Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport Package-- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About two-three months ago I test drove a 530 and 540 with the Active Steering, and was pretty disappointed in it- I thought it worked fine at low speeds, but at highway speeds there was too much play in the wheel, and I felt disconnected from the road. Since I was going to get an '05 545 Manual I was pretty much stuck with AS....

I picked up my car from the dealer in LA yesterday and drove it back to Phoenix, and once I got out on I-10 (and out of traffic- was practically past San EFing Bernadino before I could get into 4th gear!!) I was HUGELY SURPRISED by how great the steering felt- I don't know what BMW did (could it really be just a software upgrade??) but the car was rock solid at 80 mph (can't wait to get past the break-in period!), road feel was excellent, and there was no play in the steering at center. It felt even better and quicker than my '02 540. I have to say I am pretty sold on AS now.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Mar 13 2005, 07:25 AM
About two-three months ago I test drove a 530 and 540 with the Active Steering, and was pretty disappointed in it- I thought it worked fine at low speeds, but at highway speeds there was too much play in the wheel, and I felt disconnected from the road. Since I was going to get an '05 545 Manual I was pretty much stuck with AS....

I picked up my car from the dealer in LA yesterday and drove it back to Phoenix, and once I got out on I-10 (and out of traffic- was practically past San EFing Bernadino before I could get into 4th gear!!) I was HUGELY SURPRISED by how great the steering felt- I don't know what BMW did (could it really be just a software upgrade??) but the car was rock solid at 80 mph (can't wait to get past the break-in period!), road feel was excellent, and there was no play in the steering at center. It felt even better and quicker than my '02 540. I have to say I am pretty sold on AS now.
[snapback]100891[/snapback]
I am glad someone can truly appreciate the change. BMW did fix the AS with a software update. AS is no longer noticeable until you get into a car without it. Then you will miss its convenience. As for ARS (Dynamic Drive) for non US spec. It's absolutely superb. That fact that it flattens the car during sprited driving is genius. Now, I do not take my E60 on the track and even if I did, I would not want my every day luxury sports sedan set up for optimal racing conditions, so those that complain that AS and ARS take a way from the feel of the car should get a Subaru or if they can afford it an M5.

To say that they took these optons out in the M5 so they must have been bad is ridiculous. These are two different cars. The M5 rides harder, has a distinctve growl and frankly is less comfortable as an every day driver.

You see, my goal when purchasing my sedan was to get the smoothest, most comfortable, best riding, most poweful and best handling manual transmission car in the world.

The best riding and smoothest criteria ruled out the E39 M5. The best riding and manual transmission might rule out the E60 M5.

For me the sports package with ARS is a must. I don't want my backside bruised in the straight so my car can take a corner. I prefer this combination.

The only thing I will add to my options with my next 550i will be comfort seats.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I gave this problem as much thought as you seem to be doing, I was very sceptical of active steering, but I'm very happy that I went with it. Like many others have already mentioned, BMW has improved AS with software upgrades. This car puts a smile on my face everyday, Sport Package is well worth the money IMO. Good Luck..
Old 03-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading
Originally Posted by jochet' date='Mar 13 2005, 03:47 PM
I gave this problem as much thought as you seem to be doing, I was very sceptical of active steering, but I'm very happy that I went with it. Like many others have already mentioned, BMW has improved AS with software upgrades. This car puts a smile on my face everyday, Sport Package is well worth the money IMO. Good Luck..
[snapback]100960[/snapback]

I think the sports package is got value and makes the beast look fantastic and sticks to the road like sh.. on a shovel the front spoiler looks mean and more sports like the twin spoke wheels look great the rear has a more M 5 look also the side ceils give it a lower to the ground look all in all purchasing a 535d sport save you adding to it later.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Mar 13 2005, 04:20 PM
[quote name='jochet' date='Mar 13 2005, 03:47 PM']I gave this problem as much thought as you seem to be doing, I was very sceptical of active steering, but I'm very happy that I went with it. Like many others have already mentioned, BMW has improved AS with software upgrades. This car puts a smile on my face everyday, Sport Package is well worth the money IMO. Good Luck..
[snapback]100960[/snapback]

I think the sports package is got value and makes the beast look fantastic and sticks to the road like sh.. on a shovel the front spoiler looks mean and more sports like the twin spoke wheels look great the rear has a more M 5 look also the side ceils give it a lower to the ground look all in all purchasing a 535d sport save you adding to it later.
[snapback]100965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Johno, Our American friends don't get the same Sport Package as we do yet! Their's comprises of Dynamic Drive, Active Steering and Sports Suspension on the SE. And at a fraction of the price in the UK. The American Dream eh more like The Bloody Reality!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Sport Package is a must have option. I like Active Steering a lot. I can understand that if run your car on a track, that ActiveSteering may not be desirable. The Sport Package is awesome, including Active Steering. It makes the car and is a great value.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Once again, thanks for the input... at a minimum, I now know to make sure I get a model with the software upgrade on the active steering. Now to decide whether to go for a deal on an '05, wait for an '06 model or "fork-out" (even more) for the 545....decisions, decisions...

The more I read the various threads on the E60 forum, the more I think the 545 is a better value. We recently bought an '05 Acura TL as a commuting car, and it would be frustrating to spend almost $20K more for a BMW which, even though it would handle better, would be a (gulp) slower car. I still need to do a gut check on the price tag of the 545.

I'm glad that I'm not hearing a lot of reliability complaints on this site about the E60s. We had a Mercedes M Class which we just returned last month under threat of filing a lemon law claim. What a hunk of sh** that car was. Constantly in the shop, often with mysterious problems that couldn't be diagnosed. They repurchased the car from us and offered to sell us anything we wanted at dealer cost, but I've had enough of Mercedes low quality. We're hoping for a better experience with BMW.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 13 2005, 09:12 PM
Once again, thanks for the input... at a minimum, I now know to make sure I get a model with the software upgrade on the active steering.? ? Now to decide whether to go for a deal on an '05, wait for an '06 model or "fork-out" (even more) for the 545....decisions, decisions...?

The more I read the various threads on the E60 forum, the more I think the 545 is a better value.? We recently bought an '05 Acura TL as a commuting car, and it would be frustrating to spend almost $20K more for a BMW which, even though it would handle better, would be a (gulp) slower car.? I still need to do a gut check on the price tag of the 545.?

I'm glad that I'm not hearing a lot of reliability complaints on this site about the E60s.? We had a Mercedes M Class which we just returned last month under threat of filing a lemon law claim.? What a hunk of sh** that car was.? Constantly in the shop, often with mysterious problems that couldn't be diagnosed.? ? They repurchased the car from us and offered to sell us anything we wanted at dealer cost, but I've had enough of Mercedes low quality.? We're hoping for a better experience with BMW.
[snapback]101123[/snapback]
Good choice getting rid of the ML. I think its the worse Mercedes out there!!!

And good luck chosing the MY05 530 MY06 530 or MY05 545. Heres a hint. go with the 45.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 13 2005, 09:34 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 13 2005, 09:12 PM']Once again, thanks for the input... at a minimum, I now know to make sure I get a model with the software upgrade on the active steering.? ? Now to decide whether to go for a deal on an '05, wait for an '06 model or "fork-out" (even more) for the 545....decisions, decisions...??

The more I read the various threads on the E60 forum, the more I think the 545 is a better value.? We recently bought an '05 Acura TL as a commuting car, and it would be frustrating to spend almost $20K more for a BMW which, even though it would handle better, would be a (gulp) slower car.?? I still need to do a gut check on the price tag of the 545.?

I'm glad that I'm not hearing a lot of reliability complaints on this site about the E60s.? We had a Mercedes M Class which we just returned last month under threat of filing a lemon law claim.? What a hunk of sh** that car was.?? Constantly in the shop, often with mysterious problems that couldn't be diagnosed.? ? They repurchased the car from us and offered to sell us anything we wanted at dealer cost, but I've had enough of Mercedes low quality.?? We're hoping for a better experience with BMW.
[snapback]101123[/snapback]
Good choice getting rid of the ML. I think its the worse Mercedes out there!!!

And good luck chosing the MY05 530 MY06 530 or MY05 545. Heres a hint. go with the 45.
[snapback]101135[/snapback]
[/quote]

Could you put a word in with my wife?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 13 2005, 09:50 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Mar 13 2005, 09:34 PM'][Heres a hint. go with the 45.? ?
[snapback]101135[/snapback]

Could you put a word in with my wife?
[snapback]101150[/snapback]
[/quote]

SURE! Dear Mrs. ZinMe... you cant go wrong with the BMW 545. Please tell you husband to get that. Its for his own good.

Quick Reply: Sport Package-- Worth it?