Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Purchasing 550i - fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='202863
Always start from invoice and work up, not from MSRP working down! This is a very basic strategy recommended by all car buying info sites.
I've found that this strategy does not work out here in Chicago. The dealers (Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW) don't want to play the "how much above invoice game". They will talk off of MSRP (which really is the same thing in the long run) - worse if you upset them, they just stop dealing with you as Missc280 found out.

This is a regional thing however.
[/quote]

Man, what b*stards.

Here in Northern California the attitude is *slightly* better. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that there are plenty of BMW dealers in the Bay Area, but disclosing invoice on a car and then negotiating how much above invoice is typical. Remember: They need to sell cars, and You don't have to buy one from them.

Sorry to the fellow E60'ers that are experiencing any buying experience grief. I can recommend a good person here in the Bay Area but don't have any contacts in your area.

Best of luck,
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

I did the "over invoice" approach and it worked beautifully. Here was my experience (sorry for the long post):

I went to the local dealer and test drove the car. They didn't have one with the options I wanted so he was going to check to see what he could get. When he priced it with options he told me my cost was MSRP minus the trade-in value (which he was totally low-balling me on). I told him to try to locate the car and I left. It was obvious to me he wasn't going to deal as this local dealer has somewhat of an "elite" (read: non-customer friendly) reputation. I should note that their service department doesn't have the same reputation.

Meanwhile, I contacted 5 other dealers within a 200 mile radius to see what they had in stock. Mostly these were e-mail contacts--- "here's what I'm looking for with these options, do you have anything in stock or on order that matches what I'm looking for"---

The responses were nice and prompt but I quickly found that to get the car I really wanted, I was going to have to order it. When I found out about the Performance Center Delivery on this forum, it made me want to order one that much more anyhow.

So I contacted everyone back and told them that I had researched my car and was ready to buy and I detailed my specs. I told them that I was making a decision in 48 hrs, that I was contacting several dealers, and that if they wanted the opportunity to see me the car, they would have to give me their best price OVER INVOICE as well as a CONFIRMED production week.

I had them give me their out the door price so I would know what they were charging me for MACO, Training fee, Doc, etc. Oh, and I included the M Aero kit WITH installation as part of my specs. (Pricing that out separately I had already found to have huge discrepancies).

I received 5 offers back with as high as $2500 over invoice. The best price I received (and accepted) was $1000 over invoice, with all of the options I wanted including the M Aero kit installed. My car is in production now and I'll receive it just after the New Year.

The dealer has been great---the guy e-mails me all of the time with the updates and has gone out of his way to take care of my order.

If you're willing to spend a little time---and you're willing to buy outside of your local area--- this is a great method. After all, you are spending a huge amount of money on a vehicle, so dealers need to work for your business. I dealt with everyone fairly, was upfront about my approach (so no one was taken by surprise), and e-mailed those that didn't get the business. Those that responded were professional and polite. I think if you treat them nicely and professionally, that (for the most part), you will get that back in return.

I should also note that thanks to this forum, I was an informed buyer going in. Having invoice pricing available and understanding the process is helpful in conversations. I recall referring to the VPC when talking about where the M Aero kit was going to be installed and the guy was surprised I knew what that was. Being informed is a huge advantage. Remember, they are just one dealer. There are plenty of dealers willing to sell you a car. I had one rural dealer tell me that his approach was to go for volume and sell as many cars as he could. When he found out what city I was from, he indicated that he sold and delivered a lot of cars in my city because the local dealer was inflexible. He was right---and he's 120 miles away.

You just have to balance what's more important to you: getting the car you want with the specs you want or getting an E60 now (while being flexible on specs and color)---all while trying to get the best deal.

I have not done ED yet---but will look at that next time. I just couldn't fit it into my schedule this time around But I'm looking forward to VPC delivery.

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='202720
Ok, then he can try +$1,370 if +$1,000 doesn't work.
You mean +$1,800
[/quote]
[$67,129 -.92($67,120)] - $4,000 = $1,269.60,
Old 11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

This has always struck me as very odd.

The 550i we are talking about in this thread is a USD 62K car, yet most folks are willing to spend hours to bargain and dicker to save what? 1k or 2k?

Is it really worth it to go through all the trouble of contacting multiple dealers, going out of state, etc. to pocket an extra $1,000?? Sure, $1,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but when you've already conditioned yourself to spend $60k to anywhere upwards of $70k (out the door price including tax, title, license, etc.), a savings of $1,000 seems rather trivial.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i, arriving March 2006, Black Sapphire, Premium sound, sport, nav, comfort access, active steering 2004 Porsche Turbo, Slate gray, X50, nav, aero kit
Hi 550 Owners:

Here is my deal from Northern California. Spent 6 hours working on the deal

Ordered for Euro Delivery 1/20/06:

550/auto
Balck Sapphire
Prem sound
sport
comfort access
HUD
Sat radio
Sport
Act steering

And Aero kit

Total is 65K: This is 3 K below US wholesale

The Aero kit was $4K installed and what the highest option. It will be added at the Port and professionally installed.

I think this deal went well..

Tej
Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by Tej' post='203007' date='Nov 24 2005, 03:56 PM
Hi 550 Owners:

And Aero kit

The Aero kit was $4K installed and what the highest option. It will be added at the Port and professionally installed.

