Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Switch from "Titanium Gray" to "Titanium Gray II"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for checking and confirming that their newer E60's were indeed TG II A36 and not TG 892. Much appreciated.

rodybmw
Old 06-10-2004, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 9 2004, 08:28 AM
In case anyone cares, my white car says "Alpinweiss 3".?

How many freaking shades of white do they need??
Rudy,

Actually it is pretty interesting how long BMW has kept the Alpine White III. My 1995 M3 is an Alpine White III and I think they actully started that color a couple of years before that.

I wish that BMW would indicate the second or third generation of their colors in their sales brochures as well. However, they usually keep calling it the same in the brochures and just add the II or III on the paint ID tag under the hood. It gets confusing and people may not realize that there are two or three versions of a color from looking at the brochure. The E60 brochures that I got say Titanium Gray (892), and the new ones would more than likely still say Titanium Gray (A36) (without the II).

rodybmw
Old 06-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FDMeloan' date='Jun 9 2004, 09:12 AM
For the '03 model year the color was Titanium Gray (892).? For the '04 model year the color is Titanium Grey (A36).? Note that BMW changed the spelling from Gray to Grey as well as changing the color slightly.
Hi Fred,

Thanks again for the info. You said that the '03 model year was TG 892 and the '04 model year was TG II A36. Since the E60 was always called a 2004 from start of production would the ones produced before Sep. 2003 be Titanium Gray and the ones after Sep. 2003 be Titanium Grey II?....or was the changeover point Jan 2004?

Thanks,

rodybmw
Old 06-10-2004, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 10 2004, 07:11 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jun 9 2004, 08:28 AM']In case anyone cares, my white car says "Alpinweiss 3".?

How many freaking shades of white do they need??
Rudy,

Actually it is pretty interesting how long BMW has kept the Alpine White III. My 1995 M3 is an Alpine White III and I think they actully started that color a couple of years before that.

I wish that BMW would indicate the second or third generation of their colors in their sales brochures as well. However, they usually keep calling it the same in the brochures and just add the II or III on the paint ID tag under the hood. It gets confusing and people may not realize that there are two or three versions of a color from looking at the brochure. The E60 brochures that I got say Titanium Gray (892), and the new ones would more than likely still say Titanium Gray (A36) (without the II).

rodybmw [/quote]
I'm pretty sure my '89 M3 says "Alpinweiss II" so at least we know a ballpark year that they named it "3".
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 AM
Members

rodybmw:

Thanks for waking me up. For some unexplicable reason I was thinking 5 Series when I answered the question but looked at the 7 Series Order Guide info. The only excuse I can think of is that I just turned 67.

The latest order guide for the 5 Series shows the paint color as Titanium Grey (A36). However, the first brochure for the E60 5 Series shows Titanium Gray (892). I therefore have to believe that since the 7 Series changed to A36 at the start of production of the 2004 model year in September, 2003 that the E60 5 Series changed at the same time. I can only state this as "belief" at this time as I do not have any document that would confirm this situation.

Will a few of you try to confirm this by giving us your production month and color code? In theory any 2004 model year E60 produced in 09/03 or later will have the color code A36.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

i know bmw has over 20 shades of blue and at least 10 is readily available as standard in germany. when i was in munich, i saw each colour on a shelf with the entire actual hoods of each colour for customers to pick from. very professional.
will not be surprised if they have 6 shades of white, i know they have 4 different whites already my favourite is 'diamond'.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Members

Just been out to check my car's colour code and it says Titangrau II Metallic. My car was built end of January/beginning February. When I ordered I only had the 2003 brochure which showed code 892 Titanium Grey. After the spec change date had passed ISUK said he had seen a Titanium Grey and it had a strong green tint which caused me to panic. However on delivery I was very pleased with the colour and suspect the II version has had the green tint toned down. I suspect there cannot be many UK cars in the original 892 titanium grey.
I have had many people comment on what a good colour my car is and I know they were not just being polite.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

I reckon the car I went to see before I ordered was the original Titan. Grey, it did have a distinct green tinge (put me off a bit).

The pics I have seen so far of the TII car have been absolutely awesome.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Thanks again everyone for the info. Thanks for going out to your cars and checking the paint code.

rodybmw
Old 06-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FDMeloan' date='Jun 10 2004, 07:03 AM
I therefore have to believe that since the 7 Series changed to A36 at the start of production of the 2004 model year in September, 2003 that the E60 5 Series changed at the same time.? I can only state this as "belief" at this time as I do not have any document that would confirm this situation.
Fred,

Thanks for the further info. I think your theory on the Sep. 2003 changeover point is probably correct.

I like TG II and will most likely end up having to order it for my 2005 545i. However, I would like to ask you a question about special ordering the E60 in Stratus Gray. I know from experience that BMW NA is very unpredictable on whether or not they will accept special order colors or interior materials. I tried ordering my 1995 M3 in an Audi Pearl White and they declined. Then I tried a non-US BMW color and they said OK (for $1300 extra). I agreed, but then they "changed their minds" and I ended up having to choose a standard US color. In 1997 they accepted my request for a non-US cloth interior on a Euro Delivery 528i without any hesitation, and they did it for FREE. Then in 2001 again they did not let me have an X5 in a Euro X5 color, so ended up with T. Silver.

So now I would really like to get the 545i in Stratus Gray with the Truffle Brown interior (which is a standard E60 interior color everywhere except the US). However, my salesman says that even if BMW NA accepts a special order for a US Delivery car, they would almost certainly deny it on a Euro Delivery one (which I will be doing). He says that BMW NA started to not allow any special orders on Euro Delivery cars a few years ago. At first he got around it by ordering them as part of the dealer's allocation and then just before the lockdown day he would change it in the computer to ED. When BMW NA caught on to what was happening they stopped that too.

So I guess I want a second opinion from someone who is informative and trustworthy, which would be you. Is there anything new on allowing speicial colors/Euro interiors on ED cars?....or are they still not allowing it?

Thanks in Advance,

rodybmw

Quick Reply: Switch from "Titanium Gray" to "Titanium Gray II"