Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tire replacement for an 05' due to noise???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

Has anyone been able to get BMW to replace the tires on an 05 model for the RFT's due to excessive noise? I think most of the posts I've read were from guys that had 04' models. Mine seem quite loud on the highway and when I'm coming to a stop 20mph to 0. My car was built 9/04, the fronts are week 18/04, and I couldn't figure out the week in 04 for the rears.

Thanks,

SveaRike
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by SveaRike' date='May 26 2005, 02:56 PM
Has anyone been able to get BMW to replace the tires on an 05 model for the RFT's due to excessive noise?? I think most of the posts I've read were from guys that had 04' models.? Mine seem quite loud on the highway and when I'm coming to a stop 20mph to 0.? My car was built 9/04, the fronts are week 18/04, and I couldn't figure out the week in 04 for the rears.

Thanks,

SveaRike
[snapback]133558[/snapback]
I think early 05's can have the problem. Yours was only built 2 months after mine. I would have it noted with your SA before you get too many miles. I am not sure when the Dunlops where updated, but I don't think it was until much later in the 05 model year.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 26 2005, 05:49 PM
I think early 05's can have the problem.? Yours was only built 2 months after mine.? I would have it noted with your SA before you get too many miles.? I am not sure when the Dunlops where updated, but I don't think it was until much later in the 05 model year.
[snapback]133571[/snapback]
I have had them replaced on my 05....however, it was one of the first 05's delivered to the states. I'd say just go in and ask...It can't hurt.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by SveaRike' date='May 26 2005, 05:56 PM
Has anyone been able to get BMW to replace the tires on an 05 model for the RFT's due to excessive noise?? I think most of the posts I've read were from guys that had 04' models.? Mine seem quite loud on the highway and when I'm coming to a stop 20mph to 0.? My car was built 9/04, the fronts are week 18/04, and I couldn't figure out the week in 04 for the rears.

Thanks,

SveaRike
[snapback]133558[/snapback]
Get intouch with Dunlop and they will tell you if your tires have or havenot got the new design.Thats what I did(4304) and they told me I had the NEW Design and I shouldn't have a noise problem.I have 3300+ miles on the tires and so far they are right,(so far).
cheers
vern
Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

i have BRIDGESTONES tires and 43000km done with those....but i have very very big noise....it is RUN flat tires...What to do???which tires to take??
NOW HAVE:
225/50/R17
225/50/R17

530D
SANGO
Best Regards
Old 05-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

[/quote]

I think early 05's can have the problem. Yours was only built 2 months after mine. I would have it noted with your SA before you get too many miles. I am not sure when the Dunlops where updated, but I don't think it was until much later in the 05 model year.
[snapback]133571[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just talked to the Asst Mgr/Service Advisor at South Bay BMW and he offered a free tire rotation, but said that he had NEVER heard of BMW replacing tires due to noise. I told him I could probably give him at least 20 examples, mentioned the Forum, and said many people opened up PUMA cases. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SveaRike
Old 05-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

This is alarming. Mine is built 9/04, but I am experiencing heavenly ride. No noise issues so far at 5000 miles. Let's hope that it stays this way. I don't want to go back to the dealer again even for free tires.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Members

My car was built in 09/04 and when I had it in to get a windshield replacement I also made them open a PUMA case on the tires. The noise started at around 5000 miles, currently at about 7200 miles. I'm currently waiting on BMWNA to call me about it so I can force them to replace the tires. The noise is quite annoying to me and really would like to have a quiet ride again.

Btw, why are SAs so uninformed about all the problems that can occur with the cars they service. When I first mentioned the tire noise, his first response was BMW doesn't cover tires under warranty. Seems all I get from this guy is that "it's not covered under warranty".
Old 05-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by SveaRike' date='May 27 2005, 09:37 AM
Just talked to the Asst Mgr/Service Advisor at South Bay BMW and he offered a free tire rotation, but said that he had NEVER heard of BMW replacing tires due to noise.

SveaRike
[snapback]133776[/snapback]
You can't rotate the tires on a 545i w/ sport package--different sizes front & rear. ! Nice of him to offer, though (and be so knowledgeable about the cars he services...).
Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Legacy679' date='May 27 2005, 12:22 PM
My car was built in 09/04 and when I had it in to get a windshield replacement I also made them open a PUMA case on the tires.? The noise started at around 5000 miles, currently at about 7200 miles.? I'm currently waiting on BMWNA to call me about it so I can force them to replace the tires.? The noise is quite annoying to me and really would like to have a quiet ride again.

Btw, why are SAs so uninformed about all the problems that can occur with the cars they service.? When I first mentioned the tire noise, his first response was BMW doesn't cover tires under warranty.? Seems all I get from this guy is that "it's not covered under warranty".
[snapback]133790[/snapback]
SA called me back today and said BMWNA approved replacement of the front tires, but not the rears. Seems strange that they decided to only approve replacement of the fronts. Has this been the case with anyone else? I'm going to push the issue with them, as I don't think that will solve the problem.

SveaRike

Quick Reply: Tire replacement for an 05' due to noise???