Tej
Hi Tej,

I *need* to inform you that the price you paid for the /M-Aero kit is way too high.

markt540i gave me the low down on the actual cost of the /M-Aero kit installation at the VDC and I was able to go back to my dealer and kindly share with them the info I had. My sales guy had given me the *RETAIL* cost but agreed to giving me the invoice price (Thanks Again markt540i for the valueable information!!!). The *sneaky* part of the /M-Aero kit is that the invoice price isn't readily available to see.

Anyway, saved my self over $1,200! Just hoping I can do the same for you, another fellow E60er.

Here's the info I got from markt540i:

Invoice Pricing:
Parts: $1,012
Labor: $1,449
Total: $2,461
If you want the rear spoiler, this is extra. Cost is $353

MSRP Pricing:
$3,285 without spoiler, and another $505 for the spoiler.

Again, this is the prices for installation at the Port, a.k.a. the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC). This is how I had my E60 fitted up with the /M-Aero kit. Nice thing is that the paint warranty is not voided since you're getting the body kit installed at the VDC, which is a "BMW factory approved center".

One More thing: When I received my E60 the window sticker had a stamp on it that said, "Additional components added at the Port". There was a smaller window sticker from the VDC that said, "/M-Aero Kit and rear wing installed at the Port" This is how I was able to confirm *where* the /M-Aero kit was installed (and not at a local body shop after arriving at the dealership... )

Good Luck. Hope this info helps.
-CoolTones
Old 11-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='202863
Always start from invoice and work up, not from MSRP working down! This is a very basic strategy recommended by all car buying info sites.
I've found that this strategy does not work out here in Chicago. The dealers (Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW) don't want to play the "how much above invoice game". They will talk off of MSRP (which really is the same thing in the long run) - worse if you upset them, they just stop dealing with you as Missc280 found out.

This is a regional thing however.
[/quote]They would have no choice with me to talk the way I choose to talk because I would walk otherwise. I guarantee they would talk to me in my terms. Why wouldn't they? They want to sell a car, and either party can easily translate into the terms the other uses. You are saying that they would rather use their own vocabulary rather than to sell a car. Hummm? If so, then maybe they should take Econ. 101 (or even Common Sense 101).
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='203000' date='Nov 24 2005, 06:22 PM
This has always struck me as very odd.

The 550i we are talking about in this thread is a USD 62K car, yet most folks are willing to spend hours to bargain and dicker to save what? 1k or 2k?

Is it really worth it to go through all the trouble of contacting multiple dealers, going out of state, etc. to pocket an extra $1,000?? Sure, $1,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but when you've already conditioned yourself to spend $60k to anywhere upwards of $70k (out the door price including tax, title, license, etc.), a savings of $1,000 seems rather trivial.
I agree, but it's not necessarily a matter of foregoing the savings. You just have to know how to talk to a dealer. And, a major thing is being willing to walk no matter how much you want the car. I told a Lexus dealer $500 over cost when the RX 300's were very hot--emphasizing that I wanted an excellent deal, but at the same time emphasizing that I wanted them to make a fair profit. Can't remember what they wanted, but I walked. They called me 3 times over a period of several weeks improving their offer each time until we agreed on $500 over. I have never had to do extensive shopping around, finding competing prices, etc., in order to pay what I thought was fair--having bought a jillion cars in my life. But, of course, having bought a jillion cars helps in knowing how to talk and learning how to walk even if in love with the car.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i, arriving March 2006, Black Sapphire, Premium sound, sport, nav, comfort access, active steering 2004 Porsche Turbo, Slate gray, X50, nav, aero kit

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='203015
Hi 550 Owners:

And Aero kit

Tej
Hi Tej,

I *need* to inform you that the price you paid for the /M-Aero kit is way too high.

markt540i gave me the low down on the actual cost of the /M-Aero kit installation at the VDC and I was able to go back to my dealer and kindly share with them the info I had. My sales guy had given me the *RETAIL* cost but agreed to giving me the invoice price (Thanks Again markt540i for the valueable information!!!). The *sneaky* part of the /M-Aero kit is that the invoice price isn't readily available to see.

Anyway, saved my self over $1,200! Just hoping I can do the same for you, another fellow E60er.

Here's the info I got from markt540i:

Invoice Pricing:
Parts: $1,012
Labor: $1,449
Total: $2,461
If you want the rear spoiler, this is extra. Cost is $353

MSRP Pricing:
$3,285 without spoiler, and another $505 for the spoiler.

Again, this is the prices for installation at the Port, a.k.a. the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC). This is how I had my E60 fitted up with the /M-Aero kit. Nice thing is that the paint warranty is not voided since you're getting the body kit installed at the VDC, which is a "BMW factory approved center".

One More thing: When I received my E60 the window sticker had a stamp on it that said, "Additional components added at the Port". There was a smaller window sticker from the VDC that said, "/M-Aero Kit and rear wing installed at the Port" This is how I was able to confirm *where* the /M-Aero kit was installed (and not at a local body shop after arriving at the dealership... )

Good Luck. Hope this info helps.
-CoolTones
[/quote]

Hi Cooltones:

This is great information. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and readjust the price. I will aim for 2500$. Thanks so much for your information. I would like the work done at Port for all the reasons you mention.

Thanks for saving me 1500$. i owe you one.

I will post my pictures after I get the car.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='202957
Originally Posted by vnod' post='202710' date='Nov 23 2005, 09:49 PM
Ok, then he can try +$1,370 if +$1,000 doesn't work.
You mean +$1,800
[$67,129 -.92($67,120)] - $4,000 = $1,269.60,
[/quote]

Interesting math.

Quick Reply: Purchasing 550i - fair price?