since my dealer keeps telling me its perfectly normal I need help in finding out if anybody else has this? I need ammunition to convince the dealer something is wrong....
[snapback]114882[/snapback]
[/quote]

This does not sound normal. I get perfectly smooth downshifts all the time, even when I am going too fast for the lower gear. And definitely no clicking or clacking. You should ask to compare it to another SMG at the dealer. If you are ever up in the Montgomery or Bucks County PA area, you could try mine for comparison.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by GEARS5' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:27 AM
[quote name='drjochen' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:08 AM'][quote name='GEARS5' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:00 AM']SMG all the way!!? It is not jumpy at all if you drive it like a manual.? I never use the automatic mode, and in manual mode, I never let the computer do the downshifting.? You must either downshift yourself all the way to first, or use neutral like you would in a true manual.? (keep in mind that you may also start in 2nd gear). Basically the only difference between the SMG and the 6-speed manual, is that the car is applying the clutch for you (and blipping the trottle on downshifts).
[snapback]114876[/snapback]
I never use the auto mode, its worthless.

But now I have a question: when I downshift manually, which I do all the time, , my SMG sometimes is very smooth, sometimes very jaggedy (in particluar from 3rd to 2nd). Also, it makes a VERY audible click, clack noise both on upshift and downshift. The niose is getting louder with time.

I have asked this before here, but since my dealer keeps telling me its perfectly normal I need help in finding out if anybody else has this? I need ammunition to convince the dealer something is wrong....
[/quote]

This does not sound normal. I get perfectly smooth downshifts all the time, even when I am going too fast for the lower gear. And definitely no clicking or clacking. You should ask to compare it to another SMG at the dealer. If you are ever up in the Montgomery or Bucks County PA area, you could try mine for comparison.
[snapback]114889[/snapback]
[/quote]

My dealer (West Chester, PA) unfortunately doesn't have another SMG.
So, no click/clack. I really might want to compare your car to mine.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree that what you describe isn't normal. My car doesn't click or clack...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:08 AM

Mine Does that too in these conditions:
1. When I am crawling through a parking lot full of speed bumps, so I am hunting between 1st-2nd gear, the clutch gets confused and dumps the clutch too fast and I get slapped.

2. When I am slowing down to stop whilest making a turn (tapping the brake and then gas lightly). For example, pulling in my driveway from an uphill street. The clutch, again is dumped suddenly while I am in 1st gear. The car will launch forward a bit as a result.

3. Problem 2 has happened while making a normal turn, while on 2nd gear. 3 times. Due to higher speed, the lauching was more violent and scared me silly 3 times.

I am taking my car in on May 3rd (earliers appointment) thanks to you guys who proves that this is abnormal. I was gonna put up with it if it wasn't for all your inputs.

Besides the problems describes above (It may never happen to you), The SMG is just a dream. I use the console stick to shift almost exclusively. It has a very positive and short throw which I love.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Members

Funny, the dealer I went to also said the auto was better and kind of dissed on the SMG. I think it may have had to due more with the fact that they didn't have any SMG in stock.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 AM
JDN
Contributors

I think that dealers who do not have the SMG in stock are more apt to opt for the auto tranny to get a quicker closing.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 13 2005, 06:29 AM
How dare you take the advice of a salesperson when you could've gotten expert advice right here??

Get the SMG -- traffic or not, you won't regret it.? (Alpine White is also awesome...)
[snapback]114855[/snapback]
I know, I know. I was not turned onto this board until after I placed my order. I am going to stay with my order, do a two year lease, and evalute again then.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by 550i' date='Apr 13 2005, 09:07 AM
Funny, the dealer I went to also said the auto was better and kind of dissed on the SMG.? I think it may have had to due more with the fact that they didn't have any SMG in stock.
[snapback]114922[/snapback]
I also think they did not want to special order an SMG. They take longer to sell.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Can anyone else see LuvE60's avatar?

Quick Reply: Who is sorry they purchase SMG?