Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Who is sorry they purchase SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I made the mistake today of letting someone convince me to drive a 545i with SMG. When I placed my order, my SA told me I would not like it. They did not have one to test, and I took his word on it. I was ordering a car, why would he say something that was not true. It is not like he doesn't know my driving style.

Anyway, I loved it. I may cancel my order, and either get a car from another dealer, or place a new order. I am at most two weeks from taking delivery. What should I do? I found one that matches my specs, but is Alpine White. I like the white a lot. Opinions?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I test drove a 545i SMG from someone in this forum before and all i can say is 'WOW!!'. In fact, i am still a newbie for a 6-speed manual but i was able to shift the gears pretty well after a few mins of driving. I am sure the SMG owners here are gonna tell you that you will not regret getting the SMG. Good luck!

P.S. I love alpine white a lot too, especially with the auburn interior..
Old 04-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Apr 13 2005, 12:44 AM
I test drove a 545i SMG from someone in this forum before and all i can say is 'WOW!!'. In fact, i am still a newbie for a 6-speed manual but i was able to shift the gears pretty well after a few mins of driving. I am sure the SMG owners here are gonna tell you that you will not regret getting the SMG. Good luck!?

P.S. I love alpine white a lot too, especially with the auburn interior..?
[snapback]114785[/snapback]
The interior is beige, which I like. The issue with that is the kids. They are kinda messy. The other plus about the white SMG car is that it has the rear fold down seats which I hear is a must when using a child seat. No infants right now, but in the future................... I am pretty sure I am going to have him get me the SMG.

I found out about this car from another dealer who is actually $42.00 lower on the payment. Two rival dealers. Should have pitted them against each other in the beginning. If my current SA can get me the car and the payment, I will most likely pull the trigger.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Contributors

Get the SMG!!! You will regret taking advice from you dealer if you don't. It is your car not theres to sell you. Piss on thema nd get what you want SMG!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:28 AM
I made the mistake today of letting someone convince me to drive a 545i with SMG.? When I placed my order, my SA told me I would not like it.? They did not have one to test, and I took his word on it.? I was ordering a car, why would he say something? that was not true.? It is not like he doesn't know my driving style.

Anyway, I loved it.? I may cancel my order, and either get a car from another dealer, or place a new order.? I am at most two weeks from taking delivery.? What should I do?? I found one that matches my specs, but is Alpine White.? I like the white a lot.? Opinions?
[snapback]114782[/snapback]
If you drive a lot in dense traffic, SMG is not the solution. I just got back from 2 days in Washington and the SMG is very jumpy - and I tried as hard as I could.
But then, on the open road I tremendously enjoy it.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 13 2005, 01:58 AM
[quote name='soc_fans' date='Apr 13 2005, 12:44 AM']I test drove a 545i SMG from someone in this forum before and all i can say is 'WOW!!'. In fact, i am still a newbie for a 6-speed manual but i was able to shift the gears pretty well after a few mins of driving. I am sure the SMG owners here are gonna tell you that you will not regret getting the SMG. Good luck!?

P.S. I love alpine white a lot too, especially with the auburn interior..??
[snapback]114785[/snapback]
The interior is beige, which I like. The issue with that is the kids. They are kinda messy. The other plus about the white SMG car is that it has the rear fold down seats which I hear is a must when using a child seat. No infants right now, but in the future................... I am pretty sure I am going to have him get me the SMG.

I found out about this car from another dealer who is actually $42.00 lower on the payment. Two rival dealers. Should have pitted them against each other in the beginning. If my current SA can get me the car and the payment, I will most likely pull the trigger.
[snapback]114790[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Beige interior on the E60 is a nightmare to keep clean. Easily the worst interior I've ever had in terms of showing any dirt whatsoever. I think it's because the grain of the leather is fairly deep, so any dirt on the surface contrasts with the grain and shows up very easily. I'll never get anything like it again...
Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

How dare you take the advice of a salesperson when you could've gotten expert advice right here?

Get the SMG -- traffic or not, you won't regret it. (Alpine White is also awesome...)
Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

yes take smg my dealer told me not to get it and not to get tons of other stuff like active steering and sport susp and dar tinted rear windows and 19inc rims now i regret listening to this guy oh and worst of all he convinced me to get a 525d instead of 530d

now that i drove the 530d from a friend i can tottaly feel the difference.

never listen to a dealers advice the sales guy is probably drivin a dodge neon how would he know no offence :'(

hk

PS: still love my 525d
Old 04-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Members

SMG all the way!! It is not jumpy at all if you drive it like a manual. I never use the automatic mode, and in manual mode, I never let the computer do the downshifting. You must either downshift yourself all the way to first, or use neutral like you would in a true manual. (keep in mind that you may also start in 2nd gear). Basically the only difference between the SMG and the 6-speed manual, is that the car is applying the clutch for you (and blipping the trottle on downshifts).
Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by GEARS5' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:00 AM
SMG all the way!!? It is not jumpy at all if you drive it like a manual.? I never use the automatic mode, and in manual mode, I never let the computer do the downshifting.? You must either downshift yourself all the way to first, or use neutral like you would in a true manual.? (keep in mind that you may also start in 2nd gear). Basically the only difference between the SMG and the 6-speed manual, is that the car is applying the clutch for you (and blipping the trottle on downshifts).
[snapback]114876[/snapback]
I never use the auto mode, its worthless.

But now I have a question: when I downshift manually, which I do all the time, , my SMG sometimes is very smooth, sometimes very jaggedy (in particluar from 3rd to 2nd). Also, it makes a VERY audible click, clack noise both on upshift and downshift. The niose is getting louder with time.

I have asked this before here, but since my dealer keeps telling me its perfectly normal I need help in finding out if anybody else has this? I need ammunition to convince the dealer something is wrong....

Quick Reply: Who is sorry they purchase SMG?