Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Question about Mod (i.e Wheels) and Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I currently drive 528 with original 17" wheels from bmw. I plan change my original wheels to aftermarket wheels (M6 Replica from Modbargains), however, I have no experience in modding. I have been driving for more than 13 years and have never done any mod before not even changing the wheels.

My questions are:

1. Will I void my warranty if I install these wheels? I was told that if there is something wrong with your car (brake, alignment, and etc), BMW dealership may blame on the wheels because they are aftermarket wheels. FYI, this car is finance not lease...if that makes any difference.
2. I also have heard from others saying that using and installing aftermarket wheels does not void your oem wheels factory warranty. If this is true, let say I bring my car in to the any BMW dealership and have them replace the tires. Will they be able to replace them without any complaint and problem?
3. How are the quality, performance, safety of these aftermarket wheels (M6 Replica from Modbargains)?
4. What are some of the recommended tires that I should be using if I decide to replace my original BMW's wheels.
5. As you may know we can check to see whether the tires are working properly in the iDrive. Now, if I replace the original wheels with aftermarket wheels, will this option still function properly?
6. I live in Southern California (Los Angeles), does anyone know any reputable local auto shop that can install aftermarket.

Thank you,

Nate
Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Contributors

question 1: just re-install you old 17" setup before going to maintanance. That way you dont get any hassle about ur new wheels.

for question 2, bmw can give you a hard time about it.your replacing ur 17" with 19". meaning more expensive tires thus i doubt they ll change them for you, unless you buy aftermarket 17s which is nonsense cause you would've done nothing.

as for the other questions, im sure other members will kindly chime in.

Happy modding and aboard. please post pics, specs
Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Welcome & pls update your location in your profile to reflect #6...

As for #3, I'm on it (Miro 346) and been very happy.
#4, a lot from GE-UHP to Michelin PS2, size is the factor if money is not.
and for #5, if you mean TPM you can either move the sensors from your OEM 17" or get another extra set for the aftermarket wheels.

GL!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

question 1: just re-install you old 17" setup before going to maintenance. That way you dont get any hassle about ur new wheels.
The problem is I do not have any experience with changing wheels either. Is it hard to change them yourself? So anyone who modded their wheels needs to do this too? changing back to OEM before bringing it to the Dealership.

Do you guys have any problem with bringing your car to dealer with the aftermarket wheels.

for question 2, bmw can give you a hard time about it.your replacing ur 17" with 19". meaning more expensive tires thus i doubt they ll change them for you, unless you buy aftermarket 17s which is nonsense cause you would've done nothing.
I see, I always thought that they would charge money when you bring your car in for tires changes so it wouldn't matter whether the wheels is aftermarket. So i assume changing tires is free under warrantee then. In that case, I might have to think twice about replacing aftermarket wheels. Thank you very much for the useful info.

#5, if you mean TPM you can either move the sensors from your OEM 17" or get another extra set for the aftermarket wheels.
Can you tell me where is the sensor locate at?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by altecsonyc' post='639644' date='Aug 4 2008, 07:14 PM
I see, I always thought that they would charge money when you bring your car in for tires changes so it wouldn't matter whether the wheels is aftermarket. So i assume changing tires is free under warrantee then. In that case, I might have to think twice about replacing aftermarket wheels. Thank you very much for the useful info.

Can you tell me where is the sensor locate at?
first, wheels and tires are not covered under wanrrantee unless you have wheel and tire package warrantee in the contract, i think you have to pay extra to get that warrantee.so double check with your dealer. Lets say one of your tires gets a nail in it or a wheel gets bent, the dealer will change them absolutely free, PROVIDED YOU HAVE THE WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGE. AGain Double CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER.

TPMs are usually located on the valve of the tires, you should see a small square written on it TPM (tire pressure monitor), but if you dont have those small squares then you dont have TPM. It depends wht MY (model year) you have. you didnt say wht year is ur car (unless i missed it). some models have TPM and others have s similar feature which calculates the rotation of the wheel. so if u have a flat tire your rotation will be different thus giving you a warning on ur idrive.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='639936' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:39 AM
first, wheels and tires are not covered under wanrrantee unless you have wheel and tire package warrantee in the contract, i think you have to pay extra to get that warrantee.so double check with your dealer. Lets say one of your tires gets a nail in it or a wheel gets bent, the dealer will change them absolutely free, PROVIDED YOU HAVE THE WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGE. AGain Double CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER.

TPMs are usually located on the valve of the tires, you should see a small square written on it TPM (tire pressure monitor), but if you dont have those small squares then you dont have TPM. It depends wht MY (model year) you have. you didnt say wht year is ur car (unless i missed it). some models have TPM and others have s similar feature which calculates the rotation of the wheel. so if u have a flat tire your rotation will be different thus giving you a warning on ur idrive.
Sorry everybody, I am a warranty manager for a large car company-german, any modification to your car will void the warranty of that failure only if it causes the failure. For example, if you have been running the non stocking size tire on your car, and you start noticing a vibration, you take off your non oem tires and rims, and install the oem's back on, they will be able to determine by the wear pattern of the brakes, the way the tie rods or transverse rods have worn. We have the abilty to determine manufacture failure or customer failure all the time. You will not void the warranty if BMW has had a specific model or size that is an BMW item,and is qualified for our style of car. I listen to everybody on this forum discuss this issue, and unfortunately, you are all wrong. I know that sucks, but that is the factories decision. I have a decal on my 530 2006 in the left hand top inside windshield a sticker that validates my answer.

Sorry

Modders beware

Angelodimorte
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

I wouldn't worry! I have Miro 346's (M6 reps) and they've been amazing. Many say they're some of the best reps. around as for looks and performance. I havn't had any vibration or alignment issues what so ever.. and I'm sure others that own them will concur.

I'm sure unless the dealer can prove the aftermarket part caused the damage, your warranty will cover it! Plus you own the car which is an advantage to others that lease, like me! It gives you more leverage if you were to encounter a problem imo.

As for question 5, as others mentioned above, you will need TPM sensors which run around $150-$200 I believe. They have to be installed with your tires.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by angelodimorte' post='640498' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry everybody, I am a warranty manager for a large car company-german, any modification to your car will void the warranty of that failure only if it causes the failure. For example, if you have been running the non stocking size tire on your car, and you start noticing a vibration, you take off your non oem tires and rims, and install the oem's back on, they will be able to determine by the wear pattern of the brakes, the way the tie rods or transverse rods have worn. We have the abilty to determine manufacture failure or customer failure all the time.
Hate to burst your bubble, but youre posting some BS there. No way you can conclusively determine that a non OE size tire was ran on a car by checking the brakes. Thats crazy talk! Even your example of suspension component wear is silly under reasonable situations...say, someone putting on a 255 front as opposed to the stock 245 tire. modding within reason is fine, dont try to scare the kids. If you start putting 40lbs 20" wheels with 300+ tires that rub all over, then yea, you might start exposing yourself to dealer scrutiny. Just plus size properly, dont get crappy wheels, and youll be fine.