Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Transmission Slam

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

I'm trying to gauge just how many people there are in the UK that have experienced transmission slam and EU IV exhaust problems that they're not too pleased with.

Generally in the UK we put up with things and mumble to ourselves if we've been given products or services that don't meet our expectations. I'd like to know if anyone else out there is as unhappy with their E60 diesel as I am. If nobody else gets in touch with me then I'll stop whining and live with it.

If you'd prefer to remain anonymous (in the realms of this forum) then you can contact me at bob.oscar@virgin.net as I intend to pass this info on to BMW UK Ltd in the hope that they fix these problems (assuming they exist and it's not just me).

I am still enthusiastic about this brand and just want my car to behave as I expected when I paid out ?37k which I don't think is too much to ask.

Please let me know.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

no offence...please search the forum. Tons of info about this.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='228247' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:06 PM
Oi! Are you in the UK
Old 01-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='228249
Oi! Are you in the UK
[/quote]
Whyy?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='228245' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:42 PM
I'm trying to gauge just how many people there are in the UK that have experienced transmission slam and EU IV exhaust problems that they're not too pleased with.

Generally in the UK we put up with things and mumble to ourselves if we've been given products or services that don't meet our expectations. I'd like to know if anyone else out there is as unhappy with their E60 diesel as I am. If nobody else gets in touch with me then I'll stop whining and live with it.

If you'd prefer to remain anonymous (in the realms of this forum) then you can contact me at bob.oscar@virgin.net as I intend to pass this info on to BMW UK Ltd in the hope that they fix these problems (assuming they exist and it's not just me).

I am still enthusiastic about this brand and just want my car to behave as I expected when I paid out ?37k which I don't think is too much to ask.

Please let me know.
I'm pretty sure mine has been fixed with v18 of the software.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Yes, the "diff feels like it's just been sent into orbit" is a feature of my E61 535D that I'll be asking the dealer to correct at my 1st service together with some other foibles :

Radio always on when I start the car
Tailgate Struts too weak to lift tailgate
Loose front fog
Loose/rattly instrument cluster
I Drive screen sometimes very very dim
CD Multichanger continues playing CD when its off but you're on the BT phone
Auto gear selection delay just when you're in the middle of a r/bout

My view though is that with the level of complexity and relatively short life-cycle of modern cars, these are 'teething problems' one has come to expect. I blame Bill Gates !
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juliann' post='228262
Originally Posted by colejl' post='228249' date='Jan 23 2006, 11:07 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' post='228247' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:06 PM']
Oi! Are you in the UK
Whyy?
[/quote]
'cos the OP wants UK only feedback!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Have had transmission slam since I got the car in April 05.

CIP Update has failed to cure the problem, now waiting on the result of a PUMA.

Service manager expects to hear from the regional technical manager shortly to see if BMW have an answer.

Next stop for me will be the Press and Lawyer, lets see if a bit of adverse publicity makes them take it seriously.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='228492' date='Jan 23 2006, 10:45 PM

Service manager expects to hear from the regional technical manager shortly to see if BMW have an answer.

Next stop for me will be the Press and Lawyer, lets see if a bit of adverse publicity makes them take it seriously.
How bad is it? Mine used to 'thunk' when slowing down from 2nd to 1st (Or might of been 3rd to 2nd). Appears to shift into 1st when stopping so I don't have the problem when pulling away from rest.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='228496

How bad is it? Mine used to 'thunk' when slowing down from 2nd to 1st (Or might of been 3rd to 2nd). Appears to shift into 1st when stopping so I don't have the problem when pulling away from rest.
[/quote]

I think I have a manifestation of it...my car is only 5 months old. What I experiance is the following. If I pull away slowly its as if the car is in neutral, as the revs build it selects the gear which slams in after a delay of only about a second or maybe slightly more. It only seems to be when i'm moving slowly, and it doesnt always do it. Anyhoo the upshot is that the dealer has had it in for a day, plugged in the diags which couldnt see a problem, they sent off a puma, which has requested that the car is rebooked (7th Feb) for an "over the shoulder" diagnostic session with the BMW team (I guess in HQ somewhere) monitoring the diag.

They seem reluctant to reprog at this point. I dont know if my car already has V20 on it with it only being a Sept 05 delivery and they have no upgrade path...someone mught be able to estimate what CIP I have based on Sept build.
Anyway as always I will keeep yawl informed.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam