Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Second Thoughts... should I be getting a 330i or my ordered 530i?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi All,

Some of you might remember me, about 3 months ago, I was here debating whether or not to get a 5 series. Back in September, I ordered a 5 Series, and when it came in, it was missing an option, so instead of takign delivery, I went an ordered the car again.

Well just got word, it's in town, and I can take delivery.

Only...I am wondering if I still want the car. Or if I belong in a 3 series. Okay, I am sure some of you are going to tell me to take a hike, or that it's a personal decision, but I am really hard pressed which car I should be leasing.

First I will give you the specs on the 530i 6 speed manual, Premium package, Prem Sound, Sport Package, Cold weather, Navigation, Sirius. Pretty much loaded up for an msrp of around 56,000. Payment will be 750 per month, zero down.

Possible 330i 6 speed, premuim, sport, sirius dealer installed, cold weather, NO NAV. 42,000 mspp. Payment 570 per month zero down.

I curently have a 3 series, and thought a 5 might be a nice change. Now I am wonderign if I shouldn't just take the three and wait on the 5. I admit, the 5 has a 6 cd changer, heated steeringwheel, the NAV, and other enhancements the 3 never will possess. They both have the 3.0 liter engine with 255 horse. I was wondering if the 5 will be as quick as the 3. the 550i is out of the question for leasing. too expensive. I also want to lease, as it's a write off. So... I think I just have cold feet, as I have wanted and waited so long for this car, maybe I am making more fuss than is needed.

I am coming from a 330i, and just worry I will miss the nimble feeling of the 3. Any 530i owners out there with advice. For 160 bucks a month, is it worth the jump up to the next level in BMW perfection? I admire the looks of both cars... with a nod to the 5 as it looks more special.

I have until Wednesday to make my decision, but I feel confident a couple of folks here can persuade me to take the plunge with the new 5. PS...is the 3.0 255 hp engine sufficient in this car?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

what do you want to hear
in this case it is all about the size. So perhaps answer those questions:
do you have a family? is this the only family car? how many people drive the car at a time? long trips/short trips? how tall are you?
in your case where both cars have the same engine and are very well equipped it is really just about the size. 330i is actually even more sporty looking and handles a little better.

and yes 255bhp is very vey sufficient for 5er..... very low gas mileage and it goes and sounds great.
If you're not planning on drag racing you will be flying waaay fast
Old 01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by jk479' post='221645' date='Jan 9 2006, 03:46 PM
PS...is the 3.0 255 hp engine sufficient in this car?
Yes, 0-60mph around 6.5 sec is fast enough by most standards.

The biggest difference between the 5 vs. 3 is the size. Is that important to you?
Many ppl buy a 5 over a 3 because they want something sporty, but "need" the larger size. Do you "need" the size?

I would say that the 5 w/ the Sport Package can be just as nimble as the 3 w/ Sport Package. But the thing is, the 5 won't FEEL as nimble as the 3. Because of ARS, the 5 will feel smoother and more comfortable, you'll think there's no way this thing car be that nimble, yet its limits are very high. You have to get used to it, whereas the 3 feels more natural to be driven hard. When I first got my 545 Sport, other owners were trying to tell me I could drive it as hard as an M3 or Z4 around the corners. I thought they were crazy, because ARS feels so comfortable. But now I'm more used to it and I agree with them.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

5 series. I had a 3 series - nice car, but the 5er is a better car. You won't regret it.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

530 will not be as nimble as 330. It's a bigger car. That's a fact. On the other hand, you get much nicer ride. If you don't care about ride and only want nimble feeling, stick with 3 series.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I think you should try something different, I don't like to buy the same car over and over again. You already drive a 3 series, why buy another one. You should try different cars like an e60 or even other brand.

I used to drive a MB, I was debating between E class and e60, but I want something different, that's why I decided to buy an e60. I think I made a great decision.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Well, the NEXT time you face this decision, you'll have a more valuable (at least as a percentage of MSRP) trade if you revert to the 3. :'(

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jk479' post='221645' date='Jan 9 2006, 03:46 PM
Hi All,

Some of you might remember me, about 3 months ago, I was here debating whether or not to get a 5 series. Back in September, I ordered a 5 Series, and when it came in, it was missing an option, so instead of takign delivery, I went an ordered the car again.

Well just got word, it's in town, and I can take delivery.

Only...I am wondering if I still want the car. Or if I belong in a 3 series. Okay, I am sure some of you are going to tell me to take a hike, or that it's a personal decision, but I am really hard pressed which car I should be leasing.

First I will give you the specs on the 530i 6 speed manual, Premium package, Prem Sound, Sport Package, Cold weather, Navigation, Sirius. Pretty much loaded up for an msrp of around 56,000. Payment will be 750 per month, zero down.

Possible 330i 6 speed, premuim, sport, sirius dealer installed, cold weather, NO NAV. 42,000 mspp. Payment 570 per month zero down.

I curently have a 3 series, and thought a 5 might be a nice change. Now I am wonderign if I shouldn't just take the three and wait on the 5. I admit, the 5 has a 6 cd changer, heated steeringwheel, the NAV, and other enhancements the 3 never will possess. They both have the 3.0 liter engine with 255 horse. I was wondering if the 5 will be as quick as the 3. the 550i is out of the question for leasing. too expensive. I also want to lease, as it's a write off. So... I think I just have cold feet, as I have wanted and waited so long for this car, maybe I am making more fuss than is needed.

I am coming from a 330i, and just worry I will miss the nimble feeling of the 3. Any 530i owners out there with advice. For 160 bucks a month, is it worth the jump up to the next level in BMW perfection? I admire the looks of both cars... with a nod to the 5 as it looks more special.

I have until Wednesday to make my decision, but I feel confident a couple of folks here can persuade me to take the plunge with the new 5. PS...is the 3.0 255 hp engine sufficient in this car?
IMO, the 5er's are better looking than 3er's. I don't know anything about the relative performance of the two cars you are interested in, but assuming that the 5er is better in a straight line than the 3er, you think the former is better looking, and you could do with more room regardless on the number in your family, then, IMO, the 5er is worth an extra $160 per mo.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Thanks for all the replies thus far...

There are days when I feel like the 330i is cramped. I am a 6 footer, and sometimes the seat just can't be back far enough. I agree with everyone thus far about tryign something different. I am keeping the same color, I must be a creature of habit. I am opting for the sport pack, because i skimped the last time.

I was most concerned with the acceleration of 6.4 seconds, but everyone seems to think it's a good performer, not 550 performance, but decent.

I am not one flounder when it comes to decisions, but after such a long wait, I sort of just got cold feet. I have not even sat in the 5 for over 2 months, maybe when i see the car sittign all shiny, my answer will come to me...for now, I will just read people's views, as I fidn this site is not biased with the 330i vs 530i debate, as many of you were in my shoes not to long ago.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributors

At the risk of being torched...

I feel the 5 series is a more mature car. Also, I will quote my wife from this past weekend - "That dude thinks he's so cool in his 3 series, how does he not know that's a chick car!"

Quick Reply: Second Thoughts... should I be getting a 330i or my ordered 530i?...