Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sports Package or No Sports Package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' date='Mar 10 2004, 12:15 PM
You guys are scaring me.
I just ordered my 530i with no sports package but with the Dynamic package which includes Active Steering and Dynamic drive which I belive also has the ARS in it. Thats one of the top feature i wanted this car for. Also to get this package i did not have to pick the sports package which only includes Compact Spare Tire Delete, Sport Suspension, Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Shadow Line, 18'' Star Spoke Alloy Wheels - Style 123. Along with Dynamic Package i also added the premium package which includes Auto Dimming Mirror, Ext., Auto Dimming Mirror, Int., Through Load with Ski Bag, Heated Seats Rear, Park Distance Control, Includes visual display., Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System and the Navigation Package which includes BMW On-Board Navigation, Voice Control, Canada-US Navigation DVD. Along with those, i also got the ventilated comfort seats and adaptive headlights. So i really dont think you need the sports package for ARS. Unless im wrong, i would have to change my order instantly before march 15 which is the final date to change my decision. BTW, I am purchasing this bmw in canada so the options in different countries may vary.
[snapback]4812[/snapback]
We do have different option packages in Canada (thank goodness) then what the offer in the USA ... you can get Dynamic Package (active steering and dynamic handling), or dynamic handling standalone ... the sport package is a separate option ..
Old 02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

NJ winters aren't that bad & I would opt for 5 series over an x5. The X5 is very nice, but lacks the dynamics of a sedan.

In terms of the sport package, I could have gone either way. I found the ride firmness with the sport pkg to be similar than the non-sport. To me the downside of the sport suspension was the busy ride (small constant impacts) which was probable attributable to the runflats and the streets I drive. I also prefered not having AS. I valet park fairly often and it would only be a matter of time before my wheels (or worst) would get scuffed. If I was able to wait for a 2006, I probably would have gotten the sport suspension (no AS) and replaced the runflats.
Maybe the next time around...
Old 02-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Members

Without a doubt, Sport is the way to go, especially if you are already going with the V8. Put another way, I doubt that you would ever regret the decision to get the Sport package, but I would bet that you would ultimately regret not getting it.

Let's face it, every time you tell someone that you bought the 545, they are then going to ask if you it's a Sport. You are going to get tired of explaining your decision.

Good luck!

By the way, I just picked up my 545i Sport on Friday. I am completely in love with it.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, 545i Sport !
Old 02-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

Just drive it. Comming from an M3, I needed a 4 door sedan so I amost went for a 330I performance package. the General Manager (friend of my friend) asked me to drive his demo E60 sport. I thought it was going to drive like my dads 528I..WOW what a difference, the car felt like it was in rails.. later on I was taking delivery of the car. But the curious thing was the active steering, it takes some time to get used to i. I was a bit nervous driving back to my house at night at @80mph.. it did not feel at all as the M3. Anyway, the suspension feel soft enought but the handling it is amazing!!.

One more thought, I saw the other day an E60 non-sport making a long right beating the light, and was able to see how much the car and the DRIVER were leaning with a bit if tire screetching...

The sport it is the way to go. Replace the runflats with regular tires and the ride gets smoother. I changed my stock 18s run flats with 19s non runflats and the ride if not smoother it is the same... now i wish I have a V8.. <_<
Old 02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

[quote name='StevenFW' date='Mar 8 2004, 10:30 AM']I am planning to lease the 545 in the next few months and have decided on just about everything except the sports package...I just test drove the 545 with sports and was generally impressed (I had already test driven the 545 without sport package) but I was somewhat concerned with the ride quality...somewhat jittery, possibly secondary to the sports suspension vs. the run flat tires...furthermore, I live in New Jersey and will be driving to NYC and in snow....I already know that no matter what, snow tires are mandatory...but I am concerned about ride quality for most of the year on the run flats...I really want the active steering and roll stabilization...is it worth the sacrifice? I guess what I am really asking is:

1. Is the ride quality secondary to the run flats vs. sport suspension or both?

2. Is the sacrifice worth it for the active steering and roll stabilization?

3. Moreover, if I get the sports package, am I at considerable risk for tire/suspension damage as warned in the BMW ads themselves by driving on potholed NYC/NJ roads?

4. Still moreover, and somewhat off post, should I be at all thinking about an X5 living in New Jersey with the current winter of frequent snow? I do of course want a sedan much more than an SUV for too many reasons to enumerate, but I am concerned about getting around in the snow...so many people here have 4 or AWD...

================================================== ===

Hi StevenFW

I am no BMW expert by no means, I am new at the Bimmer game, but I am getting well educated now days on 18inch BMW Replica Parallel M wheels that I purchased from: "THE WHEEL EXCHANGE" . (Next time I will go ahead and buy only: Factory OEMs, Not Replicas!!!, although mine are about straighten out now, but only after I had SONAR wheel balanced by a locate BMW import shop at my expense $$$$, Now one of my NEW Replicas was sent to me wrong by "THE WHEEL EXCHANGE" that I have been trying to get exchanged for one BMW Replica Parallel M wheel that matches my other three that I bought also from "THE WHEEL EXCHANGE").

? ? I have a BMW Mechanic buddy, and back when I purchased my new 04 530i, I did not buy the sport package, reason is because I live in GA, and everyone I talk with says it is hard to keep these Sport Packages aligned properly with the "near flat" Active steering and typically you will wear out tires every 10,000 to 14,000 miles if not kept align, (which could run into a small fortune $$$), and our GA interstates are always under construction seems like, and? with uneven payments while the DOT is resurfacing the lanes, and I am told that those little bumps caused by un even payments as we drive over them at 40-55 mph, are just enough to require more wheel alignments than the BMWs without the sport package BMW active steering,

? ? So I thought I would be smart and save some $$$ and just purchased the premium package on mine, and buy the 18inch wheel and tires later, (Now don't get me wrong I think BMW sport package is awesome and well worth the money, but it does requires a little more maintenance? for this HP package aligned properly).

? ? If I had the extra cash, I now would have bought the sport package on my 530i if nothing else for the 18inch wheels, and resale value, but that is hind sight!

Oh Yea I have some BMW friends who hate their run flats because the of stiff ride. (I always wanted to try them until I heard all the bad stuff about them).

I wish you the best on your new BMW 545i!

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley