Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

WHat is CPO really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I scheduled a service appointment today for my 2008 535i. The car had to be jumped several times within the past week and was giving off the following werror message: "Increased battery discharge." Long story short, I get there and they diagnose that the key fob was left in the car for an extended period of time. I go on to deny that any of this had ever occurred and then I catch myself; I routinely detail my car with the radio on and the fob statys within the ignition, in the engine off position, for long periods of time. That had to have been it. In summation, that car wash/detail cost me $360.95 (battery replacement and install). No one had ever informed be of the consequences of such an action. My bad.

The real concern for me is that my service tech went on to state that since I am approaching 50,000 miles Currently 48,480), then I should consider buying the extended warranty. I said there's no need cause its CPO and he went on to "correct" me. Apparently, the CPO covers next to nothing when I thought I had an additional 2 years and/or 50,000 miles upon the original warranty expiring. I believed it to be treated as if I had bought a brand new car and it was acting as an original warranty.

I have only owned the car for 6 months, bought it used/CPO from dealership with 39,000 miles. Now they state that I am responsible for just about everything else once the original wearranty expires. Is this true? How can this be? How naieve was I to think that I was safe for another 2 years? WHat does CPO cover anyway?

I truly feel misled. On a different note I would never buy another car from the salesperson who I dealt with. He was so awful that this morning when speaking with the service tech I stated my displeasure with this individual. Without even uttering his name, the service tech said "let me guess,...it was ____ ___." He then when on to state that they had some great salesman there, but he was not one of them.

Not feeling to good about that whole process in retrospect.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Members

What does CPO stand for?

It's Chief Petty Officer this side of the pond
Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

Certified pre-owned.....We have Chief Petty Officers on our side as well though...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BossHog
So I scheduled a service appointment today for my 2008 535i. The car had to be jumped several times within the past week and was giving off the following werror message: "Increased battery discharge." Long story short, I get there and they diagnose that the key fob was left in the car for an extended period of time. I go on to deny that any of this had ever occurred and then I catch myself; I routinely detail my car with the radio on and the fob statys within the ignition, in the engine off position, for long periods of time. That had to have been it. In summation, that car wash/detail cost me $360.95 (battery replacement and install). No one had ever informed be of the consequences of such an action. My bad.

The real concern for me is that my service tech went on to state that since I am approaching 50,000 miles Currently 48,480), then I should consider buying the extended warranty. I said there's no need cause its CPO and he went on to "correct" me. Apparently, the CPO covers next to nothing when I thought I had an additional 2 years and/or 50,000 miles upon the original warranty expiring. I believed it to be treated as if I had bought a brand new car and it was acting as an original warranty.

I have only owned the car for 6 months, bought it used/CPO from dealership with 39,000 miles. Now they state that I am responsible for just about everything else once the original wearranty expires. Is this true? How can this be? How naieve was I to think that I was safe for another 2 years? WHat does CPO cover anyway?

I truly feel misled. On a different note I would never buy another car from the salesperson who I dealt with. He was so awful that this morning when speaking with the service tech I stated my displeasure with this individual. Without even uttering his name, the service tech said "let me guess,...it was ____ ___." He then when on to state that they had some great salesman there, but he was not one of them.

bmw states pretty clearly on their website what CPO is and does/does not cover:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...y/default.aspx

the CPO does appear to be quite comprehensive and cover most things minus wear/maintenance items and your audio/nav. though, i have heard different people have different experiences. maybe it really depends on your SA. when i spoke to my SA he seemed pretty confident the CPO warranty would suffice in most cases for problems with my car. i have not actually tested him on this theory, yet, though.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

CPO sucks, covers only what is LEAST likely to break and then you gotta pay $50 out of pocket to get it fixed. When I buy another car I am dropping CPO and getting a good 3rd party warranty like mercury or something.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Default.aspx Sorry, I'm not able to feed you today ... but go to the website I've posted and you'll have to hunt, fish, and farm for yourself

BTW, IMHO that battery replacement should NOT have come out of your pocket.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

CPO has saved me a couple of times so far.

Most recent was the drivers side seat thigh support extender thing crapped out. They replaced the motor. I paid $50

Before that was the key fob antenna receiver thing. They replaced the module. I paid $50

Both of those items would of cost me far more than 50 bucks each with parts/ labor.

It does suck that it doesn't cover items like I-Drive, but I hear there are ways around that.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

Certified pre-owned.....We have Chief Petty Officers on our side as well though...
LOL, I love these Americanisms to avoid use of the term "second hand". Mind you we're as bad here now with AUC (Approved Used Car)

It sounds like a BMW UK AUC warranty covers a lot more than you're describing from CPO though. AUC covers anything on the car up to the purchase price of the vehicle with no excess to pay.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by pjinca
CPO sucks, covers only what is LEAST likely to break and then you gotta pay $50 out of pocket to get it fixed. When I buy another car I am dropping CPO and getting a good 3rd party warranty like mercury or something.
Don't most 3rd party companies charge deductibles? I know with a previous car of mine I had a 3rd party warranty, and they charged $50 a pop to use it
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Vista
LOL, I love these Americanisms to avoid use of the term "second hand". Mind you we're as bad here now with AUC (Approved Used Car)

It sounds like a BMW UK AUC warranty covers a lot more than you're describing from CPO though. AUC covers anything on the car up to the purchase price of the vehicle with no excess to pay.

"AUC" : that is just as bad...haha

Quick Reply: WHat is CPO really?