Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Trading 01 530 for 07 530

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an 01 530. Bought in 03 as CPO with 30K miles. Currently has 197k.

Thinking of trading for an 07 530 CPO with just under 27K miles.

Can take advantage of 0.9 APR and BMW pays first two payments.

Dealer asking $34.9k for the car, which I think is a little on the high side.

It has premium pkg, steptronic, comfort access, sport seats, nav, satellite radio, logic 7. Silver with gray interior, anthracite maple wood.

Car is in excellent conditon, no scrathes, two very small door dings on the rear passenger door.

Dealer just got in about a week ago and it has just been certified.

The main concern I have is the dealer changed the engine lifters due to noise. I looked the car over before it went in for CPO maintenance and heard a ticking sound from the engine. Popped the hood to verify. Salesman told me since the lifters were changed, the ticking sound went away. I will test drive the vehicle tomorrow to verify.

Read on another forum about people having this lifter problem. The fix seems to be a replacement of the cylinder heads at a cost of $9k. Which would be covered under warranty. Some people even had their engines replaced because of this.

Questions:
1. What do you think of the price? I was going to offer $31k.
2. Has anyone else heard of this problem with lifters? If so, what has been your experience with trying to get fixed.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PrairieDog' post='1070574' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:11 PM

It has premium pkg, steptronic, comfort access, sport seats, nav, satellite radio, logic 7. Silver with gray interior, anthracite maple wood.

Car is in excellent conditon, no scrathes, two very small door dings on the rear passenger door.

The main concern I have is the dealer changed the engine lifters due to noise. I looked the car over before it went in for CPO maintenance and heard a ticking sound from the engine. Popped the hood to verify. Salesman told me since the lifters were changed, the ticking sound went away. I will test drive the vehicle tomorrow to verify.

Read on another forum about people having this lifter problem. The fix seems to be a replacement of the cylinder heads at a cost of $9k. Which would be covered under warranty. Some people even had their engines replaced because of this.

Questions:
2. Has anyone else heard of this problem with lifters? If so, what has been your experience with trying to get fixed.
I dont know about the lifter issue, but I think $35K for an 07 530 is pretty high. I've seen them for under $30K (CPO).Check autotrader.com
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by PrairieDog' post='1070574' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:11 PM

Questions:
Never hurts to make an offer. Look @ www.bmwusa.com and look for CPO vehicle search. See what they are going for elsewhere. Also, you can ask them to pull the door dings out. There is probably a paintless dent removal service that the dealer can use.
You are covered up to 2 yrs or 50,000 miles after the bumper to bumper goes out. I would think if the problem reappears it will be while under warranty. I had my dealer print a service report form prior to buying my car. If you have evidence that the problem has been looked at in the past you are more likely to not have any problems with repairs of that item in the future. Develop a good relationship with the dealer, sales, and service, The delaer can ask for goodwill repairs even after the warranty has expired.
I say if it has had the ticking sound fixed go for it. Make an offer. All they can say is no. Maybe you can meet in the middle. Remember the lower interst rate and 2 mos payment is a limited offer. I think it is up 1/4/10.
Look at retail on kbb. Build the car as it is and see what retail in excellent condition runs.......
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributors

I'll sell you mine. Looks like the same equipment, except mine has 114,000 miles. Let's see, how about $25k

Seriously, I think the '07 530 is a great car. The only issue raised on this board regarding the '07 is the lifter problem. I have not had this problem.

Good luck, and with '07 cars coming off leases I bet pricing will become more favorable for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Members

Test drove the 07 530 today with the wife. Everything seems fine with the car. They replaced the lifters and the "ticking" sound is gone. The also replaced the back tires, performed oil change service, and performed 4 wheel alignment.

Sat with the salesman to talk price. He came down from $34.9K to $33K. Looked on autotrader and bmw's web site to compare prices. With the options, price is about right compared to other vehicles with less options.

He also said my trade ('01 530) was going to be around $2500 to $3000. They will wholesale the car (197k miles). KBB put the car at $3200 average and $4200 high.

I might be able to squeeze another 1000 on the price. Would like to get $3500 for the trade.

Opinions??
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PrairieDog' post='1071171' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:29 PM
Test drove the 07 530 today with the wife. Everything seems fine with the car. They replaced the lifters and the "ticking" sound is gone. The also replaced the back tires, performed oil change service, and performed 4 wheel alignment.

Sat with the salesman to talk price. He came down from $34.9K to $33K. Looked on autotrader and bmw's web site to compare prices. With the options, price is about right compared to other vehicles with less options.
He also said my trade ('01 530) was going to be around $2500 to $3000. They will wholesale the car (197k miles). KBB put the car at $3200 average and $4200 high.
I might be able to squeeze another 1000 on the price. Would like to get $3500 for the trade.
Opinions??
I think you're on track to drop the final price closer to $32K (whether it's more for the trade-in or drop in selling price of the '07). You probably could find a better deal on another '07 but every pre-owned car in unique. If you want to get some more leverage see if they'd cut you a deal on the extended maintenance program. I think that's retail at about $1800 ... Go for them throwing in the whole program and leverage to spliting the cost. You get the idea. They have some profit built into the deal and this might be a good deal-sealer!!
I like my '07 530 - it's an xi. I have only about 30K miles on it and except for a steering sensor replacement, a new battery (replaced under warranty) and maintenance it's been trouble free. No lifter noise either!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1070576' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:21 PM
I dont know about the lifter issue, but I think $35K for an 07 530 is pretty high. I've seen them for under $30K (CPO).Check autotrader.com

Maybe its just a regional issue, but I never saw any CPO 2007 530, even 525 for that matter, for under 30,000 in my search for my CPO 2007 back in late September/early October. The 2006's were sometimes south of 30,000.

I think 33,000 is a good price for that car, especially if its in good shape. Just for comparisons sake, I just bought 2 months ago now an 2007 530xi with all options you listed, add sport package, minus comfort access, for $34,500. It had 31,000 miles, and no damage whatsoever.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Dude that is WAY too high. I saw a 07 550 with 26k miles for $29k in Austin.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Also if you are worried abut the ticking noise , BMW is replacing the ENTIRE heads on the N52's with a new pre-built head to resolve the lifter issue.

You may want to check in to it a bit more

PS: I got a 07 E61 recently with about the same stuff on it minus the Navi, and it was a CPO for about $2.5K less than what you are being quoted... with the BMW .9% and 2 months free...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Here is my recent experience, take it for what its worth.....

First, set your emotions aside for a minute about the "new to you" car.

My wife and I recently traded in a 2005 X5 and a 2003 330XI for a 2006 325XI for her. Forget about the deal, why, and all that. Suffice it to say I bought my 550i before selling my 330XI and we were stuck. Had to get out from them, and she wanted a "new to her" car, she's always driven an SUV of some type.

Anyway, they gave us X for the X5 and Y for the 330XI. They now have them both for sale on their lot (this is a BMW dealer): X5 at X + $7,000 and the 330XI for Y + $6,500.

What a joke. You know that they lowball the value when you are trading in or ending a lease and they highball ya when you are trying to purchase a used vehicle.

I can almost guarantee you that they only have 23 - 25,000 in this car and they are asking $34.9k. Bullshit. They have to make money, yes, but not that much. Offer them $24K and see what they say. In any event I wouldn't pay more than $27k for it.

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Trading 01 530 for 07 530