Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Took delivery of our 545i thi week...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doug' date='Jan 18 2005, 10:27 PM
BTW, the guy in the 330C Hemi or GTO paid less (about 1/2)? than you and can almost stay with you.? I do not judge a car soley on speed, but in the context of the original post, this is an issue.

-Doug
[snapback]80621[/snapback]
Perhaps Doug should buy a 330C Hemi or GTO since he thinks its plain BS that some other drivers might be curious to observe an e60 on the road.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

Sorry, but that is just plain BS.? You just spent a lot of money on a kickass car.? You are excited, proud, whatever.? I know becuase I have one to; I love mine.? But, that said, nobody cares about you or your car.? People are just trying to get to where they want to go and when you play smart ass and block people from passing just for the hell of it, then you are being silly and selfish.? BTW, the guy in the 330C Hemi or GTO paid less (about 1/2)? than you and can almost stay with you.? I do not judge a car soley on speed, but in the context of the original post, this is an issue.

I still stand by my original reply that said that people in Suburban Chicago drive like crap.?

-Doug
You're welcome to your opinion and I have no problem agreeing to disagree with you. I only know what I've experienced in my short time driving the car, folks roll up hard, read the badge and back off. I've seen it several times in the short week I've owned the car.

I've no concern with a 300C being as fast or faster, it's a fine automobile and anyone driving it should be proud. I'd have considered it myself if I hadn't such poor luck with the Chrysler products I've owned previously. Infinti M45 is another one that looks to be a real player. ALL of the cars in this class are fast, that's a given. If fast was the only criteria I'd have bought a Dodge SRT-4, made a few mods and started looking for Porsches to annoy.

Most folks are simply trying to get where they want to go but there are a few that want to enjoy the ride along the way. If it means playing on the road a bit then that's what's on the menu. Lot of folks see a BMW and want to play. They rollup, I'm guessing they see it's the V8 and decide maybe they'll try another one. I know when I'm in my G35c I'm pretty careful not to piss of any of those guys with the "M" badge on the back of their Bimmers.

You know, it could also be the fact that they see the paper plates a figure he won't play, I dunno....

BTW, where did blocking lanes come into play. It's a behavior I've seen myself out here as well but I don't recall anyone bringing it up in this thread. I always call those drivers "self-appointed traffic cops" and you're right, it's something you see too often in the 'burbs. They can be a real challenge to get around sometimes. My favorite method is to let them think you're not interested in passing and they'll usually let their guard down at some point. I've even had drivers try to use me as part of their roadblock, a quick blip on the throttle easily breaks that up. I definately agree with you on that point, those drivers can be real annoying.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 PM

BTW, the guy in the 330C Hemi or GTO paid less (about 1/2)? than you and can almost stay with you.? I do not judge a car soley on speed, but in the context of the original post, this is an issue.

-Doug
No thanks -- you can buy the hearse with a Hemi for 1/2 the cost (honey, fold down those seats quickly so we can load the coffin....).

Chrysler has definitely tapped into the lowest common denominator thinking that high hp is great, no matter what you put it in (see their commercials for the Dodge Magnum). Soon, we'll see the Hemi in a Neon....
Old 01-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

I has similar experiences, but quickly realized that I was looking at, and observing other cars more closely when driving my BMW.

When I take my wife's car out I don't bother to look at other cars driving around me nor am I looking at other people and judging their actions. One day when I made an effort to look around (as I would while out in my BMW) there were several incidents where I could easily have interpreted them as a "looking at my car and backing off phenomenon".

Yet! there are times when it's true and there are times when it's our perception.

Now if you were to tell me that people seem to pull out of parking spot quicker when they see your Bimmer, I would have to agree because it was studied and published that people on average pulled out 15 seconds earlier when a luxury car is waiting.

Once you get used to the power of the car you will know how to use it.

I use my power to pull ahead of the traffic and you will see how easy it is to do. I love pulling out of traffic pockets. I don't speed too much over the speed limit, when those anyoning drivers get around you can easily pull away from them.

As for Hemi challanges, yes there were times when some drivers screech their tires to show off to you, especially hot rods but showing off power is not why BMW owners get their cars.

Drive the Power don't let the Power Drive you.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jan 19 2005, 10:05 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
[snapback]80972[/snapback]
You have to read the whole thread to find out that it is not what it started out as.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

I know when I see a E60, I slow to see whether it is a 525, 530 or 545. Mainly becuase I'm still waiting on my order!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Your car won't make people respect you, but it certainly tends to aid people in their perception of who and what kind of guy you are, from both a "business" and a "success" perspective. And, successful people do command respect.

My former law partner used to drive to court in a stripped, always filthy, 1993 Toyota Tercel. He'd get out of that crapbox and his clients (who, of course, had better cars than their lawyer) would look at him like he was from Mars. Now, I'm sure that a few of the best trial lawyers ever have had crappy, cheap cars. But I bet not many.

Life is 80% image, unfortunately, and the 545 does command at least some respect in that regard.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Doug

Just about anybody can get approved to lease a 545i. Many people live way beyond their means and lease fancy cars. Cars are not a sign of success; sorry.

BTW, I do have a 545, I can afford it and I love it; great car.

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Jan 20 2005, 03:45 PM
Your car won't make people respect you, but it certainly tends to aid people in their perception of who and what kind of guy you are, from both a "business" and a "success" perspective.? ? And, successful people do command respect.? ?

My former law partner used to drive to court in a stripped, always filthy, 1993 Toyota Tercel.? ? He'd get out of that crapbox and his clients (who, of course, had better cars than their lawyer) would look at him like he was from Mars.? Now, I'm sure that a few of the best trial lawyers ever have had crappy, cheap cars.? But I bet not many.? ?

Life is 80% image, unfortunately, and the 545 does command at least some respect in that regard.
[snapback]81209[/snapback]
Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

This is getting to be pretty silly....

You guys are taking this all the wrong way. Never meant to say anyone can judge you as a person because of the car you drive, your financial position or anything like that. All I'm trying to say is people come up hard like they want to race you, read the badge and seem to change their mind.

Believe me, I know what a car looking to play looks like when they roll up, I've done it many times myself. I might also add that I never passed up an opportunty to blow the doors off of any BMW that I could, been smoked myself a few times but that's part of the game. I was very careful to pick on the BMW that I would match up well against. The M cars are easy to spot and were to be avoided. Other than that, it's kinda tough to tell many of the Bimmers apart until you see the badge.

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough ealier but his is the point I was trying to make:
Guys act like they want to race and then seem to back of when they see it's a 545i. How you guys read all that other stuff into this I'll never know.