Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

WHat is CPO really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Don't most 3rd party companies charge deductibles? I know with a previous car of mine I had a 3rd party warranty, and they charged $50 a pop to use it
Yeah, but they cover things like the i-Drive which CPO doesn't (or any other electronics for that matter), maintenance warranty covers belts, but not tensioners, pretty much the warranties (other than new car) BMW offers suck ass
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, the best part of CPO is the fact that major drivetrain components ARE covered - engine components, transmission troubles, etc. The worst thing is that some pretty expensive electronic components are NOT covered. Optional equipment, generally is NOT covered - so in my case while normally the steering system would be covered, anything having to do with my active steering would NOT be covered. Nor do I expect that most suspension components would be covered, as their failure would probably be considered normal wear and tear after a certain number of miles.

Obviously the guy was trying to get you to buy the warranty by crapping on your existing coverage with the CPO program. It's not that bad, you just can't expect the bumper-to-bumper coverage that you get with the original warranty. After 50,000 miles, something that fails is increasingly going to be considered 'normal wear and tear' as opposed to a manufacturing defect.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jm545i
In my experience, the best part of CPO is the fact that major drivetrain components ARE covered - engine components, transmission troubles, etc. The worst thing is that some pretty expensive electronic components are NOT covered. Optional equipment, generally is NOT covered - so in my case while normally the steering system would be covered, anything having to do with my active steering would NOT be covered. Nor do I expect that most suspension components would be covered, as their failure would probably be considered normal wear and tear after a certain number of miles.

Obviously the guy was trying to get you to buy the warranty by crapping on your existing coverage with the CPO program. It's not that bad, you just can't expect the bumper-to-bumper coverage that you get with the original warranty. After 50,000 miles, something that fails is increasingly going to be considered 'normal wear and tear' as opposed to a manufacturing defect.
I agree completely. So what do you think, would the extended warranty be a wise investment? He quoted me $2300 and I have until just before I hit 50k on the odometer.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

I would say no, particularly given that the apparently weakest link in your vehicle, the HPFP, is covered without it. I'd find a good non-dealer source for non-CPO warranty work, do what you can yourself, and maintain the crap out of the vehicle with good preventative work - just my opinion, and what I'd do (and what I've done, with arguably a more "at-risk" vehicle).

I WOULD get it looked over very thoroughly before your warranty is up however, to make sure there isn't something you haven't been told about that you can get fixed now under the new vehicle warranty.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Yeah, but they cover things like the i-Drive which CPO doesn't (or any other electronics for that matter)
you keep saying that but that isn't true. maybe you had a bad experience, but there is no indication at all that CPO would not cover most electrical items. if it isn't on the list and they are charging you for it, you should probably be going to a different dealer or calling bmwusa and ask them to update their CPO explanations on the website.

not covered:

"Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories."
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i / 475 / LCSW / ZPP / ZSP / 205 / 4BY / 508 / 609 / 6FL

Originally Posted by BossHog
The real concern for me is that my service tech went on to state that since I am approaching 50,000 miles Currently 48,480), then I should consider buying the extended warranty. I said there's no need cause its CPO and he went on to "correct" me. Apparently, the CPO covers next to nothing when I thought I had an additional 2 years and/or 50,000 miles upon the original warranty expiring. I believed it to be treated as if I had bought a brand new car and it was acting as an original warranty.

I have only owned the car for 6 months, bought it used/CPO from dealership with 39,000 miles. Now they state that I am responsible for just about everything else once the original wearranty expires. Is this true? How can this be? How naieve was I to think that I was safe for another 2 years? WHat does CPO cover anyway?
Sounds like your service tech was trying to get you to extend the maintenance plan, which is different and separate from the CPO warranty: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceUpgrade.aspx

What people don't understand is that when you buy a new BMW, it comes w/ a 4yr/50k warranty AND a 4yr/50k free maintenance plan. When you buy a CPO BMW, it only extends the warranty, NOT the maintenance plan -- you have to buy that separately. Your salesguy should have provided this information as well as a CPO brochure for you to review.

Michael.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
you keep saying that but that isn't true. maybe you had a bad experience, but there is no indication at all that CPO would not cover most electrical items. if it isn't on the list and they are charging you for it, you should probably be going to a different dealer or calling bmwusa and ask them to update their CPO explanations on the website.

not covered:

"Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories."
The problem is that as a practical matter, the biggest vulnerability in the electronics of our cars are connected to the CCC, which, inconveniently, is the driver for the nav system, telephone, radio, etc., and specifically exempted as you quote above. Engine electronics would presumably be covered, though I haven't heard about them going bad. The biggest defect I've heard about is the unfortunately placed electronic components in the spare tire well, which I have heard numerous horror stories of BMW NOT covering under anything other than the new vehicle warranty, even though their placement is quite clearly a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Sounds like your service tech was trying to get you to extend the maintenance plan, which is different and separate from the CPO warranty: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceUpgrade.aspx

What people don't understand is that when you buy a new BMW, it comes w/ a 4yr/50k warranty AND a 4yr/50k free maintenance plan. When you buy a CPO BMW, it only extends the warranty, NOT the maintenance plan -- you have to buy that separately. Your salesguy should have provided this information as well as a CPO brochure for you to review.

Michael.
My salesman left something to be desired to say the least...

Needless to say, he failed to mention anything of the sort.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
The problem is that as a practical matter, the biggest vulnerability in the electronics of our cars are connected to the CCC, which, inconveniently, is the driver for the nav system, telephone, radio, etc., and specifically exempted as you quote above. Engine electronics would presumably be covered, though I haven't heard about them going bad. The biggest defect I've heard about is the unfortunately placed electronic components in the spare tire well, which I have heard numerous horror stories of BMW NOT covering under anything other than the new vehicle warranty, even though their placement is quite clearly a disaster waiting to happen.
yeah that sounds viable for sure. however it does seem like if your windows suddenly weren't rolling up and down and they found that the CCC was at fault, they would replace it. if you went in there and said your nav didn't work and they found out it was due to a faulty CCC however, it seems like it would be very easy for them so say sorry, we don't cover that under the CPO. thoughts?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah that sounds viable for sure. however it does seem like if your windows suddenly weren't rolling up and down and they found that the CCC was at fault, they would replace it. if you went in there and said your nav didn't work and they found out it was due to a faulty CCC however, it seems like it would be very easy for them so say sorry, we don't cover that under the CPO. thoughts?
Yep, that is exactly what happens. And I did contact BMWNA and they said the same thing: it's not covered. What IS covered is the anti-trap on the windows, I had the drivers side replaced under CPO. However, if your windows don;t roll up they will NOT replace the CCC since the CCC has no control over the windows.

Quick Reply: WHat is CPO really?