Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport Package-- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[

I am about to perchase a 535d With M5 styling have you got any comments
[snapback]100646[/snapback]
[/quote]

In UK - 535 diesel is the best 5. We don't have it in US

Great torque + fuel economy.. with the price of gas in UK you can't go wrong - great car.

I drove 530D in Germany for about 2 weeks - loved it (no sport package). can cruise at 150MPH all day long - go for it
Old 03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Everyone-- thanks for the comments. What a board this is!!! I'll keep you posted on the test drives and decision process.

My sincere thanks!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, ZinMe !
Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Mar 12 2005, 05:37 PM
Must get it. I have lost a lot of repect for the writers of some of these car magazines. Its a bit hacky to condem idrive, runflats, active steering, active suspension and SMG because they are different. The writers appear to need to find fault without discussing virtues.
[snapback]100616[/snapback]
Agreed -- I have never had any respect for the windbags who write for the auto rags.

If you are still not convinced on active steering, active suspension, etc., just take a look at the new Lexus GS -- it has the Lexus "copycat" version of all of these (no iDrive yet, but Infinitis, Audis and Mercedes have an iDrive clone). I just read a review of the new GS and, of course, the same windbags who trash BMW love the Lexus "copycat" versions of the features.

Judge for yourself -- BMW's competitors are not "reacting" the bad press generated by these windbags; instead, they are liberally copying the new features and innovations introduced by market leading BMW.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ilyam5' date='Mar 12 2005, 05:09 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 12 2005, 01:14 PM']I'm about to purchase a 530i in the US and just read a Car & Driver review of the active steering feature which is standard on the sport package.?? They trashed it.?? I take everything I read with a grain of salt, however.?? Any E60 owners who could comment on this feature, I would really appreciate it.?? I would like other aspects of the sport package, such as the bigger wheels/tires and the active roll stabalization, but the steering sounds creepy from this one review I've read.??

Is there a way to get the active roll stabalization and wheels/tire upgrade without getting the active steering feature?

Recommendations????
[snapback]100534[/snapback]
Try it both ways and decide for yourself... but here is my take...

Sport package gives you
Sports seats
Active roll stabilization
Active steering
Shadowline trim

I prefer comfort seats - they are the best (much better than sport)/ You can fold the back in th middle and you can adjust the bolsters - sport seats don't do that. So if you pay for comfort seats - you are wasting maney in the sport packege paying for sports seats.

Active roll stabilization - not bad. The car rolls less in the turns - more comfortable for the passangers but very treaky for the driver. The car doesn't communicate very well when it reaches the limit in the turns it jsut loads, loads and snaps. I drive on the tracks a lot (40+ events a year. not 545 and my other cars are e46 M3 and e39 M5 that don't have the feature - they are much more predictable and communicate buitifully. I drove 545 withpout sport rcently and liked the suspension more.

Active steering - again idea is Ok , but the execution is questionable. Software that controlls it has to be reworked. I wish it was a switchable option. My wifr likes i since he doesn't break her nails parking now - no need to turn the wheel so hard
Now for drawbacks
It has no feel in the center, it doesbn't load progressively in the turns - so again no communication to the driver. It is also not linear in the execution. If you go into a turn at 100+ and break hard (or trail break) to make 30 mph corner the wheel ratio will change on you mid corner and will upset the car - not cool. Car also countersteers for you - very freaky. Cross winds make the car wander all over the road since AS tries to compensate. If you are on the very wet road or very slick surface (snow - read my other posts) - AS is way to overboosted to prpelrly slide the car.( you tend to overcorrect all the time). I got used to it after 5 months.. but sometimes it still surprises me (oh and it breaks occationally - then you have the beauitiful BMW rack and opinion steering

Shadow line trim - love that. Hate the chrome. But it's not worth 3300 dollars

To me it- not a sport package - it's a gizmo package - and the car already has enogh of those. If it's sport how come M5 won't have any of the above features?

So if I had to do it again - it will be 550 with no sport package.

As for your 530 choice - is it 06 or 05? If 06 - you'll get better engine but probably will pay more in lease. Car is heavy and more limo like (vs e39) so it needs torque. Look into 05 545 - great delas on them now since 550 is out in September. Plus march residuals are huge if you lease.. My brother in law just got 750 a mont for a loaded 545 (see link)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89893
[snapback]100630[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow, 59% residual on the 545 after 36 mo/45,000 miles. That's one of the highest of all the bimmer models. Sounds like a great deal.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Shadow line trim - love that. Hate the chrome. But it's not worth 3300 dollars

I would. I can't freakin' stand the chrome trim. I would buy the sports package just for the shadowline trim. Luck for me, I get lots more with it.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Had it on my E36 325i, and would have never considered without it!
Old 03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Not worth it with the 530I in my personal opinion. I own a 2004 530I and 2005 545I, both with Premium/Sport package. The 530i is lack of power so i rather had purchased it without the sport package, so i can atleast drive it more comfortable. Paying $3000 extra, other that the sport suspension and the black door trim, the wheel looks bad (similar as on the old 325I Sport package).
Old 03-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

If you have some extra money, invest on the Premium Sound system and buy a nice set of wheel for your 530I.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 05

Sport Package is a must have Active steering and Active roll stabalization are a must have IMO

Quick Reply: Sport Package-- Worth it?