Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Service recommdations - necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Thanks for the advice Guys! Don't know why the oil service is so expense at BMW? I know they use Synthetic, but that's still overly expensive. I could probably do the oil myself, but it's really cold out there and I've got no space in my garage. I also don't know a good mechanic in this area.

Quick question - maybe unrelated. For those of you that do your own oil, brake service, etc, have you ever run into issues with BMW when it comes to warranty work? When I purchased my car, the dealer pointed out the fine-print in my warranty paperwork that said something along the lines of, for the full warranty to be valid, BMW must conduct regular vehicle inspections which will happen during BMW's maintenance schedule. In other words, they will inspect the car at every service interval and that continues to validate the warranty. If I get service conducted outside of a BMW dealership, I am expected to pay for a full BMW inspection, maybe on a yearly basis, so that my warranty remains valid... I thought that was simply another tactic and legal loophole for BMW to refuse warranty work. Just wondering if any of you have run into challenges with this?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

FYI

The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory-recommended maintenance, on applicable and eligible new BMW vehicles, for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Covered factory-recommended maintenance is determined by the model specific BMW Maintenance System (Service Interval Display or Condition Based Service) and required vehicle inspections. All work must be performed by an authorized BMW center in the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

BMW Maintenance Program:
We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:
* Engine Oil Services: $0
* Inspection Services: $0
* Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
* Brake Pads: $0
* Brake Discs: $0
* Engine Drive Belts: $0
* Brake Fluid Service: $0
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Dude i dont know if i got lucky or if they screwed up with my warranty but i bought a used 2004 530i and every time i have gone in for an oil change i pay $0. They even replaced my brake pads brake fluid windshield wipers, weather stripping and a head gasket they said looked like it was leaking all for free. I have 61,024 miles on it and get no hassel when i go in for service.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Just to clarify, i got curious and looked at my paper work, and it turns out that when i purchased my car it has an extended warranty up to 100k miles! I guess i lucked out!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='812469' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:14 PM
Dude i dont know if i got lucky or if they screwed up with my warranty but i bought a used 2004 530i and every time i have gone in for an oil change i pay $0. They even replaced my brake pads brake fluid windshield wipers, weather stripping and a head gasket they said looked like it was leaking all for free. I have 61,024 miles on it and get no hassel when i go in for service.
Wow! That's great! I wouldn't ask questions - just enjoy the perks!

I wonder if you have the BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade. It basically gives you an additional 2 years / 50,000 miles of free maintenance. That might have been an upgrade that the original owner purchased. Either that, or someone screwed up and flagged your account for the upgrade by mistake. Either way, it's good news for you!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='812474' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:17 PM
Just to clarify, i got curious and looked at my paper work, and it turns out that when i purchased my car it has an extended warranty up to 100k miles! I guess i lucked out!
I responded before reading your 2nd comment. Wow, it's awesome to discover that you had the extended coverage and didn't even know it! Good for you!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

That's not a bad price for all that. $500 is a fair price. You might save $100 on a DIY oil change but then you have to deal with the mess and disposal.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i

Just to clarify, CPO only includes extended warranty, not extended maintenance correct?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jzcrna' post='812509' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:45 PM
Just to clarify, CPO only includes extended warranty, not extended maintenance correct?
In Canada, that is correct. Unless the original owner purchased an upgrade for extended maintenance. Not sure if US is different.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Silver_545i' post='812342' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:24 AM
Hey Guys, as I mentioned yesterday, my '05 545i is sitting at the dealership for a scheduled oil change. My mileage is 79,988 km's (49,702 miles) and I essentially loose the factory warranty and start my CPO today. Therefore, I asked them to comb the car over to see if there are any other concerns that should be addressed.

I specifically asked them to research a small whistling noise and found that to be a worn out pulley, which will be fixed under warranty at no cost to me. Outside of that, the car is great - with exception to their service recommendations which I need your advice on.

Since my car is an '05 with approx 80,000 km's, they are asking me to do the following recommended maintenance:
1. rear differential fluid - $94 (apparently, the fluid is a little dark but that's supposed to be normal due to my mileage?)
2. flushing the cooling system, including all the lines and the cooling jacket - $137
3. fuel injector flush - $98
4. oil change - $161
TOTAL before tax: approx $500.00 ($565.00 with tax!)

So, outside of the oil service, all of the above is their recommendation and is optional. Obviously not covered under warranty since it's maintenance work. But my friend who is the shop foreman said I should seriously consider doing all the work due to my mileage and age of car. I was not expecting to spend $565 today. They are waiting for me to confirm if I want this service done. What do you guys think / suggest?

I appreciate all your comments & thanks for your support!
I think these are some great prices. If you want to keep the car for a while, and hopefully a long while....

1. Good idea to do this and at this price. - YES
2. Yes, good idea and good price.
3. Although not necessarily needed at your miles, not a bad idea and again the price is good.
4. I buy the oil from Costco, filter from Online places, and have an independent facility do the oil change for me for about $10-$15 with my parts. Average total - about $70-$80 every 7000 miles.

Enjoy your ride.

Quick Reply: Service recommdations - necessary?