Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Warning about extended maintenance warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

When I bought my car and the extended maintenance warranty, I was told that, among other things, my car would be getting two sets of windshield wipers per year. Now that it is due, I just found out from my dealer that BMW has changed their policy to one set of wipers per year, in other words, two sets for the duration of the two-year program instead of four.

I just called BMW customer relations and they confirmed that, yes, BMW has changed the interval to one set per year. I then told the rep that I would like a partial refund of my contract fee since when I signed up for it they said that I would get four sets of wipers instead of two. She replied that I can't get reimbursed simply because when I signed the contract I also signed a clause that they can change the terms of the contract at anytime.

I told her that I will check on that and then I would take the appropriate action and that I would keep this in mind the next time I buy a BMW. She simply said, "OK, sir, good-bye, thank you for calling BMW" Wow, great customer service.

Anyway, if anybody is planning on buying the extended maintenance program, you should be AWARE in BIG PRINT that BMW reserves the right TO CHANGE the terms of the contract AT ANYTIME. So, if they decide that they won't cover brake pads and rotors (the main reason why I bought it), you are out of luck.

You know what they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me (or like George W. was fond of saying, "ya can't get fooled again).

BMW USA should know that in order for them to save an extra $80.00, they just lost an extra $1600+ when/if I buy another BMW again. I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy another extended maintenance contract from them again and I will ask my attorney to go over all the fine print before I sign anything that BMW puts forth in front of me. Not very smart of them........