Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Second Thoughts... should I be getting a 330i or my ordered 530i?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm pretty sure the 5 and 3 are actually pretty close in terms of weight - the E90 does not benefit from many of the weight saving techniques the E60 gains through the use of aluminum etc. With the same engine and similar weight I think performance will be pretty close. I don't think you'll go wrong either way but if it were me I'd definitely take the five
Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jk479' post='221695' date='Jan 9 2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies thus far...

There are days when I feel like the 330i is cramped. I am a 6 footer, and sometimes the seat just can't be back far enough. I agree with everyone thus far about tryign something different. I am keeping the same color, I must be a creature of habit. I am opting for the sport pack, because i skimped the last time.

I was most concerned with the acceleration of 6.4 seconds, but everyone seems to think it's a good performer, not 550 performance, but decent.

I am not one flounder when it comes to decisions, but after such a long wait, I sort of just got cold feet. I have not even sat in the 5 for over 2 months, maybe when i see the car sittign all shiny, my answer will come to me...for now, I will just read people's views, as I fidn this site is not biased with the 330i vs 530i debate, as many of you were in my shoes not to long ago.
For what it's worth, word is that BMW will launch a 335i sometime midyear 2006.

I can't really give you any advice you haven't heard already. I would just say drive both cars, walk around them, and buy the one you like the most. Don't worry about the performance numbers, or what people say you should or need to get.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' post='221696' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:04 PM
At the risk of being torched...

I feel the 5 series is a more mature car. Also, I will quote my wife from this past weekend - "That dude thinks he's so cool in his 3 series, how does he not know that's a chick car!"
If you don't have kids and look for something sporty, get the 3 series. But only the touring one. I don't like the 3 sedan. 5 series sedan is the only one i like!
3 series handles better and has better performance.

If you are looking for comfort and/or have more than 3 kids, go for the 5 series! (or if you have some self-estime problem )
Besides the 160 extra there is the extra cost of everything (fuel, etc).

Bottom line get what ever you want!! Ask your wife/girlfriend her opinion!

(what is the price of the M3? )
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Here is my 2 cents worth in the form of a pros list. Of course in asking a 5 series site, you are going to get a biased opinon.

530:

better ride and nicer to drive on the freeway and long distances (longer wheel base - better ride, not quit as quick in the turns).
Still a great handling and accelerating car, but it excels on the luxury feel and image
Room of course, the 5er can easily fit 4 large people in comfort. I spend 95% of the time in the car myself and love the sport feel. But in the mornings when I drop off the kids, having a little more room for them is nice. It also allows me to do family things in comfort without taking the SUV.
larger trunk

330:
quicker and more sporty
You can still fit people in the back, but if you are tall like me, putting the seat forward is not an option.

Also, you could probably get more opinons by answering the following:

- daily drive/comute (miles, traffic...)
- family size
- trips and activities
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I pondered this same question before I bought my 530, but after spending a day with a 330i loaner last week, I like the 530 a lot better. The 530 is quieter, more substantial feeling and at the end of the day it handles just as well and it is plenty quick. Plus, I owned the 3 e46's ('99 323i, '01 330i, '03 M3 Conv) before the 530, I'm 42 with kids, and it was just time to move up, and on already.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550, premium, sport, nav, bluetooth, satellite, cold, M5/Mtech front bumper and side skirts, matte black kidney grilles, M5 fender grilles, M5 mirrors, euro stickers, 35% tint, 20" Miro 111s (summer), 18" VMR VB3s w/ 10 mm H&R spacers (winter)

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='221728' date='Jan 9 2006, 06:06 PM
I pondered this same question before I bought my 530, but after spending a day with a 330i loaner last week, I like the 530 a lot better. The 530 is quieter, more substantial feeling and at the end of the day it handles just as well and it is plenty quick. Plus, I owned the 3 e46's ('99 323i, '01 330i, '03 M3 Conv) before the 530, I'm 42 with kids, and it was just time to move up, and on already.
I agree with Silver. My only experience with a 3-series is when I had one as a loaner last week. It was pretty loaded but just wasn't the same as the 5-er.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

The 3 is going to be more fun.
The 5 is going to be bigger.

These are the facts - now it is up to you to decide.

of note, I always leased because of the write-off. However, I just had my accountant run the numbers for me and it turns out that purchasing is CHEAPER over the three years! I won't get the full deduction until the 3rd year when I get rid of the car, but overall, I will spend less.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

I really understand your situation. It is a tough choice. The 5 Series has more room, handles great, has power; but, the 330i is flat out cool! I think the 330i is the sportiest looking car in the BMW lineup. It is a true sports sedan. And, you get a loaded 330i for about $14,000 less than a comparable loaded 530i, not exactly chump change. Plus, the real life resale value of the 330i is better than the 530i. So, it is a very tough decision.

I am not sure about the ride quality of the 330i. I have not been in one on a long trip, so I cannot give you any information. I like a sporty ride, but I also like a luxury ride. I sure as heck do not want to feel every bump and pothole, and hear a lot of wind noise. Maybe, some others can shed some honest light on these issues. The 2006 3 Series sure has been winning all the sport/luxury sedan shootouts and awards.

I think you need to go sit in the 330i again and see how it feels to you, then sit in the 530 and see what you think. Sometimes cars can surprise you in terms of interior room. Also, the 2006 3 Series is bigger than the previous 3 Series. One other thing to consider is that you mentioned your 330i did not have Navigation. If you go the 3 route, I would get one with Navigation, because you get all the voice activation features.

You have a tough decision, but fun decision.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Members

of note, I always leased because of the write-off. However, I just had my accountant run the numbers for me and it turns out that purchasing is CHEAPER over the three years! I won't get the full deduction until the 3rd year when I get rid of the car, but overall, I will spend less.
[/quote]

He's right...in most cases it is less expensive to to purchase the car outright if you have the cash (even when you write off your lease payments).
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Here's my thought. After driving both E90 and E60, I like the E60 better because in an E60 you can drive it slowly if you wanted to but in case of sudden ugre to push the car, the E60 will step up to the challenge whereas the E90 is a car that you need to drive hard all the time, you couldn't really enjoy it driving slow. The E60 is also better build than the E90 as it is quiter overall. Plus the Idrive is standard on the 5, I am surprise no one mentioned anything about the Idrive, I guess I am the only one here that love that little screen in the middle.

Quick Reply: Second Thoughts... should I be getting a 330i or my ordered 530i?...