Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Purchasing 550i - fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

My dealer has a new 550i with Comfort access, Nav, Sports, Sirius, Premium Sound etc etc. in the exact configuration and color combination I would want except for a couple of extras I probably could do without. The MSRP is $67,120. I did have an 06 330i on order, but have changed my mind due to the fact that almost certainly the 335 is coming out shortly, and I do not want to buy a car and have the motor changed within 6-8 months. I drove the 550i today, and the low end torque is amazing.

I have purchased both a previous 5 series and an e46 M3 new from this dealer. What could I hope for as far as amount off of MSRP. I know they do not have a lot of these cars, and this one will not last. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by darkside' post='202622' date='Nov 23 2005, 06:34 PM
My dealer has a new 550i with Comfort access, Nav, Sports, Sirius, Premium Sound etc etc. in the exact configuration and color combination I would want except for a couple of extras I probably could do without. The MSRP is $67,120. I did have an 06 330i on order, but have changed my mind due to the fact that almost certainly the 335 is coming out shortly, and I do not want to buy a car and have the motor changed within 6-8 months. I drove the 550i today, and the low end torque is amazing.

I have purchased both a previous 5 series and an e46 M3 new from this dealer. What could I hope for as far as amount off of MSRP. I know they do not have a lot of these cars, and this one will not last. Any help would be appreciated.
Take 92% of MSRP and add $500. Try that amount on for size. If it doesn't work, then compromise on +$750 or +$1,000. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

The bad news is that depending on where you are, many dealers are asking sticker (The 92% and add $500 will get you laughed out of the dealers here in Chicago).

The good news is that inventory is building and these cars are not moving like a car that goes for sticker.

Try for $4,000 off of MSRP and see what happens. They have it in stock so you have more negotiating power. Ordering it will not get you as far. You have a nicely optioned car there.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

The 330i will not be changed to 335i.. 335i will be a new model and i heard it has twin turbo engine on it.

You may try to get the car at about $2000 over invoice... Good luck
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='202694' date='Nov 23 2005, 09:40 PM
The bad news is that depending on where you are, many dealers are asking sticker (The 92% and add $500 will get you laughed out of the dealers here in Chicago).

The good news is that inventory is building and these cars are not moving like a car that goes for sticker.

Try for $4,000 off of MSRP and see what happens. They have it in stock so you have more negotiating power. Ordering it will not get you as far. You have a nicely optioned car there.
Ok, then he can try +$1,370 if +$1,000 doesn't work.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Here's something to try.

Find all the local dealers in your area (i.e., 50mile radius of where you reside/work).

Then e-mail them the specs of the car you are looking at. Ask for their best price for the car -- even if they have to order it for you.

With that info in hand, then go back to the dealer with the car on the lot and ask him/her to match the price. If the dealer balks, then walk and go to the dealer with the lowest offer.

Do this even if you have to order the car and have to tool around in a rental for a bit.

Obviously this is is time intensive and inconvenient, but if you have your heart set on saving a few thousand dollars or otherwise getting the "best" price, this is your best option.

You could alter this strategy and go national, but then you get an offer from out-of-state you have to make sure there is a local dealer willing to do a courtesy delivery. Usually a minimal charge (couple of hundred dollars?) for the courtesy delivery, but some dealers may be willing to waive it.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='202710' date='Nov 23 2005, 09:49 PM
Ok, then he can try +$1,370 if +$1,000 doesn't work.
You mean +$1,800
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Always start from invoice and work up, not from MSRP working down! This is a very basic strategy recommended by all car buying info sites. Your best price will be a Euro delivery deal by far. I and many others on this board have done it, believe me it's worth it! Order the car, and plan your trip for Jan. or Feb, it's off season in Germany and you will habe a blast on the Autobahn.

Originally Posted by branie555' post='202737' date='Nov 23 2005, 11:34 PM
Always start from invoice and work up, not from MSRP working down! This is a very basic strategy recommended by all car buying info sites. Your best price will be a Euro delivery deal by far. I and many others on this board have done it, believe me it's worth it! Order the car, and plan your trip for Jan. or Feb, it's off season in Germany and you will habe a blast on the Autobahn.
BTW, BMW usually runs a Jan. 1 to March 30 program for a two for one airfare deal on Lufthansa, and will even reimburse you up to $600 towards the ticket. Check it out.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='202718' date='Nov 23 2005, 11:02 PM
Here's something to try.

Find all the local dealers in your area (i.e., 50mile radius of where you reside/work).

Then e-mail them the specs of the car you are looking at. Ask for their best price for the car -- even if they have to order it for you.

With that info in hand, then go back to the dealer with the car on the lot and ask him/her to match the price. If the dealer balks, then walk and go to the dealer with the lowest offer.

Do this even if you have to order the car and have to tool around in a rental for a bit.

Obviously this is is time intensive and inconvenient, but if you have your heart set on saving a few thousand dollars or otherwise getting the "best" price, this is your best option.

You could alter this strategy and go national, but then you get an offer from out-of-state you have to make sure there is a local dealer willing to do a courtesy delivery. Usually a minimal charge (couple of hundred dollars?) for the courtesy delivery, but some dealers may be willing to waive it.

Good luck.
I tried that and guess what? the dealer told me to go and get the car from the deslership who quoted me the lowest price (he was mad that i shopped around). . So i did...I ordered from Irvine BMW in CA and shipped it to SC. I did not save anything and waited 2 weeks for the car to arrive. good idea but for me It turned out to be a bad experiene.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by branie555' post='202737' date='Nov 23 2005, 11:36 PM
Always start from invoice and work up, not from MSRP working down! This is a very basic strategy recommended by all car buying info sites.
I've found that this strategy does not work out here in Chicago. The dealers (Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW) don't want to play the "how much above invoice game". They will talk off of MSRP (which really is the same thing in the long run) - worse if you upset them, they just stop dealing with you as Missc280 found out.

This is a regional thing however.

Quick Reply: Purchasing 550i - fair price